PDA

View Full Version : Jacobs electronics possible?

strang3majik
08-15-2010, 11:31 AM
I have a Jacobs electronic ignition box and coil, and I was wondering if it would be possible to make work on my GLH?

I saw on Car Domain someone used it on thier SC turbo with the stock computer, and, I didn't think that was possible.

But, can it work and is it worth it? I just have this stuff sitting around, and figured, why not.

shackwrrr
08-15-2010, 11:39 AM
as long as there is a 4 cylinder option on that box then you should be fine. Just hook the wires that go to the coil from the computer up to the box and then give it 12 volts and a ground, then hook it up to the coil and there you go. You cant hook it strait up the the hep because it cant control timing and cant read the signal. Should give you a lot better idle quality and run bigger spark gap.

turbovanmanČ
08-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Yep, what he said. I run an Aurora coil box, love it, :hail:

strang3majik
08-16-2010, 12:14 AM
I actually got it out of the yard off of a Geo Metro 3 cylinder...lol I searched on their site, though, and it said nothing about number of cylinders mattering. I can't imagine it would, though...because, why would they make an aftermarket electronic ignition system for a 3 cylinder :p

But, thank you Shackwrrr...I'll probably try it out then. I'm planning on really tearing into this thing with the supercharger setup here soon...so, this would probably pair up nicely with that.

So...

on the bottom, it tells all the wires and where they're supposed to go. So...please correct the ones I need to change.

Batt +
Batt -
IGN SW
+ COIL
- COIL
DIST
TACH
ANTI-THEFT (ground to deactivate)
+ MAG
- MAG

So...what do I need to, and need not hook up? Also, I'm assuming mag means alternator?

But, its a Jacobs Electronic Ignition Mileage Master and an Ultra Coil.

shackwrrr
08-16-2010, 12:39 AM
give it bat+ and - then put the current positive coil wire to ignsw then + and - coil to your coil then put the current coil negative to dist. I thought after I said that I guess it doesn't matter how many cylinders there are just that it sparks every time the computer tells it to spark.

ShadowFromHell
08-16-2010, 03:57 AM
I had one of these, and I couldn't make it run on my 88 shadow. I may have been hooking it up wrong. I will probably try it on my NA rampage if it ever sees the road again. Let us know how it works out for you.

22shelby
08-16-2010, 09:35 AM
MAG does not meen alt, its for a magneto i believe...

the only wire you will be concerned about is the B+ B- ignition switch coil + and -..... thats it....

im sure if u search jacobs ignition, ull find a wiring diagram for that box.... what model number is it???

also there will be a lil "cap" and under the cap will be 2 looped wires, this is your cyl select i dont know which wires for the Jacobs elec to cut so look it up too

here this will get you started...

http://www.accel-ignition.com/InstructionSheetsList.aspx?b2=j

shackwrrr
08-16-2010, 12:05 PM
mag is for a magnetic flywheel trigger.

22shelby
08-16-2010, 12:27 PM
thats what i figured, something we dont need...

OmniLuvr
08-16-2010, 02:29 PM
and i think the selection for number of cyl is only for the tach option right? and im thinkin he needs a coil signal input to get a coil signal output right?

shackwrrr
08-16-2010, 10:59 PM
and i think the selection for number of cyl is only for the tach option right? and im thinkin he needs a coil signal input to get a coil signal output right?

yep, then it just gives a spark out for every spark in.

That makes a good setup if you are running a Might Soon Die, when it dies you can just hook up the coil the old way and keep on going.

Spraynlog
08-17-2010, 03:00 PM
FWIW, I had a Jacobs Omni Pac that I put on my '86 T1 Lebaron. I was able to open the plug gaps up to .50, and still run 14lbs of boost. Later on, I took it off, but I forgot to regap the plugs....it missed real bad under boost!:o So it seems it did provide a stronger spark, but I didn't notice any power or mileage increase, so I left it off. YMMV.;)

boboli
09-14-2010, 11:24 PM
I have one on my car and it is really simple to hook up. I took it off of my V8 mustang and put it straight on to my omni. Power and ground to the battery, red and green wires to the coil wires and ground the antitheft = good to go.
I found on my mustang that it was powerful enough to keep the car running with huge jets ( like 100's), running so rich. I think it may be too powerful and it really can throw off your tuning as it covers up rich conditions that caused me to loose power but not to run too poorly. I finally got an egt on the car and started leaning it out till it broke a valve guide. You can open up your plug gaps a fair amount.