PDA

View Full Version : Painting a GLHS black, but what one?

kleiner
08-31-2010, 12:01 AM
The car is in ok shape. Looking to paint her now so that she will last longer.
Black is the colour of choice, but flat or gloss?
Originally I wanted it flat black, but now I am seeing too many of these on the road. I have been debating gloss, but because I am doing all the work in a little garage, I think the gloss will show all my mistakes and it will be my daily driver, black is tough to keep nice.
Is there any colour that may be in between? anybody gone through this or have any ideas?
Thanks

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2577091

86seeS
08-31-2010, 12:04 AM
charcol gray?

prepared
08-31-2010, 12:09 AM
If you're going to change the color of a GLHS ( :( ) in order to hide sub-par body work, you might as well go ahead and paint it white.

kleiner
08-31-2010, 01:03 AM
Charcol gray is nice do you have any more pics
I do like the bently colour from one of my magazines
here is a link
http://www.luxury4play.com/rolls-royce-bentley/43159-supersports-dark-grey-satin-matte-finish.html

As for the colour. I am doing this more to save the car from further deterioration. I do not have much time, or cash and would like this car to last awhile. I figured that as long as I kept it black or a dark grey it will be fine. It will be my first car for paint and I have tons of hours into it already. I think it will turn pretty good, but if I do a glossy black and it comes out not so good i will be pissed.

kleiner
08-31-2010, 01:13 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50988&highlight=white+glhs

Not a bad Idea huh,
Still thinking Black or dark grey though

ajakeski
03-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Gloss black.

Turbo224
03-04-2011, 11:42 AM
I want to see a satin black GLHS. That would look great in my opinion.

Force Fed Mopar
03-04-2011, 12:09 PM
I want to see a satin black GLHS. That would look great in my opinion.

This is what I am going to do with my '87 GLHS.

cordes
03-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Just paint it primer black. If you don't like it you can finish it off.

4 l-bodies
03-04-2011, 01:40 PM
The car is in ok shape. Looking to paint her now so that she will last longer.
Black is the colour of choice, but flat or gloss?
Originally I wanted it flat black, but now I am seeing too many of these on the road. I have been debating gloss, but because I am doing all the work in a little garage, I think the gloss will show all my mistakes and it will be my daily driver, black is tough to keep nice.
Is there any colour that may be in between? anybody gone through this or have any ideas?
Thanks

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2577091
The difference between a gloss black and flat black (and anything in between) is a flattening additive. Varying the amount of flattening additive will adjust the sheen. An example of this is between your taillights and mirrors. Both could be be same exact paint with a flattening additive mixed in to kill most of the gloss. Your correct, gloss black shows all bodywork flaws more so than all other colors so get the bodywork straight. There is nothing like flawless black paint though. Ironically painters call perfect paint "flat".

amoparx
03-04-2011, 03:07 PM
There is nothing like flawless black paint though. Ironically painters call perfect paint "flat".

Funny, so your old GLHS's gloss black was flat. Very flat!!!

kleiner
03-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Car is painted, went with the origional black.
Just looking for decals

Turbo224
03-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Pictures?

kleiner
03-22-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm a nob I only took a video. As well I only know how to post pics on Cardomain. I am working on her this week, so I will take some pics.

RoadWarrior222
03-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Caterpillar yellow, you can probably buy it in a 5 gallon drum at the farm supply store :D

Edit: whoops, didn't read far enough down, hope it holds up how you want.

Orangetona
03-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Honostly, I think it looks terrible, cant wait to paint mine this summer.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/Charger4.jpg

shackwrrr
03-24-2011, 09:00 PM
I like the new black that dodge has, brilliant black crystal pearlcoat.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHZ4ycw1vxtSAWjfzjPYzM6h-OYe99fEAEahvA4nl_E5cQs_TcKA&t=1

kleiner
03-31-2011, 04:50 PM
I too like the black dodge pearl. But I found out that unless you have had practise pearl is a tough one to get right.

rbryant
03-31-2011, 05:02 PM
On a related note,

How many people would be offended if I did my 87 GLHS in silver with black decals (or better yet black airbrushed lettering instead of decals)?

Black kind of sucks in the phoenix sun... :)

-Rich

Orangetona
03-31-2011, 06:18 PM
On a related note,

How many people would be offended if I did my 87 GLHS in silver with black decals (or better yet black airbrushed lettering instead of decals)?

-Rich

Hey, its all up to you man. I love GLHS's black but ive thrown around the idea of doing something different.

SebringLX
03-31-2011, 08:45 PM
On a related note,

-Rich

Brilliant Silver Metallic FTW!

vipernbox
03-31-2011, 10:17 PM
What would Carroll Shelby Do?

PAINT THE DANG THING ANY COLOR HE WANTED !!!! :)

I am all for a nice restoration... and think our cars deserve that... But geez.. I think I am going to paint my one of those really really dark almost black charcoal greys... Something with a hint of metallic or pearl in it.... Along the lines of the Subaru Obsidian Black Pearl... Or that Honda Nighthawk black... with just a touch more grey/silver...

Sorry guys... mine is also not getting the original paint code...

Force Fed Mopar
04-01-2011, 11:38 AM
On a related note,

-Rich

I think it'd be cool. I too am gonna have the lettering painted on this time.

RoadWarrior222
04-01-2011, 12:07 PM
IMO if the original paint is completely unrecoverable, even to slightly weathered survivor standard, then it doesn't really matter what you slap on it, 'coz if you paint it back original color later, it's not any less original as repainting it original color in the first place...