PDA

View Full Version : something to remove clearcoat from wheels.

3Bar_Mopar
06-18-2006, 09:07 PM
I got some new wheels and have the clearcoat peeling from the polished aluminum....there are places where it looks like the clearcoat is worn off. I want to get rid of the clearcoat so I can polish the aluminum.
I need something I can get anywhere that will work.

Whorse
06-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Aircraft coating stripper. It's made to strip airliner coatings without damaging the aluminum. I get mine at the local auto parts store. Don't get the spray, get the tin, and ventilate the area. It works especially well with an SOS pad and a wet cloth wipe after.

WVRampage
06-25-2006, 02:04 PM
also make sure the tire is off and the valver stem is out or you will eventualy get leaks,I used the aircraft coating remover.Use a buffing wheel with some mothers mag wheel polish and you will have some mirrors on your car.

PupTruk
06-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Citri-Strip, in the paint department, from Wal-mart is as good as it gets. It comes in a spray can, stays wet for 8-12 hrs. It cut the powder coat on my 16" pumpers with the aid of a scraper. If it works on PC, CC should not be a problem.

Wes85L
06-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Be careful using the Aircraft stripper. If you get it on your skin or worse face it will burn like nothing else. Even with nitrile gloves on I had to change them a few times because they would break down and tear from the chemical. The clearcoat comes off pretty easy. It will usually bubble and shrivel up. You can use a rag to wipe it off or spray with a hi-pressure hose. Good Luck!