PDA

View Full Version : '72 'Cuda - 440 stroker twin t-4

Cudas8me
08-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Hello everybody. I'm new here but just found this site so please forgive me. I have a '72 Barracuda (low option, but console slap stick auto) that is getting a 440 Source stroked (512) Brodix B1-BS headed, twin T-4 Turbo'd 440, so I think I belong here. I own a fab shop in North Vancouver, Canada and we work in construction but this is my hobby/passion. I tried to post pics, but have to lower the res first. I also have an 01 Durango R/T, 99 Cummins/03 Cummins/04.5 Cummins/06 Cummins in my shop (turbo's everywhere). If anyone follows Cummins stuff, my Uncle own Colt Cams up here and is helping many go fast on 6 cylinder diesel tanks. I just want to introduce myself so that I can draw on the collective when I get my Cuda together and need to attempt to tune it. First twin big block for me so I will definitely need help. Thanks in advance.

RKD

22shelby
08-06-2010, 11:11 PM
welcome!!! and yep ill be looking forward to this write up....

and i know there is another certian member on here that will be having to wipe the drool fro his mouth after he sees this build....cough cough JT cough

raccoon
08-06-2010, 11:11 PM
cool welcome aboard, any pictures?

bakes
08-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Welcome to Tm , sound like you will have screamer for Misson !
Maybe i could stop by on my way home from work (Langley) and chat and check out your ride
oh and are BC thread http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6341

ohiorob
08-07-2010, 05:45 AM
so what do you have so far engine wise and what type of engine management are you planning to run.

welcome aboard

shelbydave
08-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Welcome!!!

BadAssPerformance
08-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Welcome to the forum! :thumb:

Pics?

Dusty_Duster
08-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Summit Racing has a couple fuel injection kits that support forced induction, including a few that can "learn" on their own and don't need a whole lot of tuning. One of those kits might be a good idea.

Let me know if you want me to get part numbers. I'll dig out an old catalog.

turbovanmanČ
08-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Cool, another Vancouverite, :hail:

I know your uncle very well, good guy.

Hope to see you around, :thumb:

Cudas8me
08-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the welcome. I've figured out how to re-size in Picasa (quite simple really, lol) I've attached a few PDF's of it in front of my shop. Currently it has the tired out original small block it came with (Barracuda, not 'Cuda) that I built at 16. In my shop I have two 440's, a .030 over '75 (cast crank) and a std bore '72 (steel crank). For now the plans are to put the steel crank in the 030 over with the factory '75 heads(motor was on propane and mint), put as many aluminum parts on it as I can buy and make, cam it big and chuck it in. Once there I can use it for some N/A fun while I build the stroker out of the never bored '72. Already have the Brodix heads (new), T-4's, and wastegates along with many other parts for the swap. Car is auto and will stay that way(got great trans guy who does my diesels). Have to do it this way because with the small block in, I cant figure out the plumbing(exhaust headers for clearance etc.)

Force Fed Mopar
08-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Welcome, nice stable list :) Are you building this as a drag car, or Pro Tourer?

Cudas8me
08-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Sorry, forgot to answer a few. Am running an MSD digital 6 right now as it has two step retard etc, so am trying to plan out some of it. There are injection kits for 440's now but I'll likely be building a sheet aluminum intake for the big motor as I've built them for people before and I'd like to keep it all under the hood sleeper like. I'm thinking that's where I'll need to ask many questions. Throttle body size, injector size/style etc once I calculate the airflow requirements and all. Will be ordering the 512cube kit and will be getting my Uncle to give me a nice mellow idling cam, at that cubic inch size you can run a pretty big stick and they still idle nice, planning on driving the crap out of it everywhere. Car already has massive custom 4 core rad and Viper crate motor electric fan so cooling should be fine, rad was built for 1000+hp.

Cudas8me
08-07-2010, 10:01 PM
To force fed, I'm building it simply as fun for me. I have buddies that drag, and will go play with them once in a while, but I'm planning on driving it all over in city traffic etc, so handling will be a factor as well. Going for the whole package I guess, just one step at a time as money and time allow. Owning and working at a fab/welding, shop helps a lot.

