PDA

View Full Version : coolant mods

ottawa rogue
06-19-2006, 01:33 PM
has anyone ever ran the thermostat off of the end of the head before?
i got to thinking (a bad thing, i know,i know) that is you were to fabricate a t-stat housing on the driver's end of the head, that would eliminate a lot of the #4 cooling problems.
maybe you could use a t-stat housing extender like the circle track guys do on their manifolds.

sound like a good idea? or one for file 13?
bryan

3Bar_Mopar
06-19-2006, 02:08 PM
It's been done.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94722

ottawa rogue
06-19-2006, 06:37 PM
thanks for the link, 3bar. that's not exactly what i had in mind though.
i was talking about eliminating the thermostat from the front of the head, and
putting it in the location of the freeze plug on the driver's side of the head.
this should allow the coolant to flow across all 4 cylinders equally.
that's more what i was thinking.

mpgmike
06-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Yes it's been done. Can't remember where I saw it, but the t-stat was where the freeze plug is normally, and there was a block-off plate over where the t-stat goes normally. All your coolant and oil lines will need to be re-routed, and you'll be cutting and building your own custom upper rad hose, but I agree...That would be the absolute best #4 coolant mod you could possibly do.

Mike

puppet
06-19-2006, 09:56 PM
If I'm not mistaken Warren (2+2=8) did this. The might be another detailed pic on Gary's site as well.

cordes
06-19-2006, 10:22 PM
That does sound like a good idea. If you have acess to a tig welder, I would think it would be rather simple to do. It would sure beat messing up a 1K dollar head trying to do the coolant mod linked to. :nod:

ottawa rogue
06-20-2006, 12:39 PM
how much room behind that freeze plug is there? i was thinking of getting a block of aluminum, having that machined so a thermostat would fit, and bolting that to the side of the head. then i would run a 90deg. housing off fo the block for the hose.

puppet
06-20-2006, 04:23 PM
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/the_reliant_2000.html
Scroll about halfway down the page for the picture.

ottawa rogue
06-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Ok, thanks puppet.
i thought i'd seen something like that before, but wasn't sure where:thumb:
that's pretty much what i was thinking