PDA

View Full Version : Injector Swap

Subliminal
08-26-2010, 01:57 PM
So, my truck had been running a little rough so I pulled my '160 hp' injectors out and took them to a diesel shop. He said they were still usable, but on the fringe. He wanted $45 to test them, and should they need work the $45 would come off of the work.

He said rebuild or replace was $90 each...or $540 for all 6...plus a $20 install kit.

I went looking on line and found that the injectors known as 'Bosch 190s', which are supposed to be a 30ish hp bump for my truck, were $385 plus $15 shipping. So for $400 I decided I'd rather move up instead of just rebuild.

The earlier, non-intercooled trucks had injectors about the size of the 190s (call them 185s if you will) and when they switched to IC they reduced the size.

At any rate, replacing them was interesting. I had to make a puller tool to remove the old ones as they were really pretty stuck. A 2.5 inch piece of pipe a bolt with a nut welded to the bottom and a few nuts and washers and the oldies were out.

The new injectors came with everything I needed to install them. Collars, washers, o rings, etc...

So, they went in fairly easily. A few of them had to be...massages.

I have turned the pump up on my truck. Stock was about 18 PSI and I was getting roughly 24. With the new injectors and no pump modifications, that changed to 28 with the new injectors. I'm sure I can get more, but...

Before when I really romped on it, or when I was at such a low RPM that it couldn't build boost fast enough, the truck would roll some coal. Now I have to be careful not to leave a black cloud behind me. I guess that can be fun in some instances, but I'll have to be cautious in others.

More testing is required, but so far:

Swapped to a 5 speed
Turbo exhaust housing was 21CM, now 12CM with welded shut wastegate (much faster spool)
190 injectors.

I think I'm done for a while....I hope so at any rate. ;)