PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Partial Overhaul

Spraynlog
06-18-2006, 06:01 PM
I blew a head gasket at the drags on 6/2/06. I got the car home on a
trailer since it wouldn't stay running.

There is coolant in the oil, in #1 & #2 cylinders, and in the oil filter.
After removing the head, #4 cylinder had melted a portion of the piston' and #2 had just a small amount of melting on the rear edge.

So, I dropped the pan and after removing some melted aluminum at the top of the cylinder (used some emery cloth) I removed #4 piston/rod assembly.

FWD website has good used 2.2 pistons for $20, along with HG, head bolts etc.

What should I do about cleaning the oil passages of coolant/oil mix? Just put it together and run it and then change the oil after the first 1/2 hour of running? Should I replace the #2 piston that is slightly melted, it just has a small bit of the piston edge showing melting. Any advice is helpful, if you have had coolant in your oil before.

85_600
06-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Good luck on this. Sounds like there are a few of us here with "partial" or "minor" overhauls..me included...

Oh, don't buy out FWD-P of all the used pistons. I need at least one and one set of rings too...I'm calling dibs 1st:D

butchsuppe
06-19-2006, 01:04 AM
Whats with all these patch jobs ? do you guys LIKE doing it more than once. Easier getting another motor they made millions of them. Once you got a spare you can take you time and build a new motor RIGHT with are the goodies.

Whorse
06-19-2006, 01:27 AM
I'd be in the same boat. I'm poor, and there are very very few TII motors around here. I would like to just get my van running as cheaply as I can, drive it for 8 months, and build a proper 2.5 while it's on the road. Not sure how realistic that is though.

turbovanmanČ
06-19-2006, 01:39 AM
I would replace #2 piston as well. You will have to rering so all the pistons will have to come out. If the wall is scuffed, you will need to hone the bores. Check the bearings, if there good, resuse them. If theres no crap in the oil pan, you will be fine. I melted 2 pistons badly, replace them in the van. I would get it running, go break it in then change the oil and filter.

Spraynlog
06-19-2006, 11:36 AM
I would replace #2 piston as well. You will have to rering so all the pistons will have to come out. If the wall is scuffed, you will need to hone the bores. Check the bearings, if there good, resuse them. If theres no crap in the oil pan, you will be fine. I melted 2 pistons badly, replace them in the van. I would get it running, go break it in then change the oil and filter.

Thank you for the encouraging reply Simon. You are a well respected and valued source of info for our cars.

When you say to check the bearings, do you mean to plastigauge them?
Or just look for scratches/embedded material?

As far as why do it cheaply....because it is a 20 year old car that has been rear ended, has fading paint, and probably is not worth $500 when it was running! I have had a LOT of fun with it at the drags for the last 5 to 6 years, eventually getting some high 14 second passes out of it. Mainly it has been a daily driver that gets twice the milage of my 4X4 Ramcharger....that is why I'd like to fix it.
:)

turbovanmanČ
06-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Thank you for the encouraging reply Simon. You are a well respected and valued source of info for our cars.

When you say to check the bearings, do you mean to plastigauge them?
Or just look for scratches/embedded material?

Basically look at them, if the bearings are still silver with no copper colour showing, they should be ok. Personally, I bet the bearing crush is gone and for the price of them, probably $30, I would replace them, and the oil pump too, :thumb:

Spraynlog
06-20-2006, 07:27 PM
My local machine shop seemed to balk at the idea of pressing used pistons onto my rods. They seemed to think they would break. Is there any merit to this? Or are they just wanting to sell me new pistons?
(probably not a bad idea)

turbovanmanČ
06-20-2006, 07:29 PM
My local machine shop seemed to balk at the idea of pressing used pistons onto my rods. They seemed to think they would break. Is there any merit to this? Or are they just wanting to sell me new pistons?
(probably not a bad idea)

Its quite possible but I haven't heard of it. The piston floats on the pin so there not pressing anything into the piston, the rod is the press fit and if heated properly, the pin will slide right in.