PDA

View Full Version : Q For Owners Of Original Condition Whittier Cars and/or Original T2/T3 Cars

Marcus86GLHS
09-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Subject is worm-drive clamps on the intercooler hoses.

Chad T (of this board) recently noticed I had a couple incorrect aftermarket clamps on my upper i/c hoses on my 86S, he informed me the correct ones were supplied by the Breeze Corporation.

After a little research I found two distinct types (series) of Breeze worm-drive clamps found on original 86S cars, they are marked on the screw housing as follows:

"400 Series
Aero Seal
Breeze"

and also found were:

"All Stainless
Hi Torque
Breeze"

The Breeze website shows both items as a distinct series (Aero Seal and Hi Torque), with distinct features.

Can owners of original condition cars look at these intercooler tract clamps and chime in as to what they see? That would sorta help establish whether these two types or maybe even more types of Breeze manufactured clamps were used by Whittier or at Chrysler.

The IPC isnt much help, it only gives the CPN, cant cross-ref. to a Breeze number.

Thanks.

cordes
09-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Wow, you've got to have a good eye to notice that. Kudos to you guys for being so accurate in your restoration and maintenance of these cars. Very impressive.

2.216VTurbo
09-03-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't have an 86 S car yet, but Aero Seal Breeze was everywhere on my 87 GLHS. AN interesting thing is that they made a 'black coated' Aeroseal Breeze and used them on all the IC/intake connections on the TC Masi's. Those balck clamps are really cool:eyebrows:

Chad T
09-03-2010, 08:36 PM
AN interesting thing is that they made a 'black coated' Aeroseal Breeze and used them on all the IC/intake connections on the TC Masi's. Those balck clamps are really cool:eyebrows:

Now THAT is cool! Mark note that down for Turbo Mopar Jeopordy. :lol:

As I told Mark all of my clamps say. "400 Series Aero Seal".

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/breezeclamp.JPG

4 l-bodies
09-03-2010, 11:51 PM
I don't have an 86 S car yet, but Aero Seal Breeze was everywhere on my 87 GLHS. AN interesting thing is that they made a 'black coated' Aeroseal Breeze and used them on all the IC/intake connections on the TC Masi's. Those balck clamps are really cool:eyebrows:

I'm into stock appearing stuff too but If I have a choice of #3 series non magnetic stainless with matching stainless screw, or #4 magnetic stainless with zinc plated screw, you know which I'm gonna choose.
What about the cheap zinc plated steel radiator clamps? Correct yes, but #300 stainless stays beautiful forever.
Alan, now not to burst your bubble on the black hose clamps, but if your black clamps were really cool, they would say 300 Norton all stainless and not 400 (poohy) Aero Seal Breeze clamps:p. Some TC's had em. Better go check your fleet.:D
Todd

Marcus86GLHS
09-04-2010, 05:02 AM
black coated clamps on the hoses would ne a nice touch, those must be anodized i would imagine.

Chads car has all Aero Seals, any owners seeing the Hi Torque series of Breeze clamps? I have them on my 86S, along with the Aero Seals, and I know of one other 86S that also has a mix of Aero Seal and Hi Torque.

TODD I bet you know this topic better than most, do you recall seeing both types of Breeze clamps on the various intercooled cars you've handled?

RoadWarrior222
09-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Wow, you folks had better keep number cars away from me, I wouldn't be able to bring myself to swap out functioning clamps for ones that said something different on them. Hell I probably wouldn't even bother having Californian air shipped up for a factory fill of the tires.

4 l-bodies
09-04-2010, 09:33 PM
black coated clamps on the hoses would ne a nice touch, those must be anodized i would imagine.

Chads car has all Aero Seals, any owners seeing the Hi Torque series of Breeze clamps? I have them on my 86S, along with the Aero Seals, and I know of one other 86S that also has a mix of Aero Seal and Hi Torque.

TODD I bet you know this topic better than most, do you recall seeing both types of Breeze clamps on the various intercooled cars you've handled?
Mark,
I don't recall if I've seen both styles on the #'ed cars. I just knew if they weren't all 300 stainless they weren't going back on any of my cars.;)
Hose clamps are a small pet peeve of mine. The company that installed my underground sprinkler system at my home used cheap zinc plated hose clamps (screws). Fast forward 15 years later and I've dug up every last sprinkler head. There is about 50 or so of them. That's two hose clamps per hole! After the head rounds off due to rust they are not fun to remove without damaging the hose they are attached to. Have to dig about a 2' diameter hole so I can get a cutoff wheel at the rusted out hose clamp. So there will be nothing but all stainless hose clamps in my future.:nod:
Todd

Chad T
09-05-2010, 01:42 AM
Wow Todd. Thanks for the great info. You can't find Breeze Aero Seal 400 Series clamps anymore. Makes sense if 300 series (which is available) is the higher grade.

I'm so impressed by the quality of the boost hoses and hose clamps on these cars. I was into Audis for a long time and the first theng to pop when up grading was the boost hoses.

jonnyb
09-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Mark,

I checked yesterday and 86S 141 has the same exact clamps in Chad's pic.

Jon

RoadWarrior222
09-07-2010, 08:11 AM
So there will be nothing but all stainless hose clamps in my future.:nod:
Todd

Since I'm at the "keeping it working" rather than "keeping it original" end of things, I tend to find that stainless clamps are good enough quality to use as fuel line clamps at the fuel filter. Even name brand non-stainless clamps are a total crap-shoot, and often rip the cage that holds the worm off under not much duress, but stainless, tend to be uniformly well made. I have an assorted package of cheapy clamps in the glove box for emergencies, but planned repairs always get stainless steel. I don't think the price is even all that much different for single clamps think it's about 25% more. It's 50c vs 38c for the ones I use for the fuel filter. It's not the place to pinch pennies. Particularly since you can usually re-use them over and over, where it's usually replace every time you touch them with the others.

