PDA

View Full Version : Pat's GRM ScAries!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pat
05-30-2010, 03:28 PM
The Shadow is down for the count and won't make it to SDAC, which is disappointing to say the least. Time for Plan B.

Introducing...Plan B. Any questions? :p

Pat
05-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Woke up before the family today...made some progress. T-II radiator is in, intercooler is mounted (loosely at the moment - so no comments that it's crooked!), piping is mocked up. It's not the ideal for piping, but I'm not putting a penny into this thing. If I don't already own it, it's not going on. :)

I'll clean up the butcher cuts I made, weld up the pipes and the bobble strut mount this week. Then, it's onto the nitrous kit install. After that, suspension and a severe weight loss program

Turbo3Iroc
05-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Hey Pat did you say you were changing your name to Tim??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twkIdxgS0lo&feature=related

:lol:

Seriously, nice progress today.

blk86trbo
05-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Just found this while hunting for the Reliant/Supra race video...same car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=931nJleYIlY&feature=fvw

Pat
05-31-2010, 10:52 PM
Just found this while hunting for the Reliant/Supra race video...same car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=931nJleYIlY&feature=fvw

I'm positive that's it! Pretty funny....but somehow, I didn't get the two rear hubcaps.

Pat
06-01-2010, 11:00 PM
More progress on the Scary Aries....

Last night, welded up an upper IC pipe out of left over exhaust piping from other projects past. Thankfully, I don't throw anything away.

Tonight, I fabbed (and I use that term loosely!) a lower intercooler pipe, welded up blow off valve flange and added a little bling to the mix with a polished cold air intake. That's how we roll in Rockville. :p

Also pulled the front bumper from the bumper cover, and test fit it all. Fits as crappy as the day it rolled off the Chrysler assembly line!

Pat
06-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Yeah no doubt. sadly enuff my Shadow has made it to more national events (SDAC and Mopar Nats) than the Daytona :o Always a good time tho :thumb: heck the Shadow has even won money, LOL!

I've been dreading working on the Shadow, yet since I decided that the ScAries was going to be the one, I"ve been out there every night and enjoying it. That tells me leaving the Shadow alone for a bit is the right move.

Made some progress tonight, but not as much as I would have liked. Made a little carrier/support bracket for the long run of IC pipe and made a bung from some bar stock for the nitrous nozzle, welded that on the pipe. At that point, ran out of welding wire and decided a Yeungling was the next logical step. That ended my work for the night.

Pat
06-07-2010, 12:31 PM
The heart of the ScAries fired up today and sounds sweet.

Since I've been throwing out little teasers about what you guys can expect from this beast, here's a shot to give you a hint...I bet it will be the only one at SDAC with this particular mod.

We even modified an emblem to give a little hint unsuspecting victims who line up against it.

Pat
06-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Nice man! Are you running a common block? Or lightweight motor?

Non common block, shotpeened T-II rods with ARP's (from FWD), .020 cast Mahles, cast crank.

Pat
06-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Mounted up the nitrous solenoids on a goofy bracket, wired most if it up, tested and it all works. Need to mount the wot switch and run an arming switch and button into the car. Other than a holesaw blade, I still haven't bought anything...this thing is cheap as cheap can get.

If it runs well, I might neaten it up and paint it and make it a $2010 Challenge car. I think that by Challenge budgeting (stuff on it, parts cars, parts sold), I'd only be in about $6-700 in it at this point, including used slicks and old Hoosiers for autocrossing. I could go for the $1,000 class.

Pat
06-12-2010, 11:30 PM
I do custom work. Let me know your needs.

Will do...not sure if I'll have time to considering doing anything more than trying to make it faster.

Tonight, I plumbed up the nitrous solenoids, wired up the WOT switch on the bracket I mounted up to the throttle cable bracket and ran the wire to the interior for the armin switch. Starting to disassemble part of the dash to locate the arming switch turned into gutting the hell out of the interior, including removing the heater box, which wasn't plumbed in anyway. I bet I took well over 100 lbs all totalled out of it when you include the carpet and the sound deadening. Not bad...besides, I don't really need all those fancy K car luxuries...it's a race car. :)

Pat
06-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Photos of how you installed the intercooler?

There are few earlier from when it was mocked up...I'll snap a few of the engine bay later this week once it's done. I'll get a shot or two of the IC and IC brackets.

I can't wait to see this thing. :)

If you can change a fuel pump, you can come down and check it out tomorrow!:thumb:

Other updates...last night, I found that the brake light switch was broken. found that the plastic mount that attaches the steering column to the lower mount to the steering column was busted, allowing the column to hit that swtich. I fixed the switch, pulled the column and figured out how to fix that lower mount. Tonight I'll make up a new "bushing" to slide and clamp onto the column and hold it steady in the lower mount. It was a pain in the --- that I wasn't expecting....

Dave is pressing in new front wheel bearings today or tomorrow, which I found were shot. Hope to have the knuckles with new bearings installed, along with struts/springs, shocks and sway bars out of the Shadow, reseal the oil pan gasket and replace the fuel pump and filter this week.

I'm hoping for a few test laps of the neighborhood next week.

Pat
06-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks to the help from the SDAC - NCC guys, we made some good progress tonight. We pulled the rusty gas tank with the dying pump out of the ScAries and the dead as dead can be suspension and swapped in the stuff I had run on the Shadow for Grassroots, so I now have used Formula GP's with MP autox springs on it all around, an upgraded panhard bar and will soon have an end linked 1.25" front sway bar and a clean tank with a used Walbro pump in it (that worked fine for the Shadow, so it should be fine for this).

We threw the Koseis with Hoosier slicks on it and dropped it down on the ground to get a look at it. It looks cool as hell sitting really low with fat autox rubber on it. I can't wait to drive it!

Felt a bit odd pulling pieces off the Shadow, but the Shadow is due for a reincarnation out of it's GRM set up. She'll be back and better than ever...just not for SDAC. :-)

Just a few more things and it will be test time to what is working and what is not, which will then determine if I have time to do a turbo swap. :evil:

Pat
06-17-2010, 11:03 PM
She moves under her own power, turns and stops just fine.

Now, time to pop the head off , pull the stock T-II turbo and throw on that nice T3 60 trim/.63 turbo I have sitting on the shelf.

