PDA

View Full Version : Self-tuning capabilities of 89 2.5 SMEC?

gears351
09-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Hey you gurus out there. will a stock SMEC calibrate itself to an intercooled, boost modified setup?

I fabbed an intake, exhaust & cooler/piping to drop the daytona 2.5 into my RWD Dakota. It's running, but it occasionally pops and the CEL won't turn off - it's flashing the code for the 2 solenoids that I'm not using (wastegate and emissions).

I've got to pass an emission check (tailpipe sniff) so I don't want to be dumping alot of fuel to keep it cool - so far no real problems but the light.

I've got 40 miles on it so far and last night leaving Summit Racing I blew the brake power booster hose off when the turbo hit 10psi.

Let me know what I should do.

Thanks.

contraption22
09-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Plug those solenoids back in and the light will go out.

If all you did was intercool it and put in exhaust on it, the stock cal likely has enough extra fuel to handle it. Just make sure your fuel pump, fuel filter and injectors are in good shape.

But to answer your question, the SMEC has no self-calibrating ability at WOT. It will use the oxygen sensor readings to compensate fueling at part throttle. But at WOT, the computer ignores the 02 sensor and uses primarily the MAP sensor to determine fueling.

turbovanmanČ
09-07-2010, 08:34 PM
What he said but the computer can compensate at part throttle for minor change's.

gears351
09-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Do the solenoids need vac hoses routed to them or will the electrical signal be enough?

Also, seems to open the BOV really quickly (sounds great - Weeeeeeeeee- WWWWHHHHHIIIIIII --SSSSSHHHHHH) it's a Bosch stock unit off..... Uhm off something. Should it see vac signal straight from the manifold or the port off the TB?

Thanks guys.

shackwrrr
09-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Just the resistance of the solenoid is enough. You could hook up resisters of the same value and be good.

turbovanmanČ
09-08-2010, 05:57 PM
BOV goes to manifold vacuum, don't use the throttle body.

GLHNSLHT2
09-08-2010, 10:42 PM
I use the TB, Long as your TB has the right port it see's manifold vacuum.

My T2 setup,
http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1499

And the big bad 2.5 intake with the 58mm TB.
http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3266

turbovanmanČ
09-08-2010, 11:45 PM
I use the TB, Long as your TB has the right port it see's manifold vacuum.

I just prefer not too, too many people screw it up.

Juggy
09-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Im currently using the brake booster