PDA

View Full Version : Automatic SRT-4

BlueBaron
08-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Think it's possible to build and mate an automatic to an SRT-4?

I suppose a custom computer would be needed?

rbryant
08-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Think it's possible to build and mate an automatic to an SRT-4?

I suppose a custom computer would be needed?

It depends on what automatic you use. If you use a neon 3 speed automatic then it requires no computer control. If you used the 4 speed then something would have to be done. There might be a separate control module for that one though.

Little things tend to be different with computer calibrations between automatics to manuals but that is probably not something that would be noticed.

Are you trying to make a fast golf cart or something? ;)

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2010, 01:17 PM
I should know this but I am sure the trans and engine computers are one and the same so you'd have to wire in the computer and reprogram, that shouldn't be too hard as you can run a PT Cruiser cal with tweaks.

If you want the 3 speed, just beef it up and install it, find a LU version so you'll limit the rpm's on the highway, which will still be high compared to a 4 speed but less issues with durability.

rbryant
08-13-2010, 01:42 PM
I have a PT turbo automatic ECM and and the vin from the PT it came from if that can help we can work out a fair price on it.

-Rich

contraption22
08-13-2010, 02:24 PM
There are quite a few 3-speed SRT-4 swaps out there now. Heck, for a little under $8k, you can buy everything you need from Darrell Cox Racing. Bargain! lol

http://www.dcrsrt.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=49

BlueBaron
08-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Or do I simply get off my lazy a$$ and learn to shift? lol

Basic idea here, is to put an SRT motor into my '02 Neon automatic.
And of course, I'd like the simple method.

Sounds like that would be to use an auto that isn't comp controlled. Would the stock SRT computer have any problems then? Or does it not look at the manual trans at all?

contraption22
08-13-2010, 02:55 PM
I vote learn to shift. And if you are going to keep the motor relatively stock, I would use the NV-350 neon trans.

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2010, 03:07 PM
There are quite a few 3-speed SRT-4 swaps out there now. Heck, for a little under $8k, you can buy everything you need from Darrell Cox Racing. Bargain! lol

I'll build one for $4K, :eyebrows:

Or do I simply get off my lazy a$$ and learn to shift? lol

Basic idea here, is to put an SRT motor into my '02 Neon automatic.
And of course, I'd like the simple method.

Sounds like that would be to use an auto that isn't comp controlled. Would the stock SRT computer have any problems then? Or does it not look at the manual trans at all?

Computer doesn't care if you put an auto in.

Putting an SRT motor in isn't simple, lol. :o

GLHNSLHT2
08-13-2010, 09:15 PM
4spd automatic with SRT4 engine in Horizon with megasquirt stuff controlling it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krL6v1h6jog&feature=channel

Aries_Turbo
08-13-2010, 10:42 PM
awesome!!!! :)

Brian

turbovanmanČ
08-13-2010, 10:57 PM
awesome!!!! :)

Brian

+infinity, :thumb:

Now to get a case here from Mexico, :o

black86glhs
08-14-2010, 12:23 AM
If they just came out with a trans controller so you don't have to swap over to Megasquirt for everything, that would be sweet!!:hail:

Aries_Turbo
08-14-2010, 07:35 AM
i think you can run just the MS2/GPIO to control the trans without using a MS on the engine. i think you lose some safety features though cause the trans box isnt seeing the MS data across the can bus.

Brian

GLHNSLHT2
08-14-2010, 11:35 AM
+infinity, :thumb:

Now to get a case here from Mexico, :o

I hear a PT Turbo trans works just fine. The tranny in the video happened to come from a Mexican Turbo stratus that somehow made it's way to a j-yard in Seattle.

black86glhs
08-15-2010, 02:32 AM
i think you can run just the MS2/GPIO to control the trans without using a MS on the engine. i think you lose some safety features though cause the trans box isnt seeing the MS data across the can bus.

BrianGood to know it can be done.

I hear a PT Turbo trans works just fine. The tranny in the video happened to come from a Mexican Turbo stratus that somehow made it's way to a j-yard in Seattle. That would be nice if it does work. We can let Simon go to Mexico....lol.

turbovanmanČ
08-15-2010, 02:36 AM
If they just came out with a trans controller so you don't have to swap over to Megasquirt for everything, that would be sweet!!:hail:

They have.

I hear a PT Turbo trans works just fine. The tranny in the video happened to come from a Mexican Turbo stratus that somehow made it's way to a j-yard in Seattle.