Hey Sean, make sure you pack up your big jets...you're going to need 'em! :thumb:

Pat
06-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Went out the garage today, yada, yada, yada, the ScAries has a more turbo on it. :thumb:

Pat
06-19-2010, 10:32 PM
I worked on a turdo today for many hours in the heat and yadda yadda yadda I'm really tired tonight.

Thanks for the help! Scottie D was a trooper today in the ridiculous heat. We pulled the head, swapped turbos, had to make a few modifications and more than a few fixes that were found along the way, managed to screw up a couple things there in the end but got it sorted out.

Just need to do a new hot side intercooler pipe, mount the bottle and tie up a few loose ends and she's done.

PS - Sean....big jets! You know you want to!

Pat
06-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Built the hot side charge pipe to fit on the ford compressor housing. I inherited a pipe with a flange on it that came with the turbo, but it didn't fit well and it had a wicked flare from 1.75 to 2.25, which I didn't like. What I did was take a 2.25" pipe, cut a pie slice out of it long ways, then wrapped it and seam welded it to make a long cone transition, so now I have the flange and the initial bends, then a cone transition to 2.25:, then a bend under the battery tray towards the IC inlet, where it transitions up to 2.5". It's then 2.5 the rest of the way. Also made a new inlet flange for the Ford housing.

After fixing some other loose ends (leaky power steering pump was the big one), she went on her maiden voyage tonight. I took it about 3 miles...felt pretty good. Spool up with the stock top end and the .63 housing was much better than I thought it would be and at 13 psi, she was hauling pretty good. She's back in the garage for more work, but I"ll have it out to do some real tuning later in the week.

SDAC is getting closer...can't wait!

Pat
06-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Put about 10 miles on it last night and nothing fell off of it! Good news. It's loud, bumpy, rattles, ugly and obnoxious. I like it.

There is a ton of traffic near me, so I didn't get too much of a chance to lay into it much, but at 15 psi it feels pretty good. Spool up is OK, power is very linear and seemed to pull nicely. It's faster than my stock Spirit R/T, but definitely slower than the Shadow. I have a goal in mind for what I'd like to run with it, but we'll see. It has the potential to run the number, but no tuning time makes for a big mystery as to how it will do.

Still some more to do, but either way, it's going to SDAC. Look for a white Dakota Quad Cab with a blue POS hanging off the back of it on a dolly. :-)

See everyone up there!

BadAssPerformance
08-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Update posts copied from old thread into new P-Log :thumb:

turbokid
08-02-2010, 12:43 AM
What FMIC is that?
I want one just like it LMAO!
Looks like a great little project.

Bardo
08-02-2010, 01:20 AM
I love this car

Pat
08-02-2010, 06:35 AM
What FMIC is that?
I want one just like it LMAO!
Looks like a great little project.

It's an OBX Racing IC. I ended up with it off of a car that I bought years ago. It's far from the best, but it seems to work.

turbokid
08-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Would be better then what I got lol

Pat
08-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Update:

I asked JT to consolidate the lounge thread about this car into a project log since we're now converting it to a GRM Challenge car. The last two years, I ran the Shadow and I'm ready to bring something a bit different.

What we learned at SDAC:

1- rear brakes didn't work
2- need more spring rate all around
3- the cylinder head was in rough shape
4- huge oil leak from the rear main seal
5- K frame in the car was cut up underneath (someone cut huge windows to get to the back of the rack bolts....huge windows)
6- a ton of miscellaneous build errors from one of the previous owners (loose bolts, missing brackets, seals not installed correctly, etc.

Despite all of that, the car did very well at both the drags and the autocross with minimal investment. That being the case, we're trying to build the car for a $1000 total. So far, it's been stripped down for cleaning, paint and some body modifications. We've fixed the rear brakes (stuck adjusters) and the a major weight loss program has started.

The motor is on the stand to be cleaned up, painted, have some minor repairs done and some port work done. I think with some love, this motor set up has 11's in it.

We also have a dual pivot K frame from a parts car that will get on there to replace the flexi-beam stub strut k frame that was on there.

I'll post some pictures as we go along, but here is how the car sits right now.

Dusty_Duster
08-03-2010, 09:46 AM
I might have to drive down there some weekend and help you tinker on that thing. :D

Turbo3Iroc
08-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Wow Pat, you never stop!

Pat
08-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Wow Pat, you never stop!

Must...resist....that what she said....comment.... :p

Seriously,it's turned from a slammed together beater in to a real build. The whole team has been working on the car...Barry Miles, Bill Cuttita, Scott Drega (ScottD), Trever Mattern (vntshadow) and Dave Skrab.

Hack Job
08-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Very cool. Is that a big hole in the hood?

DaveSkrab
08-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Very cool. Is that a big hole in the hood?

Yes. :)

Pat
08-03-2010, 11:34 PM
More progress tonight, but nothing worth pictures. Lots of interior cleaning of this nasty gooey seam sealer, started welding up holes on the body and got some engine bay cleaning started. We'll be prepping for paint soon.

I did finish the port work on the head though...came out nice.

rx2mazda
08-04-2010, 12:04 AM
nice!

turbo2point2
08-04-2010, 06:23 AM
Keep up the good work! I love this car:thumb:

Vigo
08-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Glad to hear you're going through it and building it for GRM. I could have done the $1000 class last year if i hadnt run the eibach's and koni's at every penny of what i paid for them..

But im curious, what kind of tires can you fit into your $1000 budget?

turbokid
08-04-2010, 01:55 PM
JY tires FTW!
We sell used tires and sometimes we get lucky and get a set of decent tires.
New lexus came in with 4 pirelli p0's on it in just my size and they looked fairly new.
Ofcourse since my dad owns the yard I didn't pay a dime for them but you know... LOL they woulda cost the avg. joe 60 bucks for the set.

SilverFleet
08-04-2010, 02:28 PM
This thing is such a sleeper!!! I can't wait to see it down at the Challenge. :thumb:

Pat
08-04-2010, 04:03 PM
But im curious, what kind of tires can you fit into your $1000 budget?

Considering that I've already sold off enough off the Aries and the Daytona parts car to completely recoup the cost of each, and the fact that the Aries came with so much drivetrain and the Daytona came with so much suspension, my budget expense is super low. Plenty low enough to add in used slicks and the used autox rubber.

Plus, I also have the four tires that came on the car.

Vigo
08-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Just for anyone who doesn't already know..

