PDA

View Full Version : catch cans / battery tray

lengel
08-25-2010, 11:22 PM
I just got done making my catch can setup tonight, and thought I would post a few pictures of it. I have to give credit to carroll / Brian as they came up with the idea of puting the catch can next to the battery, I just made mine alittle different. Here are some pics of it.
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo237/bethany017/Picture1601.jpg
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo237/bethany017/Picture1602.jpg
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo237/bethany017/Picture1603.jpg
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo237/bethany017/Picture1604.jpg
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo237/bethany017/Picture1605.jpg
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo237/bethany017/Picture1606.jpg
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo237/bethany017/Picture1607.jpg
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo237/bethany017/Picture1608.jpg

30 PSI SHADOW
08-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Very nice! let me know when you make extras,as im looking for someone to make me one....

Bardo
08-25-2010, 11:28 PM
That's a slick set up

bakes
08-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Time to put them into production!!!!!!!!

Turbo3Iroc
08-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Very nicely done. I like how you made the tab on the bottom fit into the original battery tray hold down like it was meant to be there all along.

turbovanmanČ
08-26-2010, 02:18 AM
Very nice, :hail:

Do you have any baffles in your valve covers?

mr glenn
08-26-2010, 11:49 PM
very good work makes me jealous

omni_840
08-27-2010, 12:28 AM
Nice!

dds78910
08-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Man that looks good!

Nemesismachine
08-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Wow, those are sexy cans. no homo.

Mopar318
08-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Wow, that robot did a nice job on that!

Nice skills there, I bet that took a while to design. Works is A+

How well do those batteries work? I need to find a smaller battery for my 2.4 turbo first gen neon. How much do they cost?

zin
08-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Very nicely done! Looks well designed and executed!:thumb:

I imagine more than a few of us wouldn't mind having just the battery tray part, as it would make running the IC piping much easier/cleaner, and it won't rust! And, if you hard anodize it, it won't conduct either...

The only question becomes, is that battery up to the challenge of day to day running? If so, I have a new project...

Mike

BadAssPerformance
08-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Nice work as always lengel :clap:

thefitisgay
08-30-2010, 06:36 AM
that things awesome

lengel
08-31-2010, 12:59 AM
Thanks Guys! I didnt get the car running yet so I dont know how well the battery works. No baffles in the valve covers. I dont think Ill be making any more of these they take way too long to make, and nobody would pay what I would have to charge for one. Carroll may want to sell his. Last time I talked to him he said he didnt think it would fit in his omni.

GLHSHELBY
12-20-2010, 11:29 PM
awesome job on this

rx2mazda
12-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks Guys! I didnt get the car running yet so I dont know how well the battery works. No baffles in the valve covers. I dont think Ill be making any more of these they take way too long to make, and nobody would pay what I would have to charge for one. Carroll may want to sell his. Last time I talked to him he said he didnt think it would fit in his omni.

Great work Lengel, way to take an idea and perfect it! Mine looks like sh!t now thanks. :p I got it to fit in my Omni though. :D
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20101116_135136.jpg

As far as the Battery, its been great for me! DD it in my Spirit for about a year and now its in the Omni. Ive had it almost 2 probably.

iTurbo
12-21-2010, 12:34 AM
Awesome job! I hope you decide to make more because you know how I like to buy in quantity.

BIG PSI
12-21-2010, 01:27 AM
Lengel,

You need to start your own shop !!!!

Your craftsmanship is awesome.

lengel
01-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Great work Lengel, way to take an idea and perfect it! Mine looks like sh!t now thanks. :p I got it to fit in my Omni though. :D
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20101116_135136.jpg

As far as the Battery, its been great for me! DD it in my Spirit for about a year and now its in the Omni. Ive had it almost 2 probably.

Thanks Carroll! I think the GLH R/T needs the boost turned up a little. then you could run two vent lines to the catch can! LOL

Awesome job! I hope you decide to make more because you know how I like to buy in quantity.

OH I know, Mr. (4) TIII engines! LOL

Lengel,

You need to start your own shop !!!!

Your craftsmanship is awesome.

Thanks! Im working on that.

Mopar318
01-05-2011, 08:20 PM
What kind of mill do you have?

rx2mazda
01-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks Carroll! I think the GLH R/T needs the boost turned up a little. then you could run two vent lines to the catch can! LOL

The GLH-R/T needs a new clutch! Bummer. BTW, they are both hooked up! :D

lengel
01-07-2011, 08:36 PM
What kind of mill do you have?

