PDA

View Full Version : What's the best drag radials for traction?

Reeves
06-20-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm looking to purchase a couple of drag radials for the front of my OMNI. Longevity is not an issue, I'm only looking for the best hooking drag radials available.

Thanks,
James

DodgeZ
06-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Just drive around with slicks ;) just don't hit any turns hard.

Dave
06-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Just drive around with slicks ;) just don't hit any turns hard.

Why? What happens?? :eyebrows:

Anyways, I use BFG radials. 205/50/15's. They're okay. At 20psi it slips (not blows away) in 1st gear, when I rip back 2nd it slides the tires, but from then on I'm okay.

They're not the best, but they're way better than street tires.

8valves
06-20-2006, 10:01 AM
BFG DR's, in the old style pattern, are the top dogs in the DR classes as of now. However, this is probably because the new Mickey was outlawed.

Mickey Thompson has an incredible DR in 235/60/15... and it's HUGE. Realize that your gearing will change tremendously. My buddies 360whp hatchback will hook FIRST GEAR from a roll on these. A lot of that is the gear change too, but they're damn good... if you can fit them.

M&H also makes the same sized DR, and it is excellent as well. I believe both tires were outlawed in class racing for some reason, but I can't remember as of now.

Also, Hoosier Quick Time Pro's are DOT approved... which is rediculous, but technically you'd be legal. Those are slicks with a couple of lines.

I can barely fit a 225/50/15 BFG DR on my car, with extended studs, and 5/16" spacer, AND coilovers. Now, it would fit easier if I would raise the frnt end, but I like the ride height. I just think a serious offset on the wheel and some fender modifications would be needed to get the 235 stuff to clear. Note that a 235 DR is NOT like a 235 ho hum tire. My 225's measure 9.3" tread width!

AM

Keito
06-20-2006, 12:18 PM
I ran the BFG 225 DR on my Omni last year. They were mounted on
PT Cruiser steel wheels, and I used an 1/8" spacer for good measure.
Fit with no problems. I think they would have fit without the spacer.
I bought these tires to run on my SRT-4.

Marcus86GLHS
06-20-2006, 01:07 PM
for your Omni, i would recommend the B.F. Goodrich Drag Radial series, you cannot go wrong with those. i run them on my omni they hook nice street or track.

but wait, are not you The King of Omni's already? you are in my book.
:-)

powermaxx
06-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Hoosiers!!!!

Much better than the BFG DR. I run the 225-50-15 on the GLHS (they do rub in turns but at the track that's not an issue).

8valves
06-20-2006, 01:46 PM
I ran the BFG 225 DR on my Omni last year. They were mounted on
PT Cruiser steel wheels, and I used an 1/8" spacer for good measure.
Fit with no problems. I think they would have fit without the spacer.
I bought these tires to run on my SRT-4.

Perhaps it has to do with how low my car sits so teh spring perch sits so much lower, and also the offset of my wheels.

Even still. If you want absolute best possible traction from DR's, I'd go with the M&H, MT, or Hoosier's. If you want damn good traction with the possibility of making it through a season or two of DAILY DRIVING duties, not just strip use (they'll last much longer that way) then get the BFG's.

AM

BadAssPerformance
06-20-2006, 01:46 PM
The big thing about cheater slicks is where you're going to use them. On the smooth dragstrip is one thing, on the street is another. The softer tires like the Hoosier Quicktimes will chunk out on a course asphalt surface...

Reeves
06-20-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm pretty sure a normal run of the mill tire in a 225/50/15 would fit on the front with a 6.5" crab and possibly a small spacer.

I'm wanting these for street use. I would rarely use them at the track (that's what the slicks are for!) I'd rather not deal with any chunking, and I also want the sidewall to be able to take turns. I do still drive the OMNI to work on occasion, which is 100 miles round trip.

cordes
06-20-2006, 10:22 PM
I'm pretty sure a normal run of the mill tire in a 225/50/15 would fit on the front with a 6.5" crab and possibly a small spacer.

I'm wanting these for street use. I would rarely use them at the track (that's what the slicks are for!) I'd rather not deal with any chunking, and I also want the sidewall to be able to take turns. I do still drive the OMNI to work on occasion, which is 100 miles round trip.