Force Fed Mopar
08-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Cool, check out ProTouringMopar.com also, lotta similar build there. I have a '67 Coronet 500 that is probably gonna get a boosted 440 also, unless I can score a '68 Charger body.

omni_840
08-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Welcome:)

Cudas8me
09-01-2010, 10:53 PM
OK, new to forums, please forgive. Not sure if this is how to post a new thread or not as related to my project. Regardless, here's the update. Had the car out in old-built-when-16-and-beat-on-extremely-low-budget-small-block-format, and something (too grossed out to find out what) is leaking VERY badly, left trail into garage; likely transmission output or main(always leaked a little). However, while out guy in crowd around the car while parked at Safeway tried to trade me his Mercedes for my Barracuda, felt pretty good except not a fan of WW2 technology, so said no. Felt better about hemorrhage from drivetrain. Anyhow . . . how does the collective feel about Mass-Flo EFI for my 512?? My new engine will be running about 9.5/1 with Brodix B1/B2 heads, an MSD 6al, and a mild cam to idle . . . looking for about 800 flywheel?? Any Ideas?

Directconnection
09-01-2010, 11:13 PM
#1) 800 hp can be had with B1 heads in N/A form. Doing it with turbos is the easy way out:p

#2) The stock 440 block is fairly stout... but at levels over 650hp, the mains will become the weak point. No real mass under the main saddle areas in the block, and they eventually can crack all the way up the bore. There are ways to help with this with better caps, and/or girdle, etc...

Cudas8me
09-02-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm well aware of all the ups and downs of the bottom end, if I was concerned I'd pick up a 400 or aftermarket block. Girdle will be used, thanks for the warning though, many don't realize the limitation. I realize B1's hit 800 just fine in N/A form and that's fine, but try the idle/overheat/smell/obviousness of it all and that's why the turbo choice. Mild cam, no idle overheating issues, easier on the drivetrain and on the bottom end as the boost makes the power progressively, that's why no supercharger. Looking for a super fun cruise machine. Turbos are the easy way no doubt . . . but in the age of technology why not. You can't turn the boost up on a N/A, gotta change a cam for more hp, how sad.

Directconnection
09-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Hey... not dissin' on ya, bud!

I just read that you have some great heads, and some other supporting mods... just thought you'd be leaving some on the table with a stock 440 block :nod:

I have a '67 Barracuda that I ideally wanted to do a 426 hemi into it to clone the '68 hemi SS cars... but you know the price on anything 426, 472, 528.... So, a nice 550-600hp NA 440 will have to do. But... my dream would also be to do a turboed 440 someday.

Cudas8me
10-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Whoops, haven't been on in a bit. For Direct, I certainly meant no disrespect, or to be pissy. Aftermarket blocks I'm sure will come later, simply can't afford/justify one before the R+D with this thing happens. Once I figure out how to work it all, then I'll probably have to pop for one. I'd much rather explode a $1000 short block on an oops than a $5000 one. Ahhh if only we all had LARGE bankrolls the fun we could have. I appreciate all the input. Love to see pics of '67 if you got any, one of my fav's and would be the dedicated/trailered drag car of choice if I can ever build one.

Force Fed Mopar
10-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Don't have any pics at the moment of the '67. Should have it up here at the house soon though to start working on it, I'll take some then.

Dan15
10-11-2010, 02:14 PM
You mentioned that good handling will be a factor and i was wondering if you've ever heard of or looked into Hotchkis Suspension? They sell whole kits with everything you'd need for an awesome handling car. I saw a Challenger T/A with this kit on it and it flew through an auto cross course! It was easy to see the kit made the car handle way way better than stock. I'm pretty sure the kits are around$ 2,500.

Cudas8me
10-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Hello everybody. Just an update. As far as the suspension, I have heard of them and hope to do something just like that to mine. Haven't decided which vendor yet. I'm going to SEMA on Nov 2 so I'll be scouting there. Had 'Cuda out last weekend and intake gasket decided to give up the ghost, LARGE coolant leak at back of head resulting in much smoke. I guess motors you build at 15, and try and thrash on at 33 don't work soo good. Gotta give'er credit though, pulled a 6500 rpm shift just proir to that, sounded pretty good still. Anyhow, these kinds of things are pushing me to 440+ building very rapidly. I'll try and get it (the first one) together and in for spring. Hope everyone is well. Talk to ya soon.