At work we have (3) Tree machining centers (2) cincinnati machining centers (1) okuma high speed machining center (1) okuma lathe

raccoon
01-07-2011, 10:21 PM
nice, ill be coping. :thumb:

do you still use the battery tray i cant see in the pic, I guess you wouldnt need it at all.

zshadow
04-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Thats the neatest catch can setup i've seen EVAR!
it looks so nice and tidy in that engine bay :thumb:

Directconnection
04-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Yes, it surely gives me ideas.... and even though I'm a machinist, I would be content with Carroll's. So, if I do make mine, it'll be not as purdy as I have too many irons in the oven with this car to spend a lot for hours duplicating your's ;-)

BTW: I'll have to look at the pix again, but the box or cans you guys have been using has no internal baffles?

rx2mazda
04-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Yes, it surely gives me ideas.... and even though I'm a machinist, I would be content with Carroll's. So, if I do make mine, it'll be not as purdy as I have too many irons in the oven with this car to spend a lot for hours duplicating your's ;-)

BTW: I'll have to look at the pix again, but the box or cans you guys have been using has no internal baffles?

mine does.

lengel
05-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys

My cans dont have any baffles but the 5 small holes around the top kinda act like a baffle. Havent had a problem yet!

Adam

rx2mazda
05-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Car hasn't run yet either. :p

lengel
05-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Car hasn't run yet either. :p

LOL! Funny Guy! I had 1000 unbalanced miles on it.:(

Vader85
06-10-2011, 12:06 AM
Very compact and innovative.....

Moparbaby
10-18-2011, 06:41 PM
noob question:
if you vent the VC's, you don't need a vent from the crankcase?

Thanks

turbovanmanČ
10-18-2011, 06:56 PM
noob question:

Thanks

Correct.

rx2mazda
10-18-2011, 08:07 PM
noob question:

Thanks

incorrect.

there is still a vent tube that comes off the block on the TIII that needs to vent also. I have added a port on my catch can for it...I'm also gonna run a tube from the oilpan.

Moparbaby
10-19-2011, 11:05 AM
incorrect.

there is still a vent tube that comes off the block on the TIII that needs to vent also. I have added a port on my catch can for it...I'm also gonna run a tube from the oilpan.

so with your catch can, you are running two lines for vc's, one for crankcase, and one drainage line back to the pan?

Directconnection
10-19-2011, 12:41 PM
incorrect.

I was thinking of running that one from the block to the catch can, and just one from the VC. That way, do you really think *two* at the VC is needed?

Pat
10-19-2011, 01:02 PM
I was thinking of running that one from the block to the catch can, and just one from the VC. That way, do you really think *two* at the VC is needed?

I would think if you wanted one from the valve cover area, you'd want to tie the two valve covers together to equalize pressure.

Directconnection
10-19-2011, 03:04 PM
I would think if you wanted one from the valve cover area, you'd want to tie the two valve covers together to equalize pressure.

Yeah, true.

J&H Ryan
10-19-2011, 10:08 PM
If you ever decide to put these into production I'm in for a set. Was hoping it was a full size battery tray involved but the catch cans are good even alone.

lengel
10-20-2011, 12:36 PM
If you ever decide to put these into production I'm in for a set. Was hoping it was a full size battery tray involved but the catch cans are good even alone.

Yeah I will let you know if I do. Im in the middle of changing my catchcan setup. Im getting rid of the little battery, so the new setup will only be the catchcans no battery tray. It will be bolted to the water box. I will get some pics up when im done.

Scamp_GT
10-20-2011, 01:38 PM
I saw an article, in Car craft mag, that shows you how to make these. I would like to know if you had prior experience in making those or is there another source you used.
:hail: awesome job by the way

turbovanmanČ
10-20-2011, 05:21 PM
I saw an article, in Car craft mag, that shows you how to make these. I would like to know if you had prior experience in making those or is there another source you used.

He's a pretty sharp cookie, :nod:

lengel
10-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks! No I didnt have any prior experience making them this was my first set, but I do have a little experience programing CNCs. This was not my idea, Carroll and Brian came up with the idea of putting them there, I just made mine alittle different. My new setup is my own design. I will post some pics when I get it done.I should have it done this weekend

jl93sundance
10-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Quick question. Wouldnt you need the catch cans hooked up to a vacuum source in boost, such as the intake for the turbo, to prevent positive crank case pressure buildup?

rx2mazda
10-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Quick question. Wouldnt you need the catch cans hooked up to a vacuum source in boost, such as the intake for the turbo, to prevent positive crank case pressure buildup?

See the two big K&N air filters on top? That's where the air goes out.

Scamp_GT
10-22-2011, 11:51 PM
This was what I was talking about I figured some people on here would like to know how too..:thumb:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1104_how_to_build_a_catch_can/index.html

lengel
10-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Here are a few pics of my new setup. I dont know why they got rotated 90deg.
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo237/bethany017/DSCF0538.jpg
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo237/bethany017/DSCF0537.jpg

Force Fed Mopar
10-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Could you like, rotate those pics? :D Btw since it wasn't answered earlier, where does the hole in the bottom go to? You drain back to the pan or just have a long hose that you drain into a pan periodically?

zin
10-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Looks great!

I would make the humble suggestion that the hoses be replaced with stainless or aluminum hard lines. That won't would make it perfect in my eyes!

Mike

rx2mazda
10-24-2011, 09:13 AM
i see you have a Ford product under your hood too.

jl93sundance
10-24-2011, 09:40 AM
See the two big K&N air filters on top? That's where the air goes out.

