PDA

View Full Version : Dakota needs a driveshaft and towing question

1966 dart wagon
08-14-2010, 10:35 AM
My truck broke a U joint a couple weeks back, Went to go put new ones in and one of the ears on the rear shaft wasnt quite straight enough to install it, I was able to install it eventually, Tried to get it as straight as I could(which looked good) but I knew it was a gamble and probably wouldnt work, So now it vibrates and I need a driveshaft. I have a 96 ext cab short box v8 4wd truck, Do I need to get the exact same truck to get a shaft off of, assuming yes it needs to be ext cab/short box for the correct length but will a v6 work or do they have smaller U joints?

I also need to tow a 240sx and a car trailer at least 700 miles next weekend assuming the shaft problem is fixed will my truck be able to handle that kind of weight, I was thinking yes but someone I was talking with said no, not without helper springs and with my worn shocks. Anyone have any input? I was checking out some dodge forums most of them said I'd be ok.

Sgt Craig
08-15-2010, 06:34 PM
My truck broke a U joint a couple weeks back, Went to go put new ones in and one of the ears on the rear shaft wasnt quite straight enough to install it, I was able to install it eventually, Tried to get it as straight as I could(which looked good) but I knew it was a gamble and probably wouldnt work, So now it vibrates and I need a driveshaft. I have a 96 ext cab short box v8 4wd truck, Do I need to get the exact same truck to get a shaft off of, assuming yes it needs to be ext cab/short box for the correct length but will a v6 work or do they have smaller U joints?

I also need to tow a 240sx and a car trailer at least 700 miles next weekend assuming the shaft problem is fixed will my truck be able to handle that kind of weight, I was thinking yes but someone I was talking with said no, not without helper springs and with my worn shocks. Anyone have any input? I was checking out some dodge forums most of them said I'd be ok.

You wont have any problem towing the 240 with your truck.I dont know why but my dad towed my brothers mustang on a dolly from Chicago to Pittsburgh with no problems.Truck was a V6 4x4 with over 200k on it.

iangoround
08-15-2010, 08:06 PM
V8 Dakotas have tow ratings similar to most full size pickups. Even my 2001 V6 is rated to tow around 5,500 lbs. It huffed and puffed a lot, but it towed my 86 Turbo Z C/S from somewhere south of Reading, PA back to Rochester, NY. I was getting around 8mpg, but hey...what can I expect out of the little 3.9L?

To answer your driveshaft question: shafts should be the same between V6 and V8 trucks as long as the wheelbase is the same.

Vigo
08-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Ive towed everything but the freakin moon with our 3.9 dakota. Pulled a daytona on a car dolley about 100 miles today.

Love me some dakota.

1966 dart wagon
08-15-2010, 10:25 PM
went to the junk yard sat and found the same wheel base dakota with a v6, I took it out and compared it to my truck the best i could with one person, first off it was about half the diameter i must have a heavy duty unit, and I may have just eye balled it wrong but it appeared to be shorter. but who knows if i had the ends matching up anyways after seeing that it was way skinnier decided not to go that route. I'm taking the shaft to a local drive shaft shop tomorrow to see what they can do with it, I hope they can check it and make it all good again without getting killed on a price!

86Shelby
08-16-2010, 06:13 PM
What you're doing sounds like the best option. They can make sure it's as good as new.

1966 dart wagon
08-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Got the shaft back from the driveshaft shop today, works perfectly.

Thanks for the input everyone!