PDA

View Full Version : power steering belts

grim
12-30-2005, 09:43 AM
i have a 87 block and im using the 89 plastic power steering pump . im having a prob getting the right belt to fit . what belt should i use ?

thanks
billy

Lee'sdaytona
12-30-2005, 12:15 PM
do you mean the "V" doesn't fit right or is the belt too long/short? I'm thinking maybe if the 89 was a C block and the 87 isn't, maybe the bracket was mounted slightly differently and it doesn't allow the pulley to move in or out enough for your belt tension? Of course, its always possible you have the wrong belt as well :)
-Lee

inmyshadow
12-30-2005, 12:31 PM
have you done anything to take tension off the pump? There are two different types/ways to tension the pump.

One is setup similar to the alt tensioner. On the back of the pump you turn a nut to adjust tension.

Second one is similar to doing a serpetine belt. Put on a 1/2in drive rachet or breaker bar. Then you move the pump back and forth to tension.

grim
12-30-2005, 07:07 PM
i have the pump where it can move all the way out and all the way in the v belt i have is for a 87 shadow . the block is from a 87 shadow .lol the belt is to long .

grim
12-31-2005, 11:56 AM
does anyone know or am i doing something no one has done before?

inmyshadow
12-31-2005, 12:41 PM
whynot take the belt to the parts store. Tell them you need a shorter one. Repeat until you get the correct length belt.

I just did this for my underdrive pulley. The part numbers I got from turbododge.com for the powersteering belt were too short. So after two trips, I finally got the correct one.

later

Lee'sdaytona
12-31-2005, 02:57 PM
^^ good point. These are simple V belts and should be fairly easy to match one up that works for you :D
good luck
-Lee