I would definatly go with the BFGs then.

Reeves
06-20-2006, 10:56 PM
Old style or new style?

contraption22
06-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Perhaps it has to do with how low my car sits so teh spring perch sits so much lower, and also the offset of my wheels.

Even still. If you want absolute best possible traction from DR's, I'd go with the M&H, MT, or Hoosier's. If you want damn good traction with the possibility of making it through a season or two of DAILY DRIVING duties, not just strip use (they'll last much longer that way) then get the BFG's.

AM

What did you do to your car that changed the spring seat's location in relation to the wheel hub?

BadAssPerformance
06-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Old style or new style?

If you can get the older softer ones, but if not, I've heard that the new G-force DR's are decent too.

Ondonti
06-21-2006, 12:59 AM
My spirit has 225/60r15 kumho tires. I have the KYB perches so they have more room.

Gonna swap the suspension over to my Drag Duster.

Ive got slicks for the track but I myself have been wondering what to do for street traction when you have 400+whp on pump gas.
I thought I could try the 275/50r15 MT ET street Radials 26" tall.
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip_et_street_radial.html

Ondonti
06-21-2006, 01:05 AM
BFG DR's, in the old style pattern, are the top dogs in the DR classes as of now. However, this is probably because the new Mickey was outlawed.

Mickey Thompson has an incredible DR in 235/60/15... and it's HUGE. Realize that your gearing will change tremendously. My buddies 360whp hatchback will hook FIRST GEAR from a roll on these. A lot of that is the gear change too, but they're damn good... if you can fit them.

M&H also makes the same sized DR, and it is excellent as well. I believe both tires were outlawed in class racing for some reason, but I can't remember as of now.

Also, Hoosier Quick Time Pro's are DOT approved... which is rediculous, but technically you'd be legal. Those are slicks with a couple of lines.

I can barely fit a 225/50/15 BFG DR on my car, with extended studs, and 5/16" spacer, AND coilovers. Now, it would fit easier if I would raise the frnt end, but I like the ride height. I just think a serious offset on the wheel and some fender modifications would be needed to get the 235 stuff to clear. Note that a 235 DR is NOT like a 235 ho hum tire. My 225's measure 9.3" tread width!

AM

Um, the 225/50r15 bfg DR's only have 9.3" on the "section width". The tread width is probably 7.8" or less.

GLHSKEN
06-21-2006, 06:38 AM
225 is 9"... (roughly) so 9.3" is believable.

AAron, I measured my 8.5" M&H across the tread.. measured 9". Must be something about competition tires... Like how they call a basketball player 6' 10" when he's only 6' 5"

8valves
06-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Um, the 225/50r15 bfg DR's only have 9.3" on the "section width". The tread width is probably 7.8" or less.

As measured on my car sitting in the garage 2 minutes ago- nearly 9.5".

I would go with the BFG's. I run the new G-Force style. The fast DR class guys run the older tread pattern, for unknown reasons to me. The compound is supposed to be the same.

I have coilovers on my car, and they're set to the absolute lowest possible. Yeah, call me a ricer :eyebrows:

The perch then sits so low. If I would raise the lower perch (that's how you adjust the height of the car, if you weren't familiar) then I would have zero clearance issues.

Aaron M

8valves
06-21-2006, 09:10 AM
225 is 9"... (roughly) so 9.3" is believable.

AAron, I measured my 8.5" M&H across the tread.. measured 9". Must be something about competition tires... Like how they call a basketball player 6' 10" when he's only 6' 5"

Yes, and you know what, widths will be different from MFG to MFG too!!

Falken's run a bit wider than most other tires in the same size. DR's are always a lot beefier than what the size would indicate. Why? Couldn't tell you.

AM

Reeves
06-21-2006, 10:41 PM
I ordered a set of the 225/50/15 G-Force T/A Drag Radial Tires. They looked to be the most streetable from all the other brands I looked at.

I will be mounting them on 6.5" crabs for the time being, until I can get a set of 6" pizza wheels re-finished.

