PDA

View Full Version : Smokin clutch..couple months old...

89ShelbyGuy
06-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Allright. Last night i made some runs with another shelby in my area, keep in mind i am NOT ryding the clutch...After basicly ONE run with him, i went back to my house, me and my buddy that were in the car were getting this weird smell coming from the engine....ok...thought maybe the exhaust had some crap on it..well, i take a ryde to get some food, after coming to a stop, i am smoking preatty bad and the fumes are horrible...my clutch pedal feels alittle soft...Well, i let the car sit at the place and came back to get it...and i drive home, it didn't smoke at all..WTF?!?
Heres my qeustion, would you smoke up a clutch if the power was too much?

Heres my stats of the car...and also i have a T2 clutch disc with a T3 pressure plate. Basicly 3 months old.

2.5 .030 over with mahle pistons
s60 turbo set at 12
2.5 exhaust
2 core intercooler set up
PT lifters

Now, heres a tad bit that might ---- it out, i broke the selector cable for the tranny and have to drive it home in 4th gear, and when i finally got the car home and in the garage i had smoked out the engine bay preatty bad...same smell...

Whats crazy is i drove the car the day after, shifted beutyful..no smoke at all..WTF!

LMK what u all think.

Tom

Whorse
06-19-2006, 12:23 AM
Driving home in 4th that clutch would get mighty warm. Probably time for a new clutch if that's how it's acting, but give it a day or two. My clutch is gone and I still drive it 150km a day, so they last if you dont' beat on them.

BadAssPerformance
06-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Didja try to pull up on the clutch pedal to see if it needed a re-adjustment?

Also, the simple clutch test to see if it is good or not is to get it up to highway speed in 4th gear and left foot brake torque it and see if it slips.

If it slips, the disk could be worn from the 4th gear action or more likely the flywheel and/or plate are glazed.

89ShelbyGuy
06-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Allright..gonna have to try that..thanks for the tips guys...

Tom