Newish street tires of almost ANY kind will NOT cut it if you expect to place well at a GRM challenge in a k-car. You can have all the suspension in the world and still go slower than a hack-job festiva with slicks at autox, and you can make all the power in the world, and it will just make your drag time WORSE. So when im asking about tires im not asking about anything you can find in a junkyard. :p

Pat
08-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Im going to submit this thread to GRM to document the build. :thumb:

Aries_Turbo
08-06-2010, 08:29 AM
thread cleaned up. :) New bs thread here.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51647

Brian

omni_840
08-06-2010, 08:35 AM
If you aren't having any luck finding good racing slicks, give this guy a shout http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=17943&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

He sells used racing compound tires at a very good price.

Pat
08-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Who likes red? :)

ScottD
08-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Well well well look who is back from a long beach vacation spent oogling MILFs.

Could you hurry up and paint the interior so we can get the restored dash in??? I'm dying to see how it looks assembled.

Pat
08-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Here's the other piece I finished recently...I cut the hell out of the trunk to lighten it, removed the hinges, the latch, etc. To mount the lid, I used the trunk spring, cut it up and made little sprung slide latches that grab underneath the package tray area. I then removed the lock cylinder, made a mount for a hood pin and ran a hood pin in the back where the lock cylinder was. The car lost another 16 lbs, the trunk latches perfectly and it cost me nothing more than fair market value of one used hood pin. Plus, I think GRM will dig it.

Pat
08-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Scott...Post pics of the interior pieces you worked on.

turbovanmanČ
08-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Awesome, :hail:

168glhs1986
08-16-2010, 06:42 PM

Bloody Devil's Own Red, now that's scary:evil:

vntshadow
08-16-2010, 06:50 PM
I like the red. The rest of the car goes red?

rx2mazda
08-16-2010, 07:34 PM
.........yeah, with yellow flames probably. :rolleyes: :evil:

2.216VTurbo
08-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Heyyyy, red with white and orange flames:thumb:

Trunk mod rules, nicely done:clap: Maybe run a thin bead of paintable caulking (caulking/Caulkin woah, meant to be;)) right at the edge of where you did all the triming, it's fast and doesn't weigh nearly as much as bondo and when it's all painted, might earn you an extra point or two at the GRM show judging

EDIT: Dammit, Carroll beat me to the joke:mad: Rotten kids, if it weren't for him I'd have gotten away with it:p...

ScottD
08-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Scott...Post pics of the interior pieces you worked on.

Done!

ScottD
08-16-2010, 08:55 PM
One more.

All this stuff was light blue to begin with except the grill of course.

Vigo
08-16-2010, 09:55 PM
I cut the hell out of the trunk to lighten it, removed the hinges, the latch, etc. To mount the lid, I used the trunk spring, cut it up and made little sprung slide latches that grab underneath the package tray area. I then removed the lock cylinder, made a mount for a hood pin and ran a hood pin in the back where the lock cylinder was. The car lost another 16 lbs, the trunk latches perfectly and it cost me nothing more than fair market value of one used hood pin. Plus, I think GRM will dig it.

...interesting.. please scroll to 2:02 of the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYKw4G9YkvI

:p ... i think GRM will like it too!

Better weigh your car when it is race ready so we can see how light you've gotten it by then.

Pat
08-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Bloody Devil's Own Red, now that's scary:evil:

Nothing but Rustoleum's finest for the Aries....

Trunk mod rules, nicely done:clap: Maybe run a thin bead of paintable caulking (caulking/Caulkin woah, meant to be;)) right at the edge of where you did all the triming, it's fast and doesn't weigh nearly as much as bondo and when it's all painted, might earn you an extra point or two at the GRM show judging

EDIT: Dammit, Carroll beat me to the joke:mad: Rotten kids, if it weren't for him I'd have gotten away with it:p...

No flames on this one. The paint is going to be a bit more simple, but it will very much have an "in your face" type look to it. Once it's done, I'll get some pictures up! :-)

There's lots of finish work to do on the trunk still. I have to grind/sand/file a lots of edges. Most of it has been untouched since it's surgery.

One more.

All this stuff was light blue to begin with except the grill of course.

Looks great Scott!

Better weigh your car when it is race ready so we can see how light you've gotten it by then.

That's the plan. One of the locals just picked up a set of corner scales. We'll be using them once the motor is back in it.

Vigo
08-16-2010, 11:24 PM
One of the locals just picked up a set of corner scales. We'll be using them once the motor is back in it.
Oh wow! Ill be really interested to see the weight breakdown with those! :D

Shadowv4l
08-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Please tell me this is a daily driver, hahaha

cobra2411
08-16-2010, 11:54 PM

Noooooooooooooo..... I loved the grampa blue....

Now you have to do faux wood sides... ;)

Love the trunk mod...

turbokid
08-17-2010, 01:10 AM
LOL red is the most recognized color by cops.... hope its not a daily driver

Pat
08-17-2010, 06:41 AM
This is definitely not a daily driver.

Aries_Turbo
08-17-2010, 07:25 AM
what did you guys use to dye/paint the interior panels?

Brian

ScottD
08-17-2010, 08:06 AM
what did you guys use to dye/paint the interior panels?

Brian

Vinyl/fabric spray paint from Pep Boys FTW!

I used gloss black on the dash pad and flat black on everything else.

Aries_Turbo
08-17-2010, 08:31 AM
does it still look like fabric when you spray it or does it look like spray painted fabric?

those black door panels look stellar!

Brian

ScottD
08-17-2010, 08:38 AM
does it still look like fabric when you spray it or does it look like spray painted fabric?

those black door panels look stellar!

Brian

I think it looks like fabric, but I will say the fabric definitely takes on a coarser feel to it after it is sprayed. I used a rear door panel as a test panel to see how it would turn out, and it looked good so I did the fronts. This paint is a cheap and easy way to give an interior a whole new look. I used similar but higher quality SEM paint in my 86 GLHS that brought the interior in it back to life but those pieces were all plastic. This was the first time I tried painting fabric and was pleased how it turned out.

StraX22
08-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Great job on the interior! I can't even imagine an Aries interior in anything but blue and burgundy. The corner weight breakdowns should be interesting.

Aries_Turbo
08-17-2010, 11:16 AM
i wonder how well RIT dye would work on the door fabrics and seat belts. i think i may try that on my reliant.