My technique with rusty hose clamps is usually to just overtighten them and it either rips them apart or the band splits. Or sometimes I just grab across the top from side to side with vice grips and twist to bust them off.

Marcus86GLHS
09-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Jonny thanx for checking #141 thats a good reference car.

So you did confirm that the clamp at the throttle body is the Aero Seal series not Hi Torque series? The Hi Torque's are wider by about .075".

I'm gonna crawl around Dominic's #015 and see if that car has any of the Hi Torque series on perhaps the turbo to i/c lower hose.

Marcus86GLHS
09-07-2010, 05:45 PM
just received the new clamps from Breeze.

the Hi Torques are identical to the ones i found installed on my car, but, the Aero Seals have two differences, neither difference is easy to spot once installed:

1. rather than "400 Series", these new ones are marked "All Stainless", rest of markings are same as the originals (see 1st post).

2. There is no extra pigtail extension on the underside of the clamp. The original Aero Seals have that nice extra feature which is designed to protect soft materials like intercooler hoses. So Breeze made a design change right there. The Hi Torques, both old ones and new ones, do have that extension pigtail so they are a better clamp, as advertised on the Breeze data page.

Once installed the new Aero Seals should pass a close inspection from the "judges".

4 l-bodies
09-07-2010, 07:46 PM
just received the new clamps from Breeze.

Once installed the new Aero Seals should pass a close inspection from the "judges".

What judges? ROFL. If I recall correctly the last "judged" SDAC class (at least for the 86 GLHS's) was at Waukegan, IL. Was that SDAC 14? IIRC, Bill McPeak's and Steve Eiker's cars were entered in 86 class. Both very nice cars, but neither even close to showroom stock. I remember noticing many, many, subtle modifications on both cars. Not even close to the way they rolled off the showfloor. And in many cases, that's a good thing!:amen:
My point is if SDAC isn't going to have a judged class, who is?:confused2: You two might be your own worst critics.:p
Todd

Marcus86GLHS
09-08-2010, 04:54 AM
+1 to that Todd, I was actually trying to be sarcastic. i do prefer having as much of the stuff on my car original/NOS/stock looking provided the item doesnt interfere with my goal of getting into the 12's, so the correct clamps fit the plan.

Chad T
09-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Mark that pigtail (liner) is an option.

http://www.breezeclamps.com/liner.htm

Todd I think "the judges" Mark was refering to was me since I'm the one who busted him for having Home Depot style clamps on his GLHS intercooler hoses. :D

Marcus86GLHS
09-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Chad thanks, and yes you are for sure one of the judges.

the part # i ordered and received does indeed end in "H", but doesnt have the liner. part # i got is 200 36H.

I spoke with Breeze moments ago. part # 9436 is the equivalent to the #200 36 clamp, but, the #9436 does NOT have the correct marking for the 86S, the #9436 clamp only says "Breeze", it is not marked "Aero Seal". so, you'd get the liner, but not the correct marking.

apparently you cannot get an Aero Seal with a liner anymore. why they kept the same part # as 25 years ago, yet made a significant design change, is counter-intuitive to me. you do that in the aircraft parts business and you can end up with dead people.

jonnyb
09-11-2010, 07:12 AM
Too funny Chad - that's what I was going to say to Todd about the "judges" Mark was talking about.

Mark's car is so overdetailed (for lack of a better description), that after you get past giving it all the oooh's and ahhh's it deserve's, it seems that it's human nature to start to pick things out that aren't right. I do it to Mark all the time, so I'm probably one of the judges as well!

Here's the way I picture it went down: Mark shows up at the car show and while he's setting up his display, Chad is ooohing and ahhhing over the car. Then they hang out and talk for a few minutes and all the while Chad is still looking over Mark's overdetailed engine bay. Because he is looking so closely at all the detailing, the incorrect clamp marking jumps right out at him and he points it out immediately to Mark. Then a friendly debate ensues and something about "I would have missed that on jeopardy" is mumbled by a defeated Mark. Then after mulling it over in his head and not sleeping that night, he posts a thread on this forum.

Am I close:lol:

Mark, if you want, I have a pretty big stash of stock clamps and I'm sure we can find you some clean, correct originals. Let me know how many you need and I'll see what I can do.

Jon

Chad T
09-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Pretty close Jonny. Actually it was the width and color of the clamps I noticed at first as I looked from the side then the horror as I walked around front to confirm they were cheapo hardware store clamps on Marks immaculate GLHS.

I didn't say anything to him at the show as I was already feeling guilty about the angst from the dusty conditions.:D

His car is something to see. Any little thing jumps out at you though. I've got him chasing correct rectangular speed nuts for his hood vent block off plate now.

Then we can re-inspect it. :lol:

Marcus86GLHS
09-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Jonny thanx for the nice offer and I'd say your insight above is pretty much dead on...I am gonna just go with these new Breeze Aero Seals, they look so close to the 25 year old clamps and after a close inspection all my clamps appear to be originals except for the (2) clamps Chad spotted at the Audi show.

(when i added a bov on the lower i/c hose i needed to add 2 more clamps, thus, i made this error).

Gonna get the right push-nuts on the hood block off plate next, thanks again Chad.