PDA

View Full Version : Took van to track last night.

My96z
06-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Well was a bit dissapointed last night. But first with some background info.

Took van to the track for first time in March. See post here:http://www.turbododge.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112512

Ran a best that night of 14.39@92.33. After that I installed a large high flow Yonaka FMIC. Van felt alot better on the topend compared to the supra unit I was using. A few days later I ended up breaking a pump gear in the tranny. So I sent the clutch packs off to Shadow T2 to install new 5 and 5 clutch packs while it was out. Get it back togeher and install some NGK BR9ES gapped at .030. Van and tranny feel real good.

Back to track last night.

First run 16 PSI. I line up with a LS1 Z28 that sounded pretty mean, I say to myself geez, a loss to start the night. So I do a small burnout and and stage. Light s green and we are off come out even out of the hole and pretty much trade quarterpanels the majority of the track till about the last 200' where he started pulling hard and put it on me. Timeslip said my 14.82@90 to his 14.56 @97.

Only 90 MPH? Air is a pretty shotty, humid and hot with a half-value head wind. So I compensate by turning the boost to 20 PSI.

Ended up running a string of 14.5's and 14.4's at 92+ with a best run of 14.40 @93.83. Demolished many a imports but lost to both pieces of american iron I went up against, so at least I lost to worthy foes (last one was a 2000+ full bolt on, geared, mustang GT). Most 60' times were 2.4, for some reason I couldnt hook last night compared to the 2.2's I was getting last outing.

Got video of it all, just need to find a capture card to post it on the net. All in all, wasnt that good a night at the track. The normal announcer that usually talks smack and gets the crowd riled up wasnt there, what a difference he made in the atmosphere and fun.

I was expecting more with the bigger intercooler at least more MPH. Going to pull plugs later today and check those and look for any possible gremlins elsewhere.

Maybe its time to whore myself out and save for a ported head. Been talking to MPGMike about ported heads and his stuff sure sounds sexy. Cant think of any more bugs in my set-up.

Mods are as follows:

2.5 w/ forged wisecos, Super 60 with .63 turbine/ stock G head/ ported exh. mani/ TU 3" SV/ 3" TU DP/ Full 3" exhaust with dynomax ultra flow/ Yonaka monster FMIC/ home made CAI/ TU 3 bar w 52lbs inj./ built tranny with stock rebuilt convertor. Full weight, just back seats removed.

Figure I would post this on both boards, maybe some one will see somthing I dont in my set-up/ runs.

Jeff

BIG PSI
06-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Not to bad. Did you put ice on the intake manifold ? That really helps our turbo vehicles at the track. In fact if the weather is real hot and muggy doing that will knock off .20 to .25 of a second. If you are icing the intake in the staging lanes make sure that you put a towel over the intake then the ice on top of the towel to absorb the excess water.

Keep at it and have FUN
Chuck Green

glhs875
06-18-2006, 04:41 AM
I think your doing good! Keep it up!

turbovanmanČ
06-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Not bad at all. First and foremost, you must remember this or you will get pissed off, Mods to Minivan's DO NOT act the same as cars. I beat myself up over this for years and finally have accepted it. I did run low 14's on a stock turbo at 22ish psi, stock cal and street tires so you need to sort your combo out.

1st off, get some slicks and you'll be running low 14's easy.

You need to check your IC, if you went slower, it could be because you leaned out due to better flow and denser air-do you have an EGT guage? or the IC isn't as good as you believe. Perform some pressure drop tests.

Whats your A/F guage saying?

A ported head will be worth alot, but I also believe the G-Head is hurting you as it makes less torque and our pig vans need it, not to mention that you need more boost to run faster than a swirl head.

Play with it somemore, get an EGT guage, slicks and you'll be alot faster.

BTW, you have a PM!

My96z
06-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Personal goal of mine is to bust into the 13's on street tires. Should be possible but for that I need MPH!

Looking at my timeslips...

best run in March was a 14.39 @ 92.33 with a 2.28 60'

this time best run of 14.40 @ 93.83 with a 2.36 60'
MPH all but 3 ranged in 92.xx, other two were 91.xx MPH

this last time weather was worse, muggy and bit of headwind. So I really didnt lose anything with the new IC. Will do some drop tests when I get the time, but this IC is at least 3 times the size of the old supra unit that had a big hole in it. I dont see how it possibly can hurt other than causing me to go lean. it is 4" thick though

EGT's... Will slowly climb to 1600 if I keep my foot in it but the A/F gauge has both green lights (9th and 10th) lit everytime :confused:

on one of the runs it sputtered on my about 5/8's down the track where I let off and got back in it and still ran a 92 MPH?

Anyways I am going to do what you said Simon, thanks!! :thumb:

Khajjathefang
07-05-2006, 11:13 AM
hey jeff! this was at slippery river? sounds like the vans really comin together

My96z
07-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Yep TAD. Where you been man? Been waitin to hear from ya! How is life over there? Looks like I will be joining you around November-ish :(

Jeff