Brian

Pat
08-17-2010, 11:58 PM
K frame is in, front suspension is loosely in (so I can roll it around) and we did an --- load of sanding. The plan is that the car gets painted this weekend.

turbovanmanČ
08-18-2010, 02:30 AM
I think it looks like fabric, but I will say the fabric definitely takes on a coarser feel to it after it is sprayed. I used a rear door panel as a test panel to see how it would turn out, and it looked good so I did the fronts. This paint is a cheap and easy way to give an interior a whole new look. I used similar but higher quality SEM paint in my 86 GLHS that brought the interior in it back to life but those pieces were all plastic. This was the first time I tried painting fabric and was pleased how it turned out.

Yep, I did some red panels black years ago, works great.

Nice job, :thumb:

Vigo
08-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Is the car also going to be red?

Pat
08-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Is the car also going to be red?

Yes...most of it. :)

contraption22
08-18-2010, 11:56 AM

Awesome. This is something to consider since I cannot seem to avoid red interiors.

Pat
08-18-2010, 10:32 PM
More sanding tonight....ugh.

Shadowv4l
08-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Aircraft remover works wonders, bought myself a can and brushed it on, just stood there and watched my paint literally fall off :)

Pat
08-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Aircraft remover works wonders, bought myself a can and brushed it on, just stood there and watched my paint literally fall off :)

I've used that too...and yes, it's nasty stuff!

I'm not looking to take this thing to metal. I smoothed it out, welded up the holes where the trim mounts were, added a bit of body filler here and there to make it straight, took off some loose paint at the edges and gave it a good scuff to paint on. My plan is to shoot the paint this weekend.

Shadowv4l
08-18-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm just allergic to work, i see something that works for me and I immediatly make that my plan, haha, I'm thinkin flat black with a kill switch for the rear lights, but you look like you know what your doing, Nice ride!

Reeves
08-19-2010, 09:54 AM

I say Blood Red with white and blue flames :thumb:

And then a PBR Logo on the roof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGSN7JVg1yQ&feature=player_embedded

:p

ScottD
08-19-2010, 10:14 AM

PBR? I'm thinking Milwaukee's Best logo, or since we're in Maryland, perhaps National Bohemian.

30 PSI SHADOW
08-21-2010, 08:23 PM
i say blood red with white and blue flames :thumb:

And then a pbr logo on the roof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngsn7jvg1yq&feature=player_embedded

yes sir! Now we talkun culkin!! Put a tap out the back trunk lid!

Pat
08-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Painted the car today. It looks a bit orange in the pictures, but it's really more of a red.

After 14 hours working, I'm freaking beat. Time for a Yeungling.

Vigo
08-22-2010, 12:24 AM
Very interesting. Im glad you didnt pick the same color i want for mine... I still have to beat Bucar to it though!

Cant wait to see it finished!

Aries_Turbo
08-22-2010, 12:33 AM
nice! you did that all with spraycans?

adam, youll probably beat me to it anyway. im busy with other stuff lol.

Brian

Vigo
08-22-2010, 12:53 AM
like building a knock-sensor box thingy? I met a guy today who's waiting on it.. :p

2.216VTurbo
08-22-2010, 01:48 AM
Painted floorpan? I thought you were trying to take wieght OUT of that thing:confused2:? There's really not enough oranage cars on the road IMO, way to follow your own path...

Pat
08-22-2010, 06:16 AM
nice! you did that all with spraycans?

adam, youll probably beat me to it anyway. im busy with other stuff lol.

Brian

No spray cans. the spray can in the picture was my "color test" can that I didn't put away before I started spraying, which is why the can is nice and red too! We had a gallon of Rustoluem Professional in Safety Red. I thinned it and sprayed it through a gun. It's kind of a take of the roll on paint jobs some do, only I sprayed it. Worked out pretty well and cost me close to nothing.

Don't know how long it will last, but it's a Challenge car...doesn't have to last very long.

And Alan, the color is not so much following my own path as it is that's the paint that I was able to scrounge. :p And yes, I had to paint the whole thing...jambs, floor, inside of the roof, trunk, etc. A substantial part of the event is the judged show. It has to look sharp too.

Captain Chaos
08-22-2010, 08:07 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGSN7JVg1yQ&feature=player_embedded

Or Red Stripe! HOORAY BEER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfGkhhm4vXw

92spiritrt
08-22-2010, 08:07 AM
you guys are moving on this thing. i wish i had half the motivation you guys have when i was putting my car together. its looking good. i was definately a huge fan of how it looked in blue with the steelies, but i know that won't get you anywhere in the show portion. keep ripping along, will you have it done for the cecil invasion this year?

Pat
08-22-2010, 10:33 AM
you guys are moving on this thing. i wish i had half the motivation you guys have when i was putting my car together. its looking good. i was definately a huge fan of how it looked in blue with the steelies, but i know that won't get you anywhere in the show portion. keep ripping along, will you have it done for the cecil invasion this year?

The Challenge is the first weekend in October, so it will be done by then. If it's still alive, I'll definitely take it to Cecil.

Pat
08-25-2010, 06:36 AM
More progress last night...we installed the dash, cluster and door panels that Scott worked on. They look great! The black looks awesome against the red. We also got the intercooler cleaned up and installed, and hung the cleaned up grill, did more sanding on the bumper covers (which I still need to paint) and worked on the hood "customization" project.

It's really satisfying to actually be reassembling and seeing it come together as well as it is....for what it is.:)

Reeves
08-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Looking good! :thumb:

92spiritrt
08-25-2010, 10:07 AM
i agree with reeves, looks great. the red is starting to grow on me now that its mixed with the black interior.

omni_840
08-25-2010, 10:35 AM
I definatley like the red/black:nod:

Pat
09-01-2010, 11:43 AM
More progress to report.

-body harness installed
-drivers seat dyed black, installed
-engine harness just about done
-window trim polished and reinstalled
-bumpers painted and installed
-bezels painted and installed
-front brake lines replaced
-made pedestal mounts that bolt into where the hood hinges bolt to mount hood pins (this way I can remove the pins and put the hinges back on later if I want)
-more progress on the hood modifications

Next on the list:
- continue body/wiring reassembly and detailing
- baffle the oil pan
- fabricate rear sway bar

Pics of progress to come tonight.

Reeves
09-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Pics of progress to come tonight.

:confused:

:needpics1:

:D

Pat
09-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Patience, Reeves. Patience. :-)

omni_840
09-01-2010, 08:35 PM
That looks awesome!

What was used to dye the seat, dash, etc?

