PDA

View Full Version : How to remove 568 bearings?

Boogieman142
06-17-2006, 10:50 PM
I am having a little trouble getting the;
1. Differential bearings off the diff
2. diff races out without damaging the oil sleeve
3. bearings off of the shafts.
4. The front intermediate shaft bearing out of the case.
the input shaft races i can get out by pounding them out from the otherside.
My fsm says to use some special tools, arethey neccessary or is there a different way to get them out. Welding them is not an option either.

Boogieman142
06-17-2006, 11:19 PM
should i just go to the dealer and have them pull them for me?

TurboGLH
06-18-2006, 12:07 AM
You really do need the special tools to get them out without tearing your hair out. If you goto the dealer be prepared to pay more than you want, or for them to laugh. Most of those tools have probably been sitting unused in their tool room for the past ten years or longer.

Boogieman142
06-18-2006, 12:39 AM
well, last time i went there they said that they don't do trans. like those anymore so maybee if i can rent the tools or buy them from them or somethin. Also the ppl at the dealer i know on a personal basis so maybee they will help me out.

86Shelby
06-23-2006, 12:09 AM
For the diff breaings, bearings on the shafts and the input shaft race in the case I've gone to a local place that does a lot of work with thier press. Usually ran about $40 to have that stuff pressed off and new ones pressed back on.
Be certain to have them accurately measure the distance of the input shaft race in the case and press it in .010 less than the old one was in. Take this measurement from the bellhousing side of the case. That makes it easier to set the endplay since you'll be pushing the race in the last couple thousandths with the seal retainer to get a truer reading for the shims you need.

For the diff races I've used a OA torch. The aluminum housing is the easiest to do. You heat up the housing around the race; don't heat the race if you can help it. Quickly heat the housing and then tap it while it's upside down. the race should fall out. The cast iron housing I've done the same way but it takes a bit more work and some ice on the race to get it to cool sufficiently. One more option that's been given to me that I haven't tried is to have someone weld a bead on the race and then immediately tap it upside down-again this would work the best on the aluminum housing.

MiniMopar
06-23-2006, 01:38 AM
For the bearings on the diff and input shaft: Wrap the diff/shaft in rags and expose the bearing in question and mount it in a vise (being careful not to catch anything important in the jaws). Put a cutting wheel on your dremel and cut off the bearing roller cage and remove it and the rollers. Use the dremel to cut through the inner race, being VERY CAREFUL not to catch the adjacent gear or whatever is near by. Cut down until you are just short of cutting all the way through the race. Set a cold chisel in the groove and hit it hard with a small sledge. This will crack the race and it will slide right off.

For the intermediate bearing and the diff outer race in the extension housing I use a slide hammer. Often the bearing is not in there very tight and you can get it out with a small puller that has the jaws flipped over. The extension housing is difficult, but heating it can work.

The outer race in the steel retainer can be removed by mounting it in a vise with the seal up, removing the axle seal by prying it out, CAREFULLY working the oil baffle out by prying it with a small screw driver. Then use a drift punch to tap out the race. Be careful to set the punch on the race and not on the shim that is in there. Once the race moves a bit, the shim can be slid out of the way to set the punch on it better.