BTW, they are much cheaper at Jeg's than at Summit. I actually ordered a small BOV filter, a set of 5 point harnesses, and the 2 tires at Jeg's and saved about $83 over Summit!!

cordes
06-21-2006, 10:52 PM
BTW, they are much cheaper at Jeg's than at Summit. I actually ordered a small BOV filter, a set of 5 point harnesses, and the 2 tires at Jeg's and saved about $83 over Summit!!

Even non-TMers would not scoff at that ammount. :)

Let us know how well those tires work out for you.

8valves
06-21-2006, 11:52 PM
I ordered a set of the 225/50/15 G-Force T/A Drag Radial Tires. They looked to be the most streetable from all the other brands I looked at.

I will be mounting them on 6.5" crabs for the time being, until I can get a set of 6" pizza wheels re-finished.

Words of warning, you will lose much of the tire's contact patch by going to a 6" wheel. You would want a 7" preferrably. Just to let you know!

AM

csxtra
06-22-2006, 12:11 AM
BTW, they are much cheaper at Jeg's than at Summit.

Lets see if this comes across right in text...
JEEEEEEEEGGGSSSSSS!!!!!

Hmm...not as good as when Frank says it...:lol:

Reeves
06-22-2006, 07:36 AM
I've already thought that the pizza would be a little narrow. I'll see how they work out on the crabs and may consider either keeping the crabs on, or buying a set of 15X7 Kosei's.

Thanks for all the help guys!

JEGGGGG's!!!

briceturbosports
06-22-2006, 08:31 AM
they will fit on crabs on my omni they just rub a little when wheel is at full lock and it has stock type struts :thumb:

Ground Rat
06-24-2006, 03:57 PM
BFG DR's, in the old style pattern, are the top dogs in the DR classes as of now.
:confused:

Mickey Thompson makes the fastest DRs period. The current record is 7.408 @ 197.62mph on 325/50 MT DRs in a 3295lb car.

There are new sizes coming out July/August too, sizes like 225/50/15, 315/45-16, 315/40-17, 295/45-17, and 6 new sizes in 18" from 245/40-18 to 345/35-18.

http://www.fuelslut.net/hosting/uploads/MTAd1.jpg

Speedeuphoria
06-24-2006, 07:24 PM
has anyone ever used,or herd about the Nitto Dr's??? I think they're clasified in the 555 series but Dr's
I just ordered some today
they have the only ones in 17" that were what I was looking for 245/45/17 and fit my 7.5" wide wheel

If I could only get that 295/45/17 Mickey ET to fit :confused:

Ground Rat
06-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Nitto DR's are not as sticky as BFGs or MTs, but they last a lot longer. I think they need to be heated up (burnout) a little more than BFGs and MTs too. They are stickiest when they are almost bald. If I lived in a drier climate I would use them as my every day tire.

Speedeuphoria
06-24-2006, 09:58 PM
well that's my plan, well I won't drive it every day but just for the street. They had a review on discounttire.com were a guy had a Vette and said they weren't the best for traction, but lasted 12-14k miles. Another guy said he pulled 1.66 60ft times w/ them. I understand they won't be very sticky but the 245 should make up for that and keep the tire size about the same as the slicks I will get

WVRampage
06-24-2006, 11:58 PM
I use bfg g force ta drag radials on mine in 225/50r15 and they are sticky.

Ground Rat
06-25-2006, 12:05 AM
The 555Rs are pretty sticky, just not as sticky as the BGFs and MTs.

DodgeZ
06-25-2006, 10:23 PM
My dad runs the BFG's on his SRT4. He says they are alright on the street but no where close to slicks. He had to warranty them in last then a year. The sidewalls cracked from "under inflation"..... 17psi at the strip. He pretty much drives them everywhere. I think he had close to 10k on them before they cracked with tread still on them.

Reeves, DR's aren't going to do much for you unless you turn down the boost a good bit or put some fender flares on and run big as tires.

8valves
06-25-2006, 11:07 PM
:confused:

Mickey Thompson makes the fastest DRs period. The current record is 7.408 @ 197.62mph on 325/50 MT DRs in a 3295lb car.