Pat
09-01-2010, 09:09 PM

That looks awesome!

What was used to dye the seat, dash, etc?

See Scott's post above. He was the interior magician.

Aries_Turbo
09-01-2010, 09:23 PM
that thing is AWESOME! hehehehe.

Brian

BadAssPerformance
09-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Looking good Pat!

But Dude...

We Sooooo gotta get some footage chasing it around with a tanker truck!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25324&d=1283385232

http://www.imcdb.org/images/002/481.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/fyreline/DuelTruck3.png

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/4464/dueltruckfront6yt.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/the-duel-truck-driver/truck.jpg

Maybe not go this far...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/berettax26/741_duelsig.gif

Turbo3Iroc
09-01-2010, 10:13 PM
LOL what flick is that from?

Pat
09-01-2010, 10:24 PM

Duel. Awesome movie.

BadAssPerformance
09-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Duel. Awesome movie.

:nod:

Turbo3Iroc
09-01-2010, 11:17 PM
I'll have to check it out.

ScottD
09-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Looking good Pat!

But Dude...

We Sooooo gotta get some footage chasing it around with a tanker truck!

http://www.imcdb.org/images/002/481.jpg

LOL :lol:

PunKid
09-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Cant wait to see this thing in person

Pat
09-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Baffled the oil pan today. I made windowed baffles on either side of the pick up, welded up small strips on top of the baffles to make it more difficult for oil to roll over the baffle and added a small baffle up front to keep some oil from riding up into the front of the pan during hard braking.

Filled it up with oil and sloshed it around...works like a charm.

GRM budget cost.....zero. (donor hood is already budgeted).

Pat
09-05-2010, 09:41 AM
removed the AC pulley of the crank pulley...reduced rotating mass hanging off the end of the crank by 1.5 lbs. Cost = zero.

BadAssPerformance
09-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Nicely done!

Reeves
09-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Woot! :clap:

Vigo
09-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Wow, that's a bigger weight difference on the crank pulley than i would have thought! I put a non-ac pulley on mine but i never cut an a/c pulley apart to see what the weight difference was.. good info.

Pat
09-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Wow, that's a bigger weight difference on the crank pulley than i would have thought! I put a non-ac pulley on mine but i never cut an a/c pulley apart to see what the weight difference was.. good info.

My scale is probably not perfectly accurate, but it did show 1.5 lbs. I can verify that there is a noticeable difference in weight holding an uncut one on one hand and the cut one in the other hand. It's not an aluminum UD pulley, but it's something!

Finished painting the brackets and accessories and started reassembling the motor today. I'm hoping she'll be driving around the neighborhood next weekend.

Pat
09-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Getting closer....

onerippinturbo2
09-06-2010, 07:20 PM
looks very good pat nicely done.

92spiritrt
09-06-2010, 07:27 PM
looks great as usual. at this rate you'll be racing it by this weekend:D

Pat
09-06-2010, 08:14 PM
looks great as usual. at this rate you'll be racing it by this weekend:D

Thanks Rob, but I'm not so sure about this weekend. We still have lots to do, but we're getting there. I'm hoping to have the motor slung in there and making some noise this weekend.

turbojerk
09-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Looks familiar....:evil:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25402&d=1283814550

BIG PSI
09-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Am I mistaken, but if you compete at the GRM Series and someone OFFERS you the $2,011.00
for it you have to sell it on the spot ???

In that case, I will be making a road trip and I will be bringing cash !!!!!!

Thanks Pat for building my next ride...

Chuck

I :love: it.............

Vigo
09-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Hah! No, unlike certain other cheap car races that are run by the founder and for the founder to include the option of stealing someone's hard work for $0 and paying only for parts.. GRM challenge doesnt require that as far as i know.

bakes
09-08-2010, 12:34 AM
OK i just figured out the paint theme ..... there is going to be 2 red cherries on the roof and in gold leaf on the front doors it going to say MOPAR TOWN and under that FIRE CHIEF and 911 on the trunk lid.

Pat
09-08-2010, 06:08 AM
Am I mistaken, but if you compete at the GRM Series and someone OFFERS you the $2,011.00
for it you have to sell it on the spot ???

In that case, I will be making a road trip and I will be bringing cash !!!!!!

Thanks Pat for building my next ride...

Chuck

I :love: it.............

Sorry Chuck! But like Vigo said, there's no buy out rule there.

There's a discussion about that rule that pops up on the GRM board every now and again, how some feel that's the only way you'll get people to truly stay under the budget amount. However, having a buy out rule is also the best way to stiffle any creativity and completely discourages anyone from putting any real effort towards it. That's why the lemons cars look like --- and the challenge cars all come looking pretty good.

OK i just figured out the paint theme ..... there is going to be 2 red cherries on the roof and in gold leaf on the front doors it going to say MOPAR TOWN and under that FIRE CHIEF and 911 on the trunk lid.

Clever, but that's not it. ;)

SilverFleet
09-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Pat, your car is looking really nice! :eyebrows: :nod: I can't wait to see this thing up close at the Challenge. I need to take some notes, as I really have to get going on re-assembling my CSX and getting it running. It's such a mess under my hood, and yours looks so damn clean. I take it you are going to be doing a lot of wire tucking? That's one thing I hate about my CSX... there's crap everywhere under that hood!

BIG PSI
09-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Damn It and I had the money ready to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

Vigo
09-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Silverfleet, if i could make a list of people you should meet from this forum, id put Pat pretty high.. not just because he can build a fast car, or a car that looks good, but also because he goes 'outside the box' with fab projects from what i saw last year.:clap:

SilverFleet
09-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Silverfleet, if i could make a list of people you should meet from this forum, id put Pat pretty high.. not just because he can build a fast car, or a car that looks good, but also because he goes 'outside the box' with fab projects from what i saw last year.:clap:

I actually met him briefly last year at the hotel, and I'm pretty sure I talked to you too! I'm on Team External Combustion with the red turbo Miata that you were lusting over, LOL! I'm the big guy that's friends with the owner. Are you coming this year? I need to hang out with some Turbo Mopar people!

Pat, come to think of it...I think I had a conversation with you in the hotel after the banquet last year, and you and your friends gave me and my friend some beers. If so, I owe you one. :D

Pat
09-08-2010, 04:08 PM

Awww shucks...that's nice of you to say. Considering the turbo mopar domination of the 40 cheap speed secrets we had, I think you do some outside of the box thinking too.

