PDA

View Full Version : Daytona Ram 4x4 quad cab

glhs875
08-16-2010, 10:41 AM
I tied up with a Dakota R/T with my Ram Daytona. I was heading home from work the other night, minding my own business, when this black Dakota R/T pulls along beside me, downshifts and then starts rapping on the throttle making his truck jump! I thought I really don't want a ticket for racing, and I'll most likely get dusted anyway, but what the heck, I matted the gas pedal!!! We started from around 55 to 60mph. I pulled on him the whole way to 90+ mph when he decided to give up!! My big 'ole truck runs better than I thought!! It's gotta weigh close to 5K. It's an '05 Ram 4x4 quad cab w/Daytona package. I hated to spank a Mopar, but he started it!!!:lol:

On a side note, anyone ever use a Diablo Sport Predator tuner on one of these trucks? If so, notice a worthwhile improvement in performance?

89ShelbyGuy
08-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Nice.....

I got a 08 Ram laramie. Its funny cause i never get races in my shelby...only my truck lol...i took out a modded acura intregra....it was quite funny...lol....i also wiped the smerk off a guy in a mitu galant...with a fart cannon..lol...

Right now my ram is all stock....i'd like to get a exhaust (only have a cut out right now) and an intake and then the chip.

Get the tuner for it...you'll love the extra power it gives you. EVERYONE that i talked to that has one says it worth the 300 bucks!

Tom

glhs875
08-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Nice.....

I got a 08 Ram laramie. Its funny cause i never get races in my shelby...only my truck lol...i took out a modded acura intregra....it was quite funny...lol....i also wiped the smerk off a guy in a mitu galant...with a fart cannon..lol...

Right now my ram is all stock....i'd like to get a exhaust (only have a cut out right now) and an intake and then the chip.

Get the tuner for it...you'll love the extra power it gives you. EVERYONE that i talked to that has one says it worth the 300 bucks!

Tom

That's cool spanking vehicles like that with a big pickup! I was surprised at how these trucks run myself. I'm thinking of getting the tuner, maybe a high flow cat with better flowing 2 into 1 exhaust adaptor. It already has a Borla cat back exhaust system(sounds great). And maybe replace the manual radiator clutch fan with an electric fan. I would also like to lower the suspension. Can the drop spindles be used with a 4x4?

Turbo3Iroc
08-16-2010, 12:35 PM
You downshifted into that tall 2nd gear and the truck really takes off. In my truck it will wrap out to about 85 so you were right in the power band for that gear. Love the top end of the Hemi.

89ShelbyGuy
08-16-2010, 12:36 PM
That's cool spanking vehicles like that with a big pickup! I was surprised at how these trucks run myself. I'm thinking of getting the tuner, maybe a high flow cat with better flowing 2 into 1 exhaust adaptor. It already has a Borla cat back exhaust system(sounds great). And maybe replace the manual radiator clutch fan with an electric fan. I would also like to lower the suspension. Can the drop spindles be used with a 4x4?

If i remember right, theres a kit to drop 2wd rams and another kit to drop the 4wd.....

Now if your talking about getting rid of that extra inch or so that mopar put in the back end to level it with the front, i beleive that one fits both models. I myself have the 4wd also....

If i didn't have my shelby, i'd probably think about putting a supercharger kit or a turbo charger kit on my hemi...lol

glhs875
08-16-2010, 01:31 PM
You downshifted into that tall 2nd gear and the truck really takes off. In my truck it will wrap out to about 85 so you were right in the power band for that gear. Love the top end of the Hemi.

That pretty much says it! A Daytona has the 3.91 or 2 can't remember, final drive. The truck launches dang hard!!!

glhs875
08-16-2010, 01:33 PM
If i remember right, theres a kit to drop 2wd rams and another kit to drop the 4wd.....

Now if your talking about getting rid of that extra inch or so that mopar put in the back end to level it with the front, i beleive that one fits both models. I myself have the 4wd also....

If i didn't have my shelby, i'd probably think about putting a supercharger kit or a turbo charger kit on my hemi...lol

Your correct on there being a kit for 4wd and 2wd. I'm talking of lowering several inches both front and rear!
A vortec supercharger or twin screw type would be sweet!!!

glhs875
08-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Here's a couple pictures of my beast!

Vigo
08-16-2010, 09:54 PM
I wonder what happened that a high 15 truck beat a high 14 truck.. interesting!

What exactly is the daytona package? All appearance stuff?

bris09
08-16-2010, 10:17 PM
A friend has an 04 Ram with the Hemi. He got a handheld (not Diablo) and he said it really woke the truck up. Well worth the money.

When I had my 99 GT a guy in town had a pretty well modded Dakota R/T. We just happened to meet on the Airport extension one day. He instigated it and I figured I'd lose but what the heck. We started out even and half a mile later he was 1.5 lengths behind me. I really thought the R/Ts were faster than that. I ran into him a few months later and he asked if I wanted to run him again. Turned out that after losing to a stock Mustang he went and added a blower. Never did get to run him a again. I traded the GT for a 98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited.

Vigo
08-16-2010, 11:22 PM
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited.