There are new sizes coming out July/August too, sizes like 225/50/15, 315/45-16, 315/40-17, 295/45-17, and 6 new sizes in 18" from 245/40-18 to 345/35-18.

http://www.fuelslut.net/hosting/uploads/MTAd1.jpg

Sorry, I should've clarified- in IDRA racing the old style BFG is tops on Titan's Supra and Krystos Efantis' Lucas Oil Supra, the latter of which in the top 7's.

I thought they were outlawed from IDRA DR class for some reason. I'm not positive though. I DO know that both of th eprevious cars are sponsored by BFG, so that could have smething to do with it.

Even still, the MT's last no where near as long as the BFG's I've seen, and since I drive my car daily on DR's I wanted them to last at least a season of spring/summer/fall.

AM

ShelbyZD
06-26-2006, 11:14 PM
I'm guessing these DR's would be horrible in rainy conditions?

Ground Rat
06-26-2006, 11:36 PM
I'm guessing these DR's would be horrible in rainy conditions?
All DRs are.

8valves, that's interesting info about the IDRA. I've never followed them before so it's good to know what works for them.

fleckster
06-27-2006, 01:34 PM
I think some of you guys are missing the point of what James is trying to do with his GLH-T. The car makes 426hp at the wheels, hooking it up on ANY drag radial is not going to happen. He won't be driving it in the rain. He has a bunch of cars and it doesn't come out when the weather is bad. Hell, last time I looked, the wipers were gone!!! (maybe even the wiper motor and linkage!) The idea is to be able to have "some" traction on the street when he wants to drive to work or screw around. I think the real goal is to drive from the SDAC host hotel to the SRT National host hotel to mess with the guys over there. Imagine rolling into the parking lot, a sweet but old Omni with a very nice sounding exhaust rolling through checking out the action when suddenly he flips the ignition kill switch and shoots intense blue flames out the exhaust tip with his flame thrower and the race gas, then he goes "flame out" and launches across the grounds so quick as to almost disappear!

Ground Rat
06-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Does he have anything done to the suspension to make it hook?

DodgeZ
06-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Does he have anything done to the suspension to make it hook?
it runs 10's.....

8valves
06-27-2006, 11:23 PM
I think some of you guys are missing the point of what James is trying to do with his GLH-T. The car makes 426hp at the wheels, hooking it up on ANY drag radial is not going to happen. He won't be driving it in the rain. He has a bunch of cars and it doesn't come out when the weather is bad. Hell, last time I looked, the wipers were gone!!! (maybe even the wiper motor and linkage!) The idea is to be able to have "some" traction on the street when he wants to drive to work or screw around. I think the real goal is to drive from the SDAC host hotel to the SRT National host hotel to mess with the guys over there. Imagine rolling into the parking lot, a sweet but old Omni with a very nice sounding exhaust rolling through checking out the action when suddenly he flips the ignition kill switch and shoots intense blue flames out the exhaust tip with his flame thrower and the race gas, then he goes "flame out" and launches across the grounds so quick as to almost disappear!

It's not the HP that's making it hard for him to hook- if 1300 whp Supra's can hook on DR's, regardless of RWD, you could make it happen. His torque hit is very severe though, which causes a lot of problems for the suspension to try to keep up, at least from what I can tell.

If he just wants to drive it a couple times with minimal effort sicne the car will be on slicks most of the time, get the BFG's, or wait for the 225/50 MT's to come out.

If he REALLY wants the car to move on DR's, make the MT 235/60/15's work. 550whp Honda's will hook third gear on those tires. Just for reference before anyone becomes an immediate Honda hater, a 550 whp Honda is a 135-140 mph trap car... very stout.

AM

BadAssPerformance
06-27-2006, 11:38 PM
... I think the real goal is to drive from the SDAC host hotel to the SRT National host hotel to mess with the guys over there.