A PT is still a 2.4, won't bolt up properly and I can't have the starter in the front, no room.

black86glhs
08-15-2010, 02:47 AM
They have.

A PT is still a 2.4, won't bolt up properly and I can't have the starter in the front, no room.Just a trans controller that doesn't do anything else?
If you can't have it in front, I guess you are SOL or off to Mexico.:eyebrows::p

turbovanmanČ
08-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Just a trans controller that doesn't do anything else?

Yeah, its my 4 speed thread, buried somewhere in the anals of Turbo-mopar, lol.

GLHNSLHT2
08-15-2010, 04:00 PM
This isn't an automatic T3 thread :) It's an Automatic 2.4 SRT thread :)

glhs0426
08-15-2010, 07:54 PM
I helped a friend of mine install an SRT engine in his '00 Neon with a 31TH. The major hurdles were making clearance between the throttle body and the transmission case, making the stock hood clear the front cam gear, modify the stock fascia/core support for the ic, and wiring. Nothing was very complicated at all. Patience and planning with the wiring diagrams is needed.

We used the stock 2.0L flexplate, a 2.4L minivan throttle body (I suspect an old TM throttle body would work, we just used what was laying around), and spliced in the engine/computer harness from the SRT4.

Your swap will be easier in the fact that you already have the same style engine controller. Just add the wiring for the extra MAP sensor, boost control solenoid, and use an on engine harness from an SRT4. If you have SKIM (gray key), there are ways to marry the PCM and SKIM (SRT forums). Don't forget to upgrade the fuel pump.

turbovanmanČ
08-18-2010, 01:52 AM
This isn't an automatic T3 thread :) It's an Automatic 2.4 SRT thread :)

Who said it was? :confused:

thefitisgay
08-18-2010, 02:28 AM
oooo i sense another ---- fest coming on

amcpacer
08-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Wow this is amazing! I want a 2.4 automatic to go in my Laser. I liked that video but it made me feel so low tech with my setup.

SebringLX
08-18-2010, 07:21 PM
41TE could be used with either a PT Cruiser PCM, a PSC controller (plug and play available, but it's like $900) or soon the MegaShift (still being worked on).

If you go with the PT Cruiser PCM, you need the wiring harness for it too, and you'll have to do the same stuff for the SKIM as you would have to do using the SRT-4 PCM.

If you stick with the SRT-4 PCM and transfer all the SKIM stuff so it will work, the 31TH can be used without a trans controller, but the speedometer would probably be off. That's only a concern if you're trying to use the stock cluster from the SRT-4 too though.

If you go with the 41TE, you get the option of a manual shift mode, which is both useful and fun. :D The video that was already posted of the 2.4L/41TE in an Omni combo has a Stratus R/T shift assembly (same as what I have in my Sebring) with the auto-stick mode. The functionality for it has not yet been added to the MegaShift stuff he's using yet though.

rbryant
08-18-2010, 07:57 PM
41TE could be used with either a PT Cruiser PCM, a PSC controller (plug and play available, but it's like $900) or soon the MegaShift (still being worked on).

If you go with the PT Cruiser PCM, you need the wiring harness for it too, and you'll have to do the same stuff for the SKIM as you would have to do using the SRT-4 PCM.

If you stick with the SRT-4 PCM and transfer all the SKIM stuff so it will work, the 31TH can be used without a trans controller, but the speedometer would probably be off. That's only a concern if you're trying to use the stock cluster from the SRT-4 too though.

If you go with the 41TE, you get the option of a manual shift mode, which is both useful and fun. :D The video that was already posted of the 2.4L/41TE in an Omni combo has a Stratus R/T shift assembly (same as what I have in my Sebring) with the auto-stick mode. The functionality for it has not yet been added to the MegaShift stuff he's using yet though.

I have the PT wiring and PCM if anyone needs it. :)

-Rich

Aries_Turbo
08-18-2010, 09:28 PM
is the PT trans controller tunable? firmness etc?

Brian

GLHNSLHT2
08-18-2010, 09:58 PM
They have.

A PT is still a 2.4, won't bolt up properly and I can't have the starter in the front, no room.

Who said it was? :confused:

I believe you brought up your T3 engine above right?

glhs0426
08-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Is the '02 Neon 3,4,or 5speed currently?

