PDA

View Full Version : Need new L-body fuel tank - where did you buy yours?

Johnny
08-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Have a 1986 GLHS on the rack that needs a new fuel tank...rust from sitting for 10 years. Needs the fuel pump/sender arm also.
Saw them at gastanks.com. and some on ebay.
You guys have a reliable place to buy them??

2.216VTurbo
08-16-2010, 09:57 PM
I bought one at Manny Moe and Jacks place and it showed up good quality and made in Canada:eyebrows: No sender/fuel door though, I got that outta the Jyard

bakes
08-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Look to see it a neon tank will fit they look close and it they do fit you will have a plastic tank.

Johnny
08-17-2010, 12:03 AM
if they do fit you will have a plastic tank
That would be cool!!

86seeS
08-17-2010, 12:56 AM
orielly auto around 100.00

supercrackerbox
08-17-2010, 01:31 AM
I just boiled the one in my Charger out with muratic acid and resealed it. Hanger was salvageable after some careful cleaning. Details in my work log.

4 l-bodies
08-17-2010, 01:34 AM
Johnny,
If this is going on a L-body that will see any autocross action, be very leery of aftermarket fuel tanks (at least for L bodies). I have yet to see one with baffling anywhere near as good as the factory turbo tank.
Most ones I see look like they have a oil drain pan tacked into the bottom of the tank. Has a couple small pee holes to help fill the "oil pan" as well as the return line. Looks like a really lame attempt at a baffle.
Or you could just run with close to a full tank of fuel.
Todd

Johnny
08-17-2010, 02:54 AM
Good to know, thanks!!

rich tideswell
08-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Spectra Premium Industries # CR3B for te tank, and straps # ST37

Johnny
08-17-2010, 11:47 AM
I have yet to see one with baffling anywhere near as good as the factory turbo tank.
Question now is, has anyone bought an aftermarket tank with good baffling like the factory tank?

rbryant
08-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Johnny,
If this is going on a L-body that will see any autocross action, be very leery of aftermarket fuel tanks (at least for L bodies). I have yet to see one with baffling anywhere near as good as the factory turbo tank.
Most ones I see look like they have a oil drain pan tacked into the bottom of the tank. Has a couple small pee holes to help fill the "oil pan" as well as the return line. Looks like a really lame attempt at a baffle.
Or you could just run with close to a full tank of fuel.
Todd

It seems like it would work pretty well. As long as the tank isn't near empty the gas will be held in the bowl. If the tank is nearly empty both types of baffling will fail.

Plus if the tank is that empty there won't be enough gas to cool the pump anyway...

-Rich

86seeS
08-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Spectra Premium Industries # CR3B for te tank, and straps # ST37

thats what oreillys carries same part numbers also i got one in my GLHS works great ive had no problems

4 l-bodies
08-19-2010, 12:26 PM
It seems like it would work pretty well. As long as the tank isn't near empty the gas will be held in the bowl. If the tank is nearly empty both types of baffling will fail.

Plus if the tank is that empty there won't be enough gas to cool the pump anyway...

-Rich
The key words are autocrossing and how much fuel is in the tank. In my experience, the aftermarket fuel tanks "oil drain pan" is to large and shallow to be effective if aggressively driving the car. It's fine for normal driving, but doesn't work if taxed hard. Too bad there isn't a easy way to modify aftermarket fuel tanks. Like put a lid on the drain pan covering most of the opening.

It's like oil pans. Stock without any baffling works fine until you start driving hard, but they don't make the grade while autocrossing.

You can't afford to run the motor out of fuel or oil. You can easily starve the motor of fuel and oil just running a short autocross course.
Todd

fishcleaner
08-19-2010, 01:25 PM
I got mine from Quantas
http://www.quantaproducts.com/departments.asp?dept=273
it has a pan/baffle in the bottom, they also carry straps and gromets

Johnny
08-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Spectra Premium Industries # CR3B

I got one for about $95 shipped from RockAuto!
Also bought a new fuel pump/sender assembly. The one in this take was rusted really bad.

Johnny
PolyBushings.com

Juggy
08-19-2010, 09:46 PM
EBAY!

i paid $29 for my tank, plus $25ish to ship it to MI......cant beat that deal...pretty sure prices r up on them last time i checked tho

85lebaront2
08-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Call Matt at SPI distribution 1-800-234-5665 and see if he has the Spectra Premium tank in stock. If he does, he can look at it and maybe even get you a picture.

Juggy
08-20-2010, 11:32 AM
spectra is pretty much the only company making new tanks for the L body that I know of

made in canada FTW!!! lol......

contraption22
08-20-2010, 11:48 AM
I got one for about $95 shipped from RockAuto!
Also bought a new fuel pump/sender assembly. The one in this take was rusted really bad.

Johnny
PolyBushings.com

Johnny, can you post the part numbers you ordered? I cannot seem to find a fuel pump/hanger/sender assembly for a turbo L-body. Only TBI from Airtex.

Johnny
08-20-2010, 11:57 AM
I got the TBI from Airtex one and am planning on changing the pump out. The arms are the same.

86seeS
08-20-2010, 11:55 PM
spectra is pretty much the only company making new tanks for the L body that I know of

made in canada FTW!!! lol......

there usa distrabution center is 10min from my house i just went a picked mine up $85.00 PN is CR3B direct fit good baffel

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i215/hud91686/Mobile%20Uploads/mms_picture-190.jpg

TurboDan
08-21-2010, 01:18 PM
there usa distrabution center is 10min from my house i just went a picked mine up $85.00 PN is CR3B direct fit good baffel

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i215/hud91686/Mobile%20Uploads/mms_picture-190.jpg

You might want to put some gas in it before you put it in the car to make sure the fuel pump pan fills up. I recently bought a CR2G for my Daytona and the pan was welded to the bottom of the tank so it would not fill up! This made it run out of gas at 1/2 tank.

-Dan-

86seeS
08-21-2010, 08:21 PM
thanks for the tip ill try it out before hand

85lebaront2
08-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Unless the L body is totally different from the K, G, J etc., the pump well is filled by a jet syphon (similar to a well pump) operated by the return line. There is an 8mm line from the return fitting to a nipple on the pump well. The original pump wells I have seen are plastic and crimped to the tank bottom. Maybe the welded in one elimantes the crevass where water could sit and rust through.

Johnny
08-25-2010, 10:10 PM
I took photos of the inside of each tank. I think both designs work. Have to, the new ones style is all we can get.

Johnny
08-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Also took photos of the new fuel pump arm assemble that is sold as a 1990 one. It is the same as the 86 except the extra line, not sure what that was for. I'll change to a better pump and it will work. Sure looks better than the old one.

bakes
08-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Also took photos of the new fuel pump arm assemble that is sold as a 1990 one. It is the same as the 86 except the extra line, not sure what that was for. I'll change to a better pump and it will work. Sure looks better than the old one.

Drain tube !!!!!!!

rbryant
08-26-2010, 01:38 AM

Do you have an ohm meter handy? I am interested in the ohm readings at empty and full for doing a custom gauge. I keep getting conflicting data.

It is something that is hard to do when your tank isn't empty.

-Rich

86seeS
08-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Both of my chargers baffels were seperated from the tank dont know why there were no dents or any thing......anyone else seen this (original tanks)

Johnny
08-27-2010, 03:54 AM
Do you have an ohm meter handy?

Nope, sorry.

Johnny
08-27-2010, 03:55 AM
Both of my chargers baffels were seperated from the tank dont know why there were no dents or any thing......anyone else seen this (original tanks)

My original GLHS tank had that issue. Replaced the tank because every time I took a hard corner it would mess up my pump assembly.