How far are they apart? If I can make it there and back on 5 gallons I might have to bring radials :thumb:

fleckster
06-28-2006, 02:14 AM
I'm not sure on the distance. We are on the West side of town and they are staying downtown. A quick check on Microsoft Streets and Trips puts it at 6.9miles. Bring 'em

[wig guy voice] Do it...Do it [/wig guy voice]

BadAssPerformance
06-28-2006, 02:22 AM
lol... I'll have confirmation that the new rimz shipped tomorrow, now just need to get some drag radials and liscense plates :thumb:

EDIT: need to rig up the headlight motors too... took too many wires out :eek:

glhs875
06-28-2006, 08:49 AM
To run well on a DOT tire, staged boost is the key. I've ran a best of 8.45 @89.5mph (1/8th) so far (12.6 to 12.7 ? 1/4), on 300 treadwear tires with more to come, I'm still tuning in the combo. I have 4 stages of boost when running the street tires, to ramp up the boost slowly in the lower two gears. About halfway into 2nd gear things are turned loose. The stages work off of vehicle speed.

DodgeZ
06-28-2006, 10:15 AM
89.5mph should have a better time then 8.45. Even more so with an auto. I've seen an SRT go 8.706 at 81.44mph with street tires, 19's at that, open diff with no staged boosted.

GLHSKEN
06-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Automatics make a large difference as well. Manuals are much more violent. Reeves is hitting 100 in the 1/8

glhs875
06-28-2006, 10:41 AM
89.5mph should have a better time then 8.45. Even more so with an auto. I've seen an SRT go 8.706 at 81.44mph with street tires, 19's at that, open diff with no staged boosted.

I agree, as you can see by one of the timeslips, it's enough mph for 7's with a good launch and traction. That's why I said more to come, I'm still tuning. Right now, with the way I had things set up, I'm only ripping on the second half of the 1/8th.

glhs875
06-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Automatics make a large difference as well. Manuals are much more violent. Reeves is hitting 100 in the 1/8

I agree, and 100+mph in the 1/8th is impressive! That's one of my goals as well.

glhs875
06-28-2006, 11:05 AM
I could be wrong, but I feel it's going to be tough & unlikely for Reeves to hit a 100mph on DOT's, at the same power level anyway. Kevin Davis' 2.4 16V Daytona is hitting 95+ mph (7.40's) on slicks right now. On the pure street tires at the same boost level (staged) he could only hit 90+ mph. But he ran an 8.39. Which in my book is impressive and I have to try and beat. :thumb:

GLHSKEN
06-28-2006, 11:14 AM
None of this is the reason for the DR's. I doubt he will even TRY to run the 1/4 with the DR's. The reason is just some increased streetability. It's kinda tough when the car boils the tires from a 90 mph roll.

glhs875
06-28-2006, 11:17 AM
None of this is the reason for the DR's. I doubt he will even TRY to run the 1/4 with the DR's. The reason is just some increased streetability. It's kinda tough when the car boils the tires from a 90 mph roll.

My bad, I'll be quiet, I just thought I would say that staging the boost to gain traction on DOT's does work if you want to run quick on them both on the street & strip. I tried it both ways.

GLHSKEN
06-28-2006, 11:27 AM
No... You are doing a great job... Just different animals and goals. The info you've given will help folks... I'll be doing that with a 2.2L car nearly identical in every other way to Reeves car.

Heck. He's working on ways to stage the Boost or alternate methods to keep from blowing the 25" slicks away into 3rd gear. He has WAY too much torque.

glhs875
06-28-2006, 11:29 AM
No... You are doing a great job... Just different animals and goals. The info you've given will help folks... I'll be doing that with a 2.2L car nearly identical in every other way to Reeves car.

Heck. He's working on ways to stage the Boost or alternate methods to keep from blowing the 25" slicks away into 3rd gear. He has WAY too much torque.

Alrighty then! Thanks! :thumb:

DodgeZ
06-28-2006, 01:05 PM

http://turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=54273&postcount=2

I wasn't joking :eyebrows: He isn't going to be able to run with DR's unless he turns the boost down or runs some really big DR's.

If he is doing it to mess with the SRT guys that should be a sight to see. There are alot and I mean alot of 400-500whp+ SRT's and I sure alot of them will be at the Nats. Revees has them beat on weight but you can run bigger tires on an SRT. All I know is I want video! Does that machine have two seats in it?

fleckster
06-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Does that machine have two seats in it?

Does it have two seats? Are you talking about Reeves' Omni?!? It has a full interior! We love to take four or five people for a ride while driving up to the staging lanes, pile out like clowns out a car, and say, "Yeaaaaa, were gonna run 11s. Yeaaaaaaaa, " like a bunch of Ree Rees.

