PDA

View Full Version : fan relay

Murphy
08-03-2010, 02:07 PM
87 shelby z 2.2l t2, few mods nothing too serious, ECU is either stock or stage 1 mopar... can't remember which

The long story:
I took my car out for a drive and when I got home I poped the hood to check the timing and the radiator fan was smoking. I shut off the car and swapped out that rad fan for another one. I disconnected the CTS and turned the car to on to see if the system was working, but it was not. I pulled the plug from the relay and the green wire and surrounding plastic were a bit melted. I tried jumping 12v directly to the green wire for a second and the fan came to life. I tried another relay I had laying around and nothing is happening. I poped the top off a relay and tried it and I can see the relay is working, but nothing is happening at the fan. Looking at the wires I'm guessing the grey wire is input. I tested the grey wire and I get no voltage. the same wire on my 95 spirit gives me battery voltage.

The short story:
My rad fan was smoking so I replaced it, now I have no voltage at the grey wire that goes to the rad fan relay.

Where do I look now? Is there some fusible link that could had blown? is there anything else that could had been damaged?

Murphy
08-03-2010, 02:20 PM
I found it at the fusible link behind the battery. the wire is melted BEFORE the link? oh well seems like an easy enough fix

Murphy
08-03-2010, 02:21 PM
on a related note, does anyone have the list of fuses at the fuse block on a 87 shelby z? I dont have an owners manual and it seems the block itself doesnt list all the fuses....plus its a bit cramped down there...