I see that lol, but wouldnt it be better to put in vacuum under boost (from the turbo intake) intstead?

tryingbe
10-24-2011, 10:06 AM
There is no vacuum from the turbo intake.

rx2mazda
10-24-2011, 05:19 PM
I see that lol, but wouldnt it be better to put in vacuum under boost (from the turbo intake) intstead?

^^^This! Lol

Force Fed Mopar
10-24-2011, 06:47 PM

Really?

jl93sundance
10-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Really?

Im thinking the same thing. You're telling me at 20psi there is no vacuum being created through the inlet of the turbo?, or at a minimal a siphoning effect?

rx2mazda
10-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Really?

Im thinking the same thing. You're telling me at 20psi there is no vacuum being created through the inlet of the turbo?, or at a minimal a siphoning effect?

What kind of vacuum are you talking about?

Typically when we talk about vacuum, as related to automobiles, we are talking about engine vacuum. In that case, there is no "vacuum" at the turbo inlet. How much vacuum is at turbo inlet at 6000rpms? I can't say...maybe someone else know.

If you want to pull vacuum through your catch can set-up, go ahead-it won't hurt anything. I'm pretty sure I was one of the first street TIII to vent both VC's and the only reason I did was because I a pushed out a cam seal at the track and didn't want to do it again(PITA to replace front cam seal). It's also well known that the stock TIII PCV set-up stinks. Now there are quite a few of us....Jackson, Lengel, Rob, etc. I first saw it done on SMP's Charger. Brian Slowe vents his the same way with no vacuum. Pat doesn't vent his at all and he runs 10's so....

Pat
10-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Pat doesn't vent his at all and he runs 10's so....

But he should, and he knows it.

Venting the valve covers has been on the list for a long time.

Force Fed Mopar
10-25-2011, 09:44 PM

Typically when we talk about vacuum, as related to automobiles, we are talking about engine vacuum. In that case, there is no "vacuum" at the turbo inlet. How much vacuum is at turbo inlet at 6000rpms? I can't say...maybe someone else know.

If you want to pull vacuum through your catch can set-up, go ahead-it won't hurt anything. I'm pretty sure I was one of the first street TIII to vent both VC's and the only reason I did was because I a pushed out a cam seal at the track and didn't want to do it again(PITA to replace front cam seal). It's also well known that the stock TIII PCV set-up stinks. Now there are quite a few of us....Jackson, Lengel, Rob, etc. I first saw it done on SMP's Charger. Brian Slowe vents his the same way with no vacuum. Pat doesn't vent his at all and he runs 10's so....

We're talking about the suction in the air intake pipe under boost. It's why the T1/2/4 valve cover have a hose running from the PCV elbow to the airbox. When you are under boost the PCV valve is closed. So they used the suction of the air being sucked in by the turbo to help pull at least some vacuum in the crankcase. Otherwise you get seal leaks or blowouts, dipstick pops up etc.

Shadow
11-22-2011, 12:02 PM
We're talking about the suction in the air intake pipe under boost. It's why the T1/2/4 valve cover have a hose running from the PCV elbow to the airbox. When you are under boost the PCV valve is closed. So they used the suction of the air being sucked in by the turbo to help pull at least some vacuum in the crankcase. Otherwise you get seal leaks or blowouts, dipstick pops up etc.

If your venting is efficient enough you No longer need vacume pulling it ;) + why would you want to risk oil running through your turbo/ IC/ intake set-up?

turbovanmanČ
11-22-2011, 04:02 PM

There is a vacuum in the inlet, if there wasn't, you'd have no boost.

As for vacuum being engine vacuum, ANYTHING in a vacuum, is a, :drum:, vacuum.

I bet at 6K, your creating a huge vacuum, hence why carb's work.

zin
11-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Technically what we are referring to is an area of low pressure/partial vacuum. And you're right, a Holley carb (4bbl) is designed to have a 1.5" depression across the venturi, which is why it is able to do work/pull fuel through it. Incedentally, the 2bbl carbs use a 5" depression, which is why a pair of 500cfm 2bbl carbs won't come close to a 1000cfm 4bbl...

It would be interesting to know what the depression is in the inlet tube/air filter on the big turbos... Might be surpirsing.

Mike

jl93sundance
11-22-2011, 05:16 PM
If your venting is efficient enough you No longer need vacume pulling it ;) + why would you want to risk oil running through your turbo/ IC/ intake set-up?

You add a catch can in between and you don't have that problem, with the benefit of any vacuum that is being pulled through the intake of the turbo.

Force Fed Mopar
11-22-2011, 07:01 PM

You add a catch can in between and you don't have that problem, with the benefit of any vacuum that is being pulled through the intake of the turbo.

I agree if your venting is sufficient. Which it really isn't on these engines. Although if the rings seal good you won't need as much venting and there'll be less oil vapor in the air being pulled out ;) If it was important enough to be done on stock cars...

AZTurbo
11-22-2011, 07:43 PM
What ever happened to using a one-way valve into the down-pipe (AIR valve) to suck crank vapors? I know I'm still planning on doing it that way to avoid the engine having to breathe oil vapors. Still going to use the catch-can to avoid a smoking exhaust, but the catch should be put under vac when under load.