Then again, being cheap is a prerequisite of being a turbo mopar guy, isn't it? ;)

I actually met him briefly last year at the hotel, and I'm pretty sure I talked to you too! I'm on Team External Combustion with the red turbo Miata that you were lusting over, LOL! I'm the big guy that's friends with the owner. Are you coming this year? I need to hang out with some Turbo Mopar people!

Pat, come to think of it...I think I had a conversation with you in the hotel after the banquet last year, and you and your friends gave me and my friend some beers. If so, I owe you one. :D

Man, you have a good memory! I forgot about that, but yes, we were bs'ing while checking out the results over a few brews. There is just something about that event that makes me thirsty! Ha ha!

Pseudosport was your buddy that owned the car, right?

ScottD
09-08-2010, 04:18 PM

Pat is Jesse James less the reality tv shows and Sandra Bullock, Michelle "Bombshell" McGee and who knows how many others :eyebrows:

SilverFleet
09-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Man, you have a good memory! I forgot about that, but yes, we were bs'ing while checking out the results over a few brews. There is just something about that event that makes me thirsty! Ha ha!

Pseudosport was your buddy that owned the car, right?

Yep, I also think I went on a tangent to someone there who asked me about WRX's, sorry about that! :lol: And about drinking: They have Yuengling down there, and we don't have it up here in MA, so I am obligated to have as much as I can when I'm down there. I owe you one!

Yeah, Pseudosport is the owner of the Miata, and he's my buddy. We will be there again with some improvements to the car, and we will have two more members of the team, one being fellow Turbo Mopar forum member PunKid. As far as our car goes, it's still apart, and it still has last year's stickers all over it. We hurt the motor a little, so we had to take it apart and clean it up a bit. We also destroyed our cheapo Ebay turbo manifold and our turbo, so we had to change our setup. Hopefully, we'll be all set by the time the Challenge begins. In the coming years, I want to bring my CSX down there and do the sub-$1000 class. Since I paid only $100 for it, that should be do-able.

Vigo
09-08-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm pretty sure I talked to you too! I'm on Team External Combustion with the red turbo Miata that you were lusting over, LOL!

Ohhh man i was in love with that car...

Anyhow im not going this year due to scheduling conflicts but hopefully ill be back next year.

SilverFleet
09-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Ohhh man i was in love with that car...

Anyhow im not going this year due to scheduling conflicts but hopefully ill be back next year.

Boo... I probably won't be there next year because I'm getting married around that time. :ballchain:

(BTW, I really like the choice of emoticons on this forum!:thumb:)

Pat
09-12-2010, 07:56 AM
We still have a ton to do, but we made huge progress the last few days. The motor is all assembled, mated to the transmission and in the car. Axles are in, motor is centered, most of the wiring hooked up. Still a bit on the sloppy side, but we're getting there.

I went back to the stock radiator since the T-II rad I ran at SDAC was far from perfect. This means I have to re route one intercooler pipe so I'll have to dig back through the exhaust scraps and weld a few together again. No big deal

We also finished the rear suspension. We fabricated another panhard bar to the correct length to center the lowered rear axle and we made mounts for our ladder rack sourced rear sway bar. Stiffened the crap out of the rear axle and it's adjustable if we find that the car is too tail happy while autocrossing.

I'd like to hear the engine make some noise tomorrow.

blk86trbo
09-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Dang Pat your car really looks nice...initially I was against you changing the color, but SOAB you are really pulling it off! Good job :clap:

ScottD
09-12-2010, 12:37 PM
We still have a ton to do, but we made huge progress the last few days. The motor is all assembled, mated to the transmission and in the car. Axles are in, motor is centered, most of the wiring hooked up. Still a bit on the sloppy side, but we're getting there.

I went back to the stock radiator since the T-II rad I ran at SDAC was far from perfect. This means I have to re route one intercooler pipe so I'll have to dig back through the exhaust scraps and weld a few together again. No big deal

We also finished the rear suspension. We fabricated another panhard bar to the correct length to center the lowered rear axle and we made mounts for our ladder rack sourced rear sway bar. Stiffened the crap out of the rear axle and it's adjustable if we find that the car is too tail happy while autocrossing.

I'd like to hear the engine make some noise tomorrow.

After seeing the engine in there, painting the block black was definitely the way to go.

ShadowFromHell
09-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Any pics of how the rear sway is setup?

omni_840
09-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Pat you are the man!

Pat
09-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Any pics of how the rear sway is setup?

No pictures of the bar set up yet...it's disassembled for paint. Once it's back in there I'll snap a few.

It's similiar in concept to a stock L body rear bar. It ties the two ends of the twist beam together to lessen it's ability to twist. It works. I did just about the same thing on the Shadow last year and it did help it turn quite a bit.

Pat
09-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Dang Pat your car really looks nice...initially I was against you changing the color, but SOAB you are really pulling it off! Good job :clap:

Thanks! Wait till you see it finished....there's more to this theme than I"ve let on so far. I think most will dig it. :eyebrows:

After seeing the engine in there, painting the block black was definitely the way to go.

Yep, no question. I really like it.

Pat you are the man!

Thanks! Lot's of help coming from others on this project though...definitely a team effort.

Pat
09-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Shifter with nitrous (or high boost) trigger switch bracket. Not sure if I'm running spray or not yet, but even if I don't, I'll need something to trigger high/low boost. Fits me perfectly and is easy to operate wth my index finger.

Cost - FMV of a cheapo momentary switch. I think new, they're about $3.00 so I'm probably looking at $1.50 budget hit. Metal came from leftover hand truck scraps.

Reeves
09-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Shifter with nitrous (AND high boost) trigger switch bracket.

Fixed it for you!

Looking great Pat!

:clap:

contraption22
09-13-2010, 11:51 AM
The car looks awesome. It proves how it doesn't take money to make a car look neat and clean. Just alot of work and time.

Vigo
09-13-2010, 01:05 PM
It proves how it doesn't take money to make a car look neat and clean. Just alot of work and time.

That is the absolute truth. Even here on the cheap-people-cheap-car forums i still dont think most people know how far you can really go with $2000 and a lot of skilled labor.

turbojerk
09-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Nice work Pat,.... you 8-valver!

SilverFleet
09-13-2010, 06:00 PM
That is the absolute truth. Even here on the cheap-people-cheap-car forums i still dont think most people know how far you can really go with $2000 and a lot of skilled labor.

