PDA

View Full Version : Need new K frame

89turbomini
06-18-2006, 01:41 PM
I am in the middle of putting new suspension on my 88 daytona and noticed that my k frame was cracked and twisted. Which is why the car vibrated so badly. I know the j/y's around here have a bunch of k cars but i havent seen to many daytonas. My questions is what k frames will cross over and fit into my daytona. Thanks

Dietro
06-18-2006, 01:57 PM
The K-frame from any K-based car will work.

The '89 and new K-frames are significantly heavier duty piece. The '89 and '90 used a stamped steel control arm with dual pivots, and the '91-up piece is similar, but uses cast control arms.

turbovanmanČ
06-18-2006, 03:50 PM
If you use the 89-90 K-member, get the control arms as well and its a nice upgrade.

89turbomini
06-21-2006, 09:57 PM
I went to the local auto recycle yard and ask if they had any k-frames for my daytona. The owner, whom i know very well, said he had one from a non-turbo 5 speed daytona. His computer said there is a difference between the turbo and non-turbo but it didnt say what it was. He said it could possibly be that it was stamped with thicker gauge metal or its just stronger in someway.
Is this a true statement or is there no difference at all. Im thinking about taking my old one down there and comparing the two and see if there is a difference.

csteffee
06-22-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm not absoultely sure, but I think the auto K section is missing the mount for the tranny bobble strut. I had the same situation on my 86 GTS

89turbomini
06-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Yes i knew that the auto k-frame would be missing the bracket for the bobble strut. Thats no big deal if i get one from and auto i can jus weld one on. The one i am thinking about gettin is from a non-turbo 5 speed, and was told it may not be strong enough for the performance suspension the turbo daytona has. My question was is there a difference between turbo and non-turbo k-frame

capev86
06-27-2006, 09:52 AM
its the same darn piece....

turbovanmanČ
06-27-2006, 12:53 PM
its the same darn piece....

+infinity.

What you can do it clean off the K-member, weld all the seems and joins, also weld up the tabs where the rack bolts up. Before I welded mine, if you dropped it, it went boing, after welding, it went thud.

iTurbo
06-27-2006, 01:02 PM
I have a '91 K-frame from a Sundance America in my Shelby Lancer. It's just like the K-frame in my '91 Spirit R/T, except the R/T's has some kind of extra reinforcement near the bobble strut mount. I'll have to get a picture of it; hard to explain.

inmyshadow
06-27-2006, 01:38 PM
My 91 Shadow as the same damn thing. Its to the right of the mount and is right behind the diff housing. Makes installing the transmission so much hard.

Of course, I was surprised it was there. My 92 Daytona IROC had nothing in the way of the diff housing.

I have a '91 K-frame from a Sundance America in my Shelby Lancer. It's just like the K-frame in my '91 Spirit R/T, except the R/T's has some kind of extra reinforcement near the bobble strut mount. I'll have to get a picture of it; hard to explain.

turbocoupe
06-29-2006, 01:28 AM
well i know that your all the way in Salina, KS but i know a junk yard in CT that haves tons of k-frams for 88 daytona the reason i know in because i have been back their myself and man -o- man are their k-cars period

Jark yard name
Pandolf- (look it up on google)

need info contact me by PM