BlueBaron
08-19-2010, 03:05 AM
My '02 is a 2.0L auto. I think it's 4 speed.

SebringLX
08-19-2010, 09:06 AM
is the PT trans controller tunable? firmness etc?

Brian
I think the DSP can now for some of them. The Stage 1 ATX PT PCM has the best programming and firmness levels of any OEM PCM for the 41TE.

My '02 is a 2.0L auto. I think it's 4 speed.
Might be the weaker 40TE then, may want to look into that.

If you're going to use the SRT-4 intake manifold, you have to cut the end off and weld the TB on so it will fit with the auto trans.

Aries_Turbo
08-19-2010, 09:43 AM
I think the DSP can now for some of them. The Stage 1 ATX PT PCM has the best programming and firmness levels of any OEM PCM for the 41TE.

how firm? able to handle 400whp?

can those programmers flash any 41te controller that doesnt involve a skim module? those skim things are such a pain in the ---. there has got to be a way to remove that programming that checks for that stuff.

Brian

SebringLX
08-19-2010, 10:49 AM
how firm? able to handle 400whp?

can those programmers flash any 41te controller that doesnt involve a skim module? those skim things are such a pain in the ---. there has got to be a way to remove that programming that checks for that stuff.

Brian
Should be. There's a guy with a PT Cruiser running a 50 trim, 12.1 @ 115mph IIRC, his trans was supposedly built identical to mine. His is still working, mine as you know broke. Only difference is he had a Stage 1 PCM as the base for his tuning, and I have my stock Sebring PCM.

The DSP only works with NGC controllers, and there's a list of specific ones that are supported from the vehicles that they support. I'm not sure if all NGC vehicles use SKIM/SKIS or not. I know with the SCT you can turn some of the SKIM stuff off, but I've never tried it, I just know the tables are there for it.

I have a Stage 1 PT Cruiser PCM. I know a guy that has access to both a DRB III and the DSP stuff. I'm hoping to connect with him when I go down to his area again Sept 11th and 12th. I'm going to try and flash the VIN and SKIM from my Sebring to this Stage 1 PT Cruiser PCM with the DRBIII, then I am going to flash a tune onto it with my SCT stuff. If it works, I'll probably see if I can get him to use his DSP stuff to see what it can and can't do with the trans.

glhs0426
08-19-2010, 03:08 PM
It would be great if the SKIM was able to be turned off in the PCM. As long as a new PCM can never "see" a SKIM it will never look for a SKIM. Once a PCM recieves a message from the SKIM it will always expect it.

I have successfully changed a PCM's SKIM code to read from another SKIM, but never been successful at getting a PCM to forget about SKIM. All this was done with a DRBIII.

turbovanmanČ
08-19-2010, 07:58 PM
I believe you brought up your T3 engine above right?

You mentioned about controllers, I answered. You mentioned use a 2.4 case with our engines, I said they won't fit, not sure how that makes this a TIII thread? :confused:

GLHNSLHT2
08-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Simon you mentioned getting a case from Mexico. I noted that you could use a PT tranny to bolt up to the SRT4 motor which is what this thread was from the beginning. Somehow you assumed I was reffering to a 2.2/2.5 block. I was not. This thread has been 2.4 from the start.

black86glhs
08-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Simon you mentioned getting a case from Mexico. I noted that you could use a PT tranny to bolt up to the SRT4 motor which is what this thread was from the beginning. Somehow you assumed I was reffering to a 2.2/2.5 block. I was not. This thread has been 2.4 from the start.He's got you there.

Mr.Mopar
02-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Will a PT Trans work in a SRT4?

Off the wall thought. Convert the neon to rwd and run a 904 /adapter plate.

Sgt Craig
02-20-2011, 10:56 AM

And a long wait im sure!

turbovanmanČ
02-20-2011, 07:31 PM
And a long wait im sure!

Yeah, I honestly don't see $8K worth of stuff in his transmissions, :(

Will a PT Trans work in a SRT4?

If you can get it too shift, no problem. Maybe you have to run a PT Cruiser computer or just the programming?

Simon you mentioned getting a case from Mexico. I noted that you could use a PT tranny to bolt up to the SRT4 motor which is what this thread was from the beginning. Somehow you assumed I was reffering to a 2.2/2.5 block. I was not. This thread has been 2.4 from the start.

Correct but you somehow turned it around, I didn't assume anything from you regarding a 2.2/2.5 block. I was merely mentioning getting one for me.