+ infinity. Building a car like this and attending the $20xx Challenge has completely changed my perceptions about cars, working on them, and what it takes to go fast.

Pat
09-13-2010, 06:58 PM
It runs! :-)

SilverFleet
09-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Awesome! :clap::clap::clap:

turbovanmanČ
09-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Wow, looks fantastic, :hail:

For some reason, I thought this was going to be a TIII?

turbovanmanČ
09-13-2010, 08:01 PM

I can't believe you've never seen it, its like an icon, :nod:

168glhs1986
09-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Nice work Pat,.... you 8-valver!

8 valves FTW. It's come a long way from this day back in June.

http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/168glhs1986/

Pat
09-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Wow, looks fantastic, :hail:

For some reason, I thought this was going to be a TIII?

Not this one...it was already converted to 8v T-II when I bought it. No time to switch it up.

Slight problem found. It's leaking oil from the passenger side galley plug on the side of the head, somewhat behind the cam gear. We popped it out, cleaned up the hole and will be throwing another plug in there tomorrow with some sealant. Hopefully, that takes care of it.

Reeves
09-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Not this one...it was already converted to 8v T-II when I bought it. No time to switch it up.

Slight problem found. It's leaking oil from the passenger side galley plug on the side of the head, somewhat behind the cam gear. We popped it out, cleaned up the hole and will be throwing another plug in there tomorrow with some sealant. Hopefully, that takes care of it.

Is it the 5/8" plug?
If so, you can tap it 3/8" NPT and put a pipe plug in it. If the new plug don't hold.

Pat
09-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Is it the 5/8" plug?
If so, you can tap it 3/8" NPT and put a pipe plug in it. If the new plug don't hold.

Yep, that's the one. I thought about tapping it, but I'm concerned about cutting threads and having any debris get in there. Maybe some grease on the tap to catch the debris?

Reeves
09-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Yep, that's the one. I thought about tapping it, but I'm concerned about cutting threads and having any debris get in there. Maybe some grease on the tap to catch the debris?

I use a vacuum cleaner with a little hose attached to it to get the big chunks. Then I insert a brake cleaner tube from an aerosol can way back behind where you were cutting and spray and let it run out. Make sure car is jacked up on driver side so the brake cleaner will run towards you on the passenger side.

Aries_Turbo
09-14-2010, 03:17 PM
my k car engine has a pipe plug in both sides.

a q tip or a small pipe brush would get those bits out too.

Brian

Pat
09-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Jammed another plug in it and it seems to be OK. I have a 3/8 NPT plug and tap ready of to go if need be, but I think I'm OK.

Bardo
09-16-2010, 12:29 AM
in 8 pages of post i might have missid it but what did you do for suspension?

Pat
09-16-2010, 06:16 AM
It has used formula gp shocks and strust all around and what I think are a set of MP Autox springs in it. I say I think because I pulled them from a parts car, which sat very low and had a very stiff ride to it. A friend suggested they may be the MP springs from way back. They're definitely not Eibachs.

The sway bar up front is a 1.25 from an '87 Shelby Z that I end linked with Nissan Sentra end links, the rear axle was stiffened considerably with the bar I made (will take pics) and I'll probably use some rubber spacers to block coil travel to increase the spring rate even more.

Vigo
09-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Let me know what kind of rubber spacers you end up finding, i need to do that to several different cars (not all dodges) and i dont really have any good idea where to start looking.

Pat
09-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Let me know what kind of rubber spacers you end up finding, i need to do that to several different cars (not all dodges) and i dont really have any good idea where to start looking.

Believe it or not, Amazon.com sourced several different styles.

Reeves
09-16-2010, 02:04 PM
I use Amazon a lot.
Usually cheapest prices too.

contraption22
09-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Amazon rocks.

Pat
09-16-2010, 04:51 PM
I use Amazon a lot.
Usually cheapest prices too.

Yep, and free shipping on most orders over $25.

I bought more than enough spacers in a few different styles (full spring rubbers, block spacers of different heights, etc) to play with to tune the spring rates a bit more and I think all totalled for everything (which I won't use all of) was $28.

Pat
09-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Getting closer....drove it around the neighborhood a few times today with no IC pipes (had to cut one up and modify it a bit). She's feeling good so far!

2.216VTurbo
09-19-2010, 02:59 AM
Sweet, just think how good it's gonna feel when you put a coupler between the charge pipe and the TB:p It does look nice man:thumb:

Pat
09-19-2010, 04:48 PM
....and closer!

A ton to do, and lots of detailing/cleaning, need to finish the hood, gauges, a couple other body mods, wire up the nitrous, do some plumbing work, clean up the vacuum harness and work a bit on the brakes.

But, it's now a running, driving car. It saw boost for the first time today and I think it liked it. :eyebrows:

Subliminal
09-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Holy snowballing project!

I like it. That body style just screams sex to me.

People say I'm strange, though. ;)

DaveSkrab
09-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Good stuff Pat! GRM is gonna be great! :D

168glhs1986
09-19-2010, 08:44 PM
She's a thing of beauty. Love the wheels but what's up with that seat?

Pat
09-19-2010, 09:22 PM
She's a thing of beauty. Love the wheels but what's up with that seat?

Thanks guys. I'm realy liking it. It's been a fun project.

The seat? It's the Daytona seat that was in the car when i got it..same one that was in it at SDAC, only it's now black. See post #86 to see the rest of the interior.

168glhs1986
09-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys. I'm realy liking it. It's been a fun project.

The seat? It's the Daytona seat that was in the car when i got it..same one that was in it at SDAC, only it's now black. See post #86 to see the rest of the interior.

Interior paint FTW

Aries_Turbo
09-19-2010, 10:35 PM
looks awesome!

you gonna add a bar/bracket to keep the rear bumper cover from sagging? i did this to my winterbeater aries when i removed the rear rotted/smashed bumper completely.

Brian

Vigo
09-20-2010, 01:38 AM
I 2nd fixing the sagging bumper cover. Should be extremely easy.

I also think it would be super easy to fix how the trunklid is sitting. A few twists of those rubber thingies iirc.

I like your 'camber slots'. I can always grind at the spindle to get a crapload of negative camber there but tire to strut clearance becomes an issue.. the slots would help.

