PDA

View Full Version : Detailing installed engine

Twizter68
08-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Looking for tips on detailing the engine bay with the engine installed. I'm planning on getting "new" brackets from U-Pullit and having them blasted and powdercoated, as well as a "new" valve cover, simply to reduce downtime, and I need new mounts anyway so....but what's the best way to "shine" up the engine et al, without pulling it all the way out? I only have about 150K on it, and still pull 20 in/HG at idle...and I'm known for getting every last stinkin' mile out of a motor!:D Car is a 90 VNT Daytona.

ljbprrfmof
08-24-2010, 09:15 PM
How nasty is the engine bay?

Twizter68
08-25-2010, 04:43 AM
Not too grody, mostly just grime, and a few spots of peeling and rust on brackets.

prepared
08-25-2010, 05:10 AM
Do dealers still use a steam cleaner? I've seen some terribly grimy engines come out looking really nice after being steamed.

ljbprrfmof
08-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Yes, some dealers still have the steam cleaners, we have always used pressure washers after getting the engine hot and spraying the compartment with engine degreaser.

Over the last few years, our degreaser has been switched to the citrus based products. They do less damage to the paint on the out side of the compartment.

What we do is warm up the engine, spray it from a spray bottle or pressure sprayer and let it sit for a while, then take a parts cleaner brush and work the cleaner into the grease, and then rinse with a garden hose. You can go back over spots that you missed.

You may have a better degreaser than what we are allowed to use. I believe the Kar Kraft degreaser is the same as in the 70's, or is it their white wall cleaner. Both were pretty caustic.

As far as painting, just tape off as much as you are able. The big trick is going to be getting the spray bomb into a good position to spray what needs to be recoated.

Finish off with spraying the rubber and plastic parts with Meguires Vinyl & Rubber cleaner/dressing. I just found this stuff in the spring and love it. It dresses without the oily look that some dressings leave.

92spiritrt
08-25-2010, 10:03 AM
i had some pretty good results with castrol super clean(non diluted). my car was filthy due to a huge oil leak at the ishaft which then turned half of my engine compartment black. if its on the head, or other bare pieces a scotchbrite pad would help once you get any large amounts of grime off. i then powder coated just about every piece on my motor so now i just spray a little bit of detail spray on the parts and wipe with a towel. i can powder coat your parts if you need it done, just let me know.

prepared
08-25-2010, 10:25 AM
I have had TERRIBLE experiences with Super Clean on bare aluminum. Read the label!!

92spiritrt
08-25-2010, 10:57 AM
I have had TERRIBLE experiences with Super Clean on bare aluminum. Read the label!!

sorry, i didn't word that properly, i meant for the rest of the engine compartment. as in the fender wells, block and what not. it won't hurt the head and trans if you get some on it as long as you don't let it set there for a long time.

92spiritrt
08-25-2010, 11:21 AM
also, one other thing i've done on aluminum if it is really dirty and has a lot of grime built up on it was to use a wire wheel like the one pictured on a cordless drill, just use it lightly. it will break the dirt up alot faster and easier than just using cleaners on it. it will bring the aluminum up to a decent shine, not polished by any means but still looks pretty good.

http://shop.ccabrasives.com/ekmps/shops/capitalcityab/images/rotory-wire-wheel-cup-brush-on-6mm-spindle-724-p.jpg

Twizter68
08-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks for all the input! What I will probably do is remove all hoses (need to replace lower rad hose anyway!) and the airbox, then soak some degreaser on the worst areas; I've flushed it out several times with Purple Stuff and gotten a lot of gunk out of the bay. Here's my only issue:

I'm in the barracks on base. We have a car wash across from us, and I can use the pressure wand there to rinse it out (there's a water/oil separator in the drain system), but it will be at least a day-long deal to do, then put everything back on enough to get it back to the parking lot behind the hootch. I figure on using a long weekend to get it all done. Thanks for the PCoat offer, but I've got one of my CPO's who does it on the side hooking me up there! (He loves me, I'm his favorite First Class...since I've been around longer than he has, and act like it's still 1992 at times!)

prepared
08-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Do they have a repair shop with bays you rent there? When I was serving, my base did. They had a steam cleaner there that could be used!!

Twizter68
08-26-2010, 05:31 AM
Yes they do, but no steam cleaner.

RoadWarrior222
08-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Mine's so bad I'm thinking of using straight draino on it. (Exposure time is important for the aluminum, obviously, I'll try only a few mins for a start, though mine probably has 1/16" of oxide on it by now.)

I've got a little household steam cleaner, and also a modest pressure washer on hand.

ljbprrfmof
08-26-2010, 08:18 PM
The household stuff should work. I would like to know how the steam cleaner works on things like door jambs and the tough places to get to with a rag or detail brush. I have been considering one for the shop. I know Sonic advertises the use of a steam cleaner on those parts in their detailing menu.