PDA

View Full Version : 85 Omni GLH-T TII

1985ShlbyChrger
06-19-2006, 05:11 PM
It kills me to have to get rid of the best car I have ever had, but I just got another car. It's a Reliant, an 86 Tan w/woodgrain Wagon. I was going to keep the Omni and run the Wagon as well, but I can't have two turbo cars on insurance,and since the Reliant has more space, which is important because I'm going off to college in 2 months i am keeping it.

Specs on the Omni

85 GLH-T Factory Non A/C car
176k miles on the body
Black w/maroon interior

87 TII Motor has ~9k miles on a complete rebuild. It was checked for taper and wear and only needed honing. It is still STD bore. Forged rods, cast crank for weight savings, std size Mahle pistons, ARP rod bolts, new main/rods/int shaft bearings, MP 2006 headgasket, Magnecor wires, new cap and rotor, NGK plugs, has a new HEP it died on me in Maryland so I was forced to buy a brand new one. The 02 sensor has probably 500 miles on it, replaced it just before the head was rebuilt.

85 G Head has around 400 miles since being redone. New guides, was cleaned and pressure checked, it was resurfaced, had a 3 angle valvejob, new valve seals, it has a repaired hole for the thermostat, it was stripped and they put a heli-coil in it.

A-520 transmission- Has a dual diaphragm pressure plate, ceramic/organic disk, and a cromoly plate. Trans shifts great, no problems with it whatsoever. Car has a Shadow shifter and Daytona shift cables. I didn't have any Shadow cables so i used Daytona ones. Works just the same. Has a newer SDS also.

Exhaust-3" side exit. It has a 2.5" flange on it from the turbo, then after about 1 inch back enlarges to 3". No cat, but has a 3" bullet muffler. Exits right in front of the drivers side rear tire, tucked up under the car so it's hard to see. Uses all factory hangers.

Wiring- 85 TI harness, with the conversion to Daytona TII electronics. I added the wires for an external map, the 3 wire O2, and for the AIS/ TPS connectors. I did not cut and splice, I took these pins from the LM connectors of an 87 TII harness and plugged them into the right sockets in the 85 TI connectors. I wanted this to look factory like, so no cutting and splicing. Car runs fantastic with this wiring and also looks factory.

Intercooler- Has a front mount intercooler. It is from a small diesel box truck, and fits perfectly in the front of an Omni. The car has stainless intercooler piping. Mostly silicone connectors, other than 3 plumbing ones because I ran out of silicone. T bolt clamps as well. There will be no BOV on the car, I am borrowing a friends now because I don't have one. There will be a Mitsu turbo on the car.

Brakes- stock brakes, but all were gone through and replaced if needed. Has new wheel cylinders on the rear along with new shoes, Left front has a new caliper and rotor, and both fronts have new flex hoses and pads. Car stops excellent!

Body- Has some rust, it came from Connecticut. I won't lie, the drivers side rear wheelwell is getting bad and the floor has two spots that I am in the process of fixing. The floor spots aren't bad. The paint on this car is terrible, it was previously spray painted over the bad factory paint, and it's now peeling. I am going to sand down the roof and respray it. The hatch lip is rusty, but I have another rust free hatch to go with it, just needs sprayed black and installed.

Interior- No carpet, and is missing some interior pieces. I bought it with only the dash, front seats, door panels and console. The rest of the interior was stripped out, they were going to make it a race car. I added as many good parts that I could scrounge from the junkyard. Still needs a few things. There is no radio. The 520 shifter was installed so that the stock center console could be retained.

Wheels- Car will come with Pizza wheels, same way I got it. Tires are not too great, and two of the pizzas were machine polished, the other two need to be polished.

This car runs and drives awesome. I hate to get rid of it but two turbo cars on the insurance is gonna kill me. I am asking for $2300. I ran it at Mason Dixon, and babying it I ran a 15.40 at 94. 60 ft was 2.75, so you can tell I didn't hammer on it. I shifted at 5k rpm. This car definitely has potential.
I never beat on the car, I like it too much. I always let it idle for 3-5 minutes after running it, depending on how I was driving it. I need a car that gets better gas mileage, gas is too expensive where I'm going to college to afford premium all the time. I am also entertaining offers for other cars plus cash for this car, like N/A dodge cars. Must be 5 spd though.

Bardo
06-22-2006, 10:53 PM
any pic?

85shelbycharger
06-24-2006, 09:36 AM
There are pics in this thread AJ:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118690