I think blacking out the screw heads on the rear door window conversion thingy would help a lot for little effort. Did you just slide a piece of plexi or lexan up into the factory window seal and then screw into it to hold it? Im curious about that for my own aries.. those back windows will never be rolled down again anyway!

Also, i think i remember those wheels from last year.. They look pretty good on the aries!

Pat
09-20-2010, 06:08 AM
looks awesome!

you gonna add a bar/bracket to keep the rear bumper cover from sagging? i did this to my winterbeater aries when i removed the rear rotted/smashed bumper completely.

Brian

Already on the list....like I said, there's still a lot to do. Also need to do the same on the front.

Pat
09-20-2010, 06:12 AM
I 2nd fixing the sagging bumper cover. Should be extremely easy.

I also think it would be super easy to fix how the trunklid is sitting. A few twists of those rubber thingies iirc.

I like your 'camber slots'. I can always grind at the spindle to get a crapload of negative camber there but tire to strut clearance becomes an issue.. the slots would help.

I think blacking out the screw heads on the rear door window conversion thingy would help a lot for little effort. Did you just slide a piece of plexi or lexan up into the factory window seal and then screw into it to hold it? Im curious about that for my own aries.. those back windows will never be rolled down again anyway!

Also, i think i remember those wheels from last year.. They look pretty good on the aries!

Bumper cover, trunk lid - both already on the list.

Screw heads - there's debate there. Some like them silver, some want them black. Once the rest of the car is finished we'll decide.

The window seals on the care were a disaster, so there actually aren't any in the rear anymore. Lexan is slid up, holes drilled and screwed in. With more budget, I'd put some sort of seal in there. Perhaps after the event.

Yep, those wheels are Barry's. I think they've been at every GRM Challenge so far. The wheels are 100%'ers!

ohiorob
09-21-2010, 09:13 AM
looking great :thumb: but I also liked the old blue sleeper look too.

contraption22
09-21-2010, 09:16 AM
The car looks awesome.

Pat
09-25-2010, 08:33 PM
As you can see, Barry had some help working on the brakes today. :)

Car is close to being done. More details, some tuning work and a bit more paint work left.

Can anyone guess the theme yet?

Pat
09-25-2010, 08:40 PM
And before the question is asked, we cut the scoop off of another hood, attached it, and did the body work to make it look nice and pretty. This part of the project was not easy....at all.

A couple of shots of the Dakota hood we cut it off of and while we were cutting up the Aries hood and mocking it up.

Turbo3Iroc
09-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Love it!

168glhs1986
09-25-2010, 09:40 PM

Car is close to being done. More details, some tuning work and a bit more paint work left.

There goes the sleeper status with the hood scoop but I do like it.

Theme: Count Dra-K-car?

Pat
09-25-2010, 10:18 PM
There goes the sleeper status with the hood scoop but I do like it.

Theme: Count Dra-K-car?

Sleepers don't score points at the challenge.

We have two hoods...one with the scoop and one without. Not because of the sleeper thing, but because at the trap speeds I'm hoping to hit, it will probably make a difference.

No on the theme, but that's a good one. Here's another hint.

ScottD
09-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Sleepers don't score points at the challenge.

We have two hoods...one with the scoop and one without. Not because of the sleeper thing, but because at the trap speeds I'm hoping to hit, it will probably make a difference.

No on the theme, but that's a good one. Here's another hint.

Yeah - that turned out GREAT!

Pat
09-25-2010, 10:30 PM
scott...check your email.

Vigo
09-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Ok the hints clearly add up to something in my brain but i dont have a name for it. I dont know whether it's a generic reference to an era or a reference to a specific model.

either way.. looking good.

69viper
09-26-2010, 12:51 AM

It is looking like a 69 1/2 Superbee w/liftoff hood and redline tires. Cool!

2.216VTurbo
09-26-2010, 01:20 AM
I'm loving the grandad/grandson pic working on the car.:thumb: Scoop hood will have to grow on me I guess. I must still be pining for the little-old-lady-giant-killer car. That hood is in your face-kick-arse for sure, nice fab.

BadAssPerformance
09-26-2010, 01:40 AM
Lookin good!

I like both the "Bee" theme, and the "Duel" theme :D

Vigo
09-26-2010, 02:21 AM
It is looking like a 69 1/2 Superbee w/liftoff hood and redline tires.

I recognized the scoop and had a feeling it was a big plymouth from the late 60s but without the name google did me no good..

Cool theme.

Turbo3Iroc
09-26-2010, 02:27 AM
A12 K car FTW!

Pat
09-26-2010, 06:30 AM
It is looking like a 69 1/2 Superbee w/liftoff hood and redline tires. Cool!

Yep, lift off hood Superbee!

Still struggling on the rear stripe though. I've been back and forth between a white stripe, no stripe or a black stripe. I think white may be the way to go. With the black hood, wheels, etc, it will make the car pop quite a bit. Pop is good.

30 PSI SHADOW
09-26-2010, 09:04 AM
i was thinking AAR cuda, but i like it!

ScottD
09-26-2010, 10:08 AM

Still struggling on the rear stripe though. I've been back and forth between a white stripe, no stripe or a black stripe. I think white may be the way to go. With the black hood, wheels, etc, it will make the car pop quite a bit. Pop is good.

Pat - can you post a photo of it with the redlines/steelies on and get someone on here to photoshop a red stripe and a white stripe on and we can see how that looks?

BadAssPerformance
09-26-2010, 11:10 AM
I recognized the scoop and had a feeling it was a big plymouth from the late 60s but without the name google did me no good..

Cool theme.

Psssst, Super Bee's are Dodges ;)

Vigo
09-26-2010, 02:46 PM
by a technicality.. When i see the body style i think road runner, not super bee.. that may be just me. I dont know which was more common. I know road runners could get the same or similar scoop but the the stripe and the fact that this car is an aries instead of a reliant are what make it dodge i guess :p

Either way, it's cool. Ive always wanted to get some 5x100 rallye wheel repros for a k-car, too.. :)

BadAssPerformance
09-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah, they are similar... just bustin' yer balls :thumb: and both cool rides :nod:

Pat
09-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Did some street tuning today for go and some parking lot tuning for turning and stopping. I'm happy. Very happy.

Makes a ton of power, it's turning great and the brakes are sorted out. We're aligning it and adding a few decals, but other than that, it's time to clean it up and get packed.

GRM, here we come!

blk86trbo
09-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Way to go Pat!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABffPdUdRUk&feature=related

Vