PDA

View Full Version : Should I run w/ this head?

Lee'sdaytona
06-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Hey everyone. Just got done stripping the head down from my 2.5 x-drilled minivan engine. the #4 piston melted and left some stuff on the head (pic included) Now, it also has 3 exhaust studs snapped off in the head, so it would need to go to my machine shop.
OR,
I could use the non x-drilled head from the daytona 2.2, I just have to make sure the cracked piston in that engine (I beleive to be the issue) didn't hurt the head. Also, is there a way to swap cam gears? Or should I just swap the cams? The 2.2 gear is square tooth, the 2.5 is round tooth.
Which head should I use?
thanks,
Lee

Spraynlog
06-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Hey everyone. Just got done stripping the head down from my 2.5 x-drilled minivan engine. the #4 piston melted and left some stuff on the head (pic included) Now, it also has 3 exhaust studs snapped off in the head, so it would need to go to my machine shop.
OR,
I could use the non x-drilled head from the daytona 2.2, I just have to make sure the cracked piston in that engine (I beleive to be the issue) didn't hurt the head. Also, is there a way to swap cam gears? Or should I just swap the cams? The 2.2 gear is square tooth, the 2.5 is round tooth.
Which head should I use?
thanks,
Lee
The picture looks familiar. I had a mound of melted aluminum in #4
combustion chamber after melting part of a piston. Have you tried gently chipping the material out? I got most of mine that way, also used emery cloth for the cylinder ridges.

The 2.2 head should work OK if it is a swirl 782 casting. As far as the cam goes, it would be easiest to change the whole cam/gear as a unit.
Run the 2.5 cam& gear in the 2.2 head. You could use the cross drilled head gasket as a template to drill the 2.2 head, or just not bother with it. I don't know what performance level it will be used at, but for a daily driver the cross drilling won't make much difference.

turbovanmanČ
06-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Just run the 89 roller cam, don't bother with the slider setup.

Lee'sdaytona
06-20-2006, 09:07 PM
I have no idea if its the swirl 782 casting. I am gonna say its not a bathtub head since its a stock 87 head.
So, I can just take the camshaft out of the 2.5 head, install it in the 2.2 head, and I don't have to worry about timing of any sort? In other words, when the little hole in the cam gear is pointing at TDC, I won't have to worry that it really is TDC after switching cams right?
Thanks for your help!
-Lee

turbovanmanČ
06-20-2006, 09:12 PM
I have no idea if its the swirl 782 casting. I am gonna say its not a bathtub head since its a stock 87 head.
So, I can just take the camshaft out of the 2.5 head, install it in the 2.2 head, and I don't have to worry about timing of any sort? In other words, when the little hole in the cam gear is pointing at TDC, I won't have to worry that it really is TDC after switching cams right?
Thanks for your help!
-Lee

TDC is the same on both heads/cams.

Lee'sdaytona
06-20-2006, 09:13 PM
TDC is the same on both heads/cams.
ok, just wanted to make sure I won't screw anything up:)
-Lee

mpgmike
06-21-2006, 09:48 PM
Be sure to use the cam followers appropriate for the cam; ie rollers on roller cam, sliders on slider cam. Had a head come in that had roller followers on a slider cam and it was chewed up beyond....well you get the idea.

Mike

Lee'sdaytona
06-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Anyone know where there are pictures of the difference between the two??
thanks,
Lee

turbovanmanČ
06-22-2006, 03:59 AM
Anyone know where there are pictures of the difference between the two??
thanks,
Lee

Cams or lifters or both?

Its obvious, the roller cams have little wheels in the rocker arms and have rounder profiles, the sliders have a pad that rides against the cam, the profile is more pointier and will be very worn.

Lee'sdaytona
06-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Oh well in that case, I think both my 87 2.2 head and 89 2.5 x-drilled head both have roller cams....Not sure I've seen the slider cam/rocker setup
-Lee

turbo xtc
06-28-2006, 06:25 AM
i used a 1987 slider on my 1989 2.5 i just changed the belt pulleys that was it for the cross-drilled it don't matter it will swap try Spraynlog's idea first and try to save it if not you you might have to use another but the damage don't look too bad

Lee'sdaytona
06-28-2006, 09:34 AM
well for time's sake, I want this van for Carlistle. The x-drilled head I would have to send out to get the exhaust studs that snapped off out. I'd rather just use my non X-drilled head on the X-drilled 2.5 block and fix up the other head in the mean time.
-Lee

Lee'sdaytona
07-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Oh well in that case, I think both my 87 2.2 head and 89 2.5 x-drilled head both have roller cams....Not sure I've seen the slider cam/rocker setup
-Lee
Correction to myself: The 87 does indeed have the slider cam setup. Shows how much I know huh? I swapped in the roller cam/lifter assembly to the 87 head. I was amazed how easy it was. I love working on TD's ...most of the time:lol:
-Lee