PDA

View Full Version : Recomend Exhaust?

V8GremlinX
08-03-2010, 11:24 PM
I purchased a 87 York thats Convert T2 + a little. it has a 2.5 DP no cat into a cherry bomb and side exit in front of drivers rear wheel. its loud and really sounds poo and makes the car sound like a terd. i really dont know what i would loose going to a muffler but i gotta quiet it. just looking for some recomendations.

BadAssPerformance
08-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Best way to quiet is to run the 2.5" (or even 3") all the way out the back with a muffler in the stock location. If you get a performance straight thru muffler like Dynomax Race Magnum Oval or Magnaflow or Borla (just get an Oval case NOT a bullet/glasspack) and it will sound far quieter.

turbovanmanČ
08-04-2010, 03:34 AM
A cat will also knock the sound down.

TU and FWD make nice mandrel bent systems, then add your choice of the above mufflers.

I'll get back to you tomorrow about the trans info.

V8GremlinX
08-04-2010, 08:34 AM
yeah i looked at there site's nothing listed for a E Body. New yorker. would be nice to get a direct bolt system.

Rich

BadAssPerformance
08-04-2010, 09:14 AM
They are almost identical bewtween E, G, H, J, K, P ... My Shadow has the Daytona's old 3" on it, with almost no mods

V8GremlinX
08-04-2010, 07:19 PM
but i don't wanna take the chance and it not fit :) i might call them tomorrow. they don't respond to e-mails, but if anyone can confirm one of them fitting let me know

GLHNSLHT2
08-04-2010, 08:07 PM
all the cars are the same around the tank area. That being said I've either installed or helped install TU's 3" catback system on 2 cars now. 1 was my 87 Yorker, and one was a friends 91 shadow vert. Both systems were the same, both cars were the same around the tank area even my 87 shelbyz is the same underneath. But on the yorker we installed it like Chris says too. It required huge modifications to pipes 1 and 2 out of 3 pipes total. On the vert we didn't want to go through the hassle of that again. So we played around and found that if we installed the pipes 1, 3, 2 and the system goes right in and doesn't bang the spring or the gas tank (once the tank is moved over a bit and the corner bent further down) with plenty of room to move on stock mounts. My new yorker is hard mounted with a flex pipe and still moves over and touches the tank after a while.

Great system once installed pipes in 1,3,2 order. My friend has a off-brand straight through oval muffler with a offset in and center out where the cat is, I have a magnaflow 6" round that TU sells in the stock location and my car is slightly quieter than his.

I put a FWDP 2.5" system on a friends 91 Lebaron GTC vert. Very easy to install, didn't look like it would fit quite right at 1st but with the shortening of pipe #2 in fit like a glove. He has the 6" round magnaflow in 2.5" pipe size in the stock location as well. My 3" system is quieter still by a pretty good amount not that his is loud. The pitch is a lot lower on a 3" system.

If I were to do it all over again I'd still get the TU 3" system and just install the pipes in the 1,3,2 order.

Here is what we did to pipe #2. Added 8" and turned the ends from where they were.
http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2900&g2_serialNumber=2

Not quite right but close, pipe needs to sit in the dent in the cross bar up and too the left of where it's sitting. It's been re modified since this pic.
http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2927&g2_serialNumber=2

And this is the angle you end up with when installing the pipes in the 1,2,3 order. As you can see a muffler won't fit there. I cut pipe #2 and rotated the end out more toward the car when installing a muffler this last spring.
http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2930&g2_serialNumber=2

This is after cutting pipe #2 again and rotating the end so I could turn and go straight back. Muffler is less than 1/4" from the bottom of the frame rail brace they use to tie the car down when shipping it new.
http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3845&g2_serialNumber=2

V8GremlinX
08-04-2010, 09:45 PM
ty
i was prob gonna just go 2.5" is going 3" that more benificial?
guess reguardless im gonna need pieces cut and welded eh? was hoping for something i could just bolt on and go like i did with the 3" cat back when i owed a shadow.

Rich

GLHNSLHT2
08-04-2010, 11:44 PM
everytime I've upgraded even a part of 2.5" exhaust to 3" I've seen gains. I haven't mounted my FWDP 3" cat back yet, it seems to be more of a bolt on.

Aries_Turbo
08-06-2010, 07:33 PM
i have the FWD kit for a shadow on my k car. i had to add an offset in the back so the muffler would clear. i think the k bodies might have less room back near the spare tire area. ill measure against my daytona but the well in the k car looks wider and shallower from what i remember.

Brian

Vigo
08-07-2010, 04:52 PM
once the tank is moved over a bit and the corner bent further down

That is the most helpful info of all.

If you want to lessen the chance of the exhaust rubbing and making noise, you should definitely bend that metal flap from the fuel tank down. Moving it over is more hassle but might give you a tiny bit more room if you still need it. I never have.

One other thing is that you just need to get it into your head from the beginning that the system is not just going to slap together and fit perfect without tweaking. If you are trying to find that you are going to be disappointed no matter what.

Honestly, based on my own experiences cutting, welding, and making my exhaust systems fit right... unless you plan on buying a metal cutting saw and a welder and doing more than one install, you would be a lot better off just paying a professional to install your system.

I have many cars and for me the long term solution is to have the tools and know-how to do it myself. If you only plan to install one system on one car, doing it yourself is just kind of a pointless frustration.

cordes
08-08-2010, 12:31 AM
ty
i was prob gonna just go 2.5" is going 3" that more benificial?
guess reguardless im gonna need pieces cut and welded eh? was hoping for something i could just bolt on and go like i did with the 3" cat back when i owed a shadow.

Rich

Even on the Shadow it didn't just bolt in perfectly IIRC. Didn't your father-in-law need to move over the gas tank and adjust one of the pipes?

By the way, I killed the exhaust about two weeks ago. I hit a pothole in the country while looking out the window at a hawk getting ready to eat something. That caused the muffler and every thing from the rear axle back to fly off the car. Joy was not happy about it.

Vigo
08-08-2010, 02:13 AM
By the way, I killed the exhaust about two weeks ago. I hit a pothole in the country while looking out the window at a hawk getting ready to eat something. That caused the muffler and every thing from the rear axle back to fly off the car. Joy was not happy about it.

WOAH! That's kinda cool.. did you go back and pick it up? I kind of wish that would happen to me just so me and all my friends could laugh about it. lol

Plus i can always use an opportunity to learn to weld it more better. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/welder.gif

GLHNSLHT2
08-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Even on the Shadow it didn't just bolt in perfectly IIRC. Didn't your father-in-law need to move over the gas tank and adjust one of the pipes?

WTF?!? Did you not have it supported after the axle? Did it rust off? What else broke on the car?

cordes
08-08-2010, 04:36 PM
WOAH! That's kinda cool.. did you go back and pick it up? I kind of wish that would happen to me just so me and all my friends could laugh about it. lol

Plus i can always use an opportunity to learn to weld it more better. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/style_emoticons/default/welder.gif

Oh yeah, we went back and picked it up. There are very few houses out there so if someone were to hit that and knock their car out of commission it could be a 10 mile walk to the nearest actual town.

WTF?!? Did you not have it supported after the axle? Did it rust off? What else broke on the car?

It was supported after the rear axle. I haven't looked at the pipe where it goes over the axle, but I believe it just rusted through there and the rust on all the welds allowed each piece to break apart leaving a trail of parts strewn behind us. The muffler broke off into the inlet, outlet, main body, and support tab/hanger.

Nothing else was damaged amazingly enough. It was just enough to cause all those joints to break. I'm pretty luck that we didn't have to hoof it a couple miles to grandma's house.