BadAssPerformance
06-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Does it have two seats? Are you talking about Reeves' Omni?!? It has a full interior! We love to take four or five people for a ride while driving up to the staging lanes, pile out like clowns out a car, and say, "Yeaaaaa, were gonna run 11s. Yeaaaaaaaa, " like a bunch of Ree Rees.

lol... yep, remember that from the Nats :thumb:

What size tires are the SRT-4's running? I should have my SRT-4 wheels by friday.

EDIT: I have 2 seats too ;)

fleckster
06-28-2006, 02:01 PM
They run 205/50-17s.

DodgeZ
06-28-2006, 02:18 PM
You can run 19" rims. So I'd say you could stuff some big tires under it.

DodgeZ
06-28-2006, 02:19 PM
26x8.5x15s.

http://www.lujanmotorsports.com/data/i/cabezaracing.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/DominicanDan/DSCF0006.jpg

DodgeZ
06-28-2006, 02:26 PM

Sweet!

BadAssPerformance
06-28-2006, 02:29 PM
You can run 19" rims. So I'd say you could stuff some big tires under it.

True... I know i can fit a fat tire under the Z but I need to make sure it will fit on the shadow too.

Ground Rat
06-28-2006, 08:29 PM
it runs 10's.....
That doesn't answer the question. There are cars running mid 10's @ 140+. They don't hook.

BadAssPerformance
06-28-2006, 08:50 PM
That doesn't answer the question. There are cars running mid 10's @ 140+. They don't hook.

heck, my slow 11 second car will spin them thru any gear on BFG ZR 225's... havnt tried DR's yet tho but need to bad!

Ground Rat
06-28-2006, 08:55 PM
heheh, I was just pointing out that just because a car runs a certain ET doesn't mean it has good traction.

BadAssPerformance
06-28-2006, 08:57 PM
only if it had the correcct mph to go with it... at 11.62 @ 120, you think my car has a little wheelspin :thumb:

GLHSKEN
06-28-2006, 09:16 PM
heheh, I was just pointing out that just because a car runs a certain ET doesn't mean it has good traction.

That's understood... Traction is something always being worked on.. Miracle fix, wheelie bar... outcome.. looks stupid for a DD type car.

When you trap 130 in the 1/4 the car is BAD... I don't care if you haze the hydes or not. Reeves Omni is about the most impressive car I've seen. Sure he could go auto and better his times. But MAN can he shift!!

Ground Rat
06-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Yeah I'm not kocking his car at all, I was just curious what suspension work he had done. His car sounds pretty badass.

Ground Rat
06-28-2006, 09:34 PM
only if it had the correcct mph to go with it... at 11.62 @ 120, you think my car has a little wheelspin :thumb:
...and your car is badass too. :D :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
06-28-2006, 09:38 PM
...and your car is badass too. :D :thumb:

Thanks, 5-Speeds Rule!

glhs875
06-28-2006, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=GLHSKEN]That's understood... Traction is something always being worked on.. Miracle fix, wheelie bar... outcome.. looks stupid for a DD type car.

Do wheelie bars really work good? I've been thinking about trying some along with the traction bar / swaybar mod that Warren beat me to. That way maybe the front tires will end being pried into the pavement!

glhs875
06-28-2006, 09:40 PM

Yea, you be spinning! That's still impressive!

BadAssPerformance
06-28-2006, 09:42 PM
Yea, you be spinning! That's still impressive!

Thanks.

120mph is an 11.00 in a RWD car with traction...

DodgeZ
06-29-2006, 08:31 AM

:dancingbana:

contraption22
07-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Do wheelie bars really work good? I've been thinking about trying some along with the traction bar / swaybar mod that Warren beat me to. That way maybe the front tires will end being pried into the pavement!

Wheelie bars effectively lengthen the wheelbase, giving you a higher percentage of the vehicles weight on the front wheels, while also limiting weight transfer to the rear.

deuce dodge
07-11-2006, 07:32 PM
well i borrowed a used set of nittos from my son 205/50/15..........sigh

deuce