Just reading those words makes me want to use this emoticon: :eyebrows:

But seeing as how it has the same motor, tranny, and similar weight to the Dak R/T, did you also find the cherokee to be surprisingly slow compared to your gt?

glhs875
08-17-2010, 10:41 AM
I wonder what happened that a high 15 truck beat a high 14 truck.. interesting!

What exactly is the daytona package? All appearance stuff?

I know the Daytona package has a 3.92 final drive over the regular Ram's 3.55 final drive.

Maybe other differences. I need to do some research.

mcsvt
08-17-2010, 11:26 AM
I have the Diablo on my hemi Magnum and really love what it's done so far. I know it's not a truck, but I think they do well for the hemi in general.

Vigo
08-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Ive seen on some of the ram forums that a LOT of guys with hemi quad cabs are getting into the low 14s with tuners and bolt ons. They are impressive trucks in that way. The stock hemi QC 4x2 is the only kind ive driven hard, it is nice but not fast. I think the programmers do a LOT for them.

bris09
08-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Just reading those words makes me want to use this emoticon: :eyebrows:

But seeing as how it has the same motor, tranny, and similar weight to the Dak R/T, did you also find the cherokee to be surprisingly slow compared to your gt?

Based on the reviews the Cherokee was 0.7 sec. slower 0 to 60 than the GT. I just thought a 2wd Dakota with a 5.9 and some work would be quicker. The Jeep was fun because it p***** off alot of ricers.

Friend with the 04 Ram has the Super Chips tuner.

glhs875
08-17-2010, 03:29 PM
There is a cool video on youtube called Diablo Hemi Ram. I would like to post that video but haven't figured out how! Posting videos on this site is new to me. I tried a couple of ways but failed!

Vigo
08-17-2010, 07:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4mVRjACmT8

I just copied the url straight into the box without any tags or using any buttons and this is how it came out. Is this the video you meant?

glhs875
08-17-2010, 08:24 PM
That's the one!!! Thanks! For near stock, that truck is bad ---!!:hail:

This truck has 4.10 gears, long tube headers (no cats), some valve body mods, and of course the Diablo Predator tuning! Hauls the 2x4's pretty dang good!!

I tried a couple url's. What one did you use so maybe I can post a video on my own next time.

glhs875
08-17-2010, 08:49 PM
I know the Daytona package has a 3.92 final drive over the regular Ram's 3.55 final drive.

Maybe other differences. I need to do some research.

I forgot. They also come with Borla exhaust. Will still search for more differences if any.

Vigo
08-18-2010, 10:58 PM
__http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4mVRjACmT8__

Thats the url i used. I had to put some underscores around it so the forum wouldnt automatically add tags to display it, so ignore the underscores.

glhs875
08-18-2010, 11:05 PM
I tried that! Hmmm, maybe I typed it in wrong!?

Vigo
08-19-2010, 11:40 PM
well tying a URL is a real good way to turn it into a crapshoot. For URLs, only use 'copy' and then 'paste' from your right click menu.

Dusty_Duster
08-20-2010, 11:29 AM
I wish my Ram was a Hemi. I've got an older-generation 2001 Ram 4x4 with the 318 and 3.55 gears.

It'll get you there, but it won't get you there fast. :p

Vigo
08-20-2010, 02:02 PM
I drove an older 360 magnum ram that was all stock... EXCEPT for the 4.56 gears, and it was faster than a stock hemi. Maybe you should try that!

Dusty_Duster
08-20-2010, 02:12 PM
I drove an older 360 magnum ram that was all stock... EXCEPT for the 4.56 gears, and it was faster than a stock hemi. Maybe you should try that!

Well, I've got a 4x4, so I'd have to change both front and rear gears. Plus, the freaking hulk of a vehicle only gets 13-14 MPG as it is. 4.56 gears wouldn't exactly help in the mileage department. :lol:

I'm also seriously considering selling the poor truck, even though I love it to death. When I bought it, I had a 6-mile round-trip commute. It took me more than two weeks to go through a tank of gas. But now I have a 65-mile round-trip commute. Spending $70/week on gas is getting really old.

GLHSHELBY
08-22-2010, 08:38 PM
I tied up with a Dakota R/T with my Ram Daytona. I was heading home from work the other night, minding my own business, when this black Dakota R/T pulls along beside me, downshifts and then starts rapping on the throttle making his truck jump! I thought I really don't want a ticket for racing, and I'll most likely get dusted anyway, but what the heck, I matted the gas pedal!!! We started from around 55 to 60mph. I pulled on him the whole way to 90+ mph when he decided to give up!! My big 'ole truck runs better than I thought!! It's gotta weigh close to 5K. It's an '05 Ram 4x4 quad cab w/Daytona package. I hated to spank a Mopar, but he started it!!!:lol:

On a side note, anyone ever use a Diablo Sport Predator tuner on one of these trucks? If so, notice a worthwhile improvement in performance?
they key is you started at 55-60 right about were the 360 5.9 has no advantage and hardly any hp. The hemi will walk away from him at that speed. However start below that or a redlight and he will pull 6-10 cars on you badly.
I`ve raced 100`s of hemi trucks,and maybe 10 R/T`s in my 5.9 limited jeep.
The regular cab R/T is only a 10th faster in the 1/4 than the jeep,and the ex. cab a 10th slower than the jeep.When these magnums are stock they fall completely on their face when they go into 3rd gear.Partially because of the transmission,but also the torque range of these motors. Even a caravan can outrun the magnum after 60-65.I also must add the magnum most likely has a leaky plenum and has lost power,most of these magnums have

Vigo
08-22-2010, 10:50 PM
That sounds about right to me.. a stock hemi 4x4 quad cab ram doesnt come off the line NEAR as hard as a 360 dakota. Unless its in 4low.. :p

glhs875
08-23-2010, 09:47 AM
That sounds about right to me.. a stock hemi 4x4 quad cab ram doesnt come off the line NEAR as hard as a 360 dakota. Unless its in 4low.. :p

I hear u guys but..... A Ram Daytona has a 3.92 final drive over a regular Ram's 3.55 final. That helps some with power to the wheels all across the board. My Ram Daytona launches pretty darn hard!!! I would say at least in the low 2's for 60's on street rubber. It feels like it launches every bit as hard as my GLHS does, and I have pulled many 1.9- 60's with that car on street rubber! I have had some and been around alot of 360 powered vehicles. And from what I have gathered, stock vs stock, a HEMI is WAY MORE of an engine than a 360!

Vigo
08-23-2010, 11:07 AM
I agree the hemi is way more engine, but a 4x4 QI C ram is WAY more truck than a dakota, too. I think at lower speeds the dakota would have the advantage and at higher speeds the ram would have the advantage. You happened to race where you have the advantage, which nobody can argue with.. its good policy:eyebrows:

Plus i think the Ram with relatively simple bolt ons just keeps getting farther and farther away from the Dakota. The 360 magnum just doesnt have a chance in hell of making any decent power without at least upgrading the intake manifold and throttle body, and it doesnt seem like ALL that many r/t owners even do that, considering EVERY one of them needs it :p

Turbo3Iroc
08-23-2010, 12:07 PM
I hear u guys but..... A Ram Daytona has a 3.92 final drive over a regular Ram's 3.55 final. That helps some with power to the wheels all across the board. My Ram Daytona launches pretty darn hard!!! I would say at least in the low 2's for 60's on street rubber. It feels like it launches every bit as hard as my GLHS does, and I have pulled many 1.9- 60's with that car on street rubber! I have had some and been around alot of 360 powered vehicles. And from what I have gathered, stock vs stock, a HEMI is WAY MORE of an engine than a 360!

I'm not that familiar with the Daytona Rams but every one I have seen has the 20" wheels. That is the determining factor in the 3.92 gears. The 20's are 2.5" taller than the stock 245/45/17 tires and a lot more rolling mass so Dodge made them standard gears for the big wheels. With the extra height and gear it yields a 3.62 gear ratio when compared to the stock tires.

I agree the hemi is way more engine, but a 4x4 QI C ram is WAY more truck than a dakota, too. I think at lower speeds the dakota would have the advantage and at higher speeds the ram would have the advantage. You happened to race where you have the advantage, which nobody can argue with.. its good policy:eyebrows:

Plus i think the Ram with relatively simple bolt ons just keeps getting farther and farther away from the Dakota. The 360 magnum just doesnt have a chance in hell of making any decent power without at least upgrading the intake manifold and throttle body, and it doesnt seem like ALL that many r/t owners even do that, considering EVERY one of them needs it :p

I agree, the 360 has never been a top end screamer. It also has a lot more low end than the Hemi. So from a dig I would expect a much closer race.

glhs875
08-23-2010, 12:16 PM
I agree with all of the comments. And yes my Daytona Ram has 20" wheels. I'm gonna investigate the stock tire height differences between the different stock wheels offered. Good info!

Turbo3Iroc
08-23-2010, 12:32 PM
The stock 245's are about 30.5" tall, the on/off road 265's are 31.5" and the 20's are 33"!

glhs875
08-23-2010, 01:04 PM
The stock 245's are about 30.5" tall, the on/off road 265's are 31.5" and the 20's are 33"!

I'm definitely looking into that. My next set of tires will most likely be shorter in height. I want to take more advantage of the 3.92 gears. I know the stock 20" wheel tire combo is VERY HEAVY!!!

glhs875
08-23-2010, 01:09 PM
I've got 275/60/20 tires on my truck. I measured them maybe at a touch over 32" in diameter.

Turbo3Iroc
08-23-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm definitely looking into that. My next set of tires will most likely be shorter in height. I want to take more advantage of the 3.92 gears. I know the stock 20" wheel tire combo is VERY HEAVY!!!

You could go down to a 55 series tire and you would be closer to the stock gearing of a 265 tire or 265/50 to get the grearing of a stock 245 tire.

I've got 275/60/20 tires on my truck. I measured them maybe at a touch over 32" in diameter.

That is with weight on the tire. Overall diameter is measured unloaded. The circumference remains the same.