PDA

View Full Version : LM, SMEC, SBEC PCB/schematic?

Swart
08-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Anyone have any logic module, SMEC, or SBEC schematics (the PCB, not the wiring)?

ShelGame
08-04-2010, 01:20 PM
I wish, but I doubt it. If you were really ambitious, you could reverse engineer the LM. It's only a 2-layer PCB and not all sealed up like the SMEC and SBEC.

Swart
08-04-2010, 04:08 PM
I wish, but I doubt it. If you were really ambitious, you could reverse engineer the LM. It's only a 2-layer PCB and not all sealed up like the SMEC and SBEC.

Darn it, that's what I was afraid I would have to do...
Somebody somewhere has it -- just not me :)

So what new SBEC related projects are you working on (if any)?
I'm going to get the Palm to work with MiniDash and MiniScan this weekend.

Going to try the LogWorks plug-in as well, I couldn't find much info related to anyone with success using the SBEC though.

butchsuppe
08-04-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm sure the companies that rebuild them have the schematics, if ONLY we could cantact them to maybe get the schematics. Maybe a company like RockAuto could step up and help us. I'd LOVE to have them.

Swart
08-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm sure the companies that rebuild them have the schematics, if ONLY we could cantact them to maybe get the schematics. Maybe a company like RockAuto could step up and help us. I'd LOVE to have them.

That would be nice!
I could reverse engineer it; but that would take some time and trial and error once I built a working prototype of the reverse engineered schematic..

Not that it's impossible, but it would be a challenge.
Would be neat to create a newly designed surface mount PCB SBEC with some 'upgrades'; though you'd still be faced with the limitations of the old chipset and firmware.

ShelGame
08-05-2010, 08:00 AM
The SMEC and SBEC have a problem besides just the schematic - Chrysler used a PLD (programmable logic device) for an interface chip/bus controller/system memory. It's the 44-pin PLCC chip on both the SMEC and SBEC. Though, the chip is different from SMEC to SBEC. No one has been able to figure out exactly which chip it is. And then, you'd have to be able to program it to work the way Chrysler did.

LM would be easier. I've always thought it would be nice to build a 6811-based LM. That way, it could run at least some of the same routines as the SMEC/SBEC. We could have more commonality between systems then.

Swart
08-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Great info!

I'll have to see if I can snag an LM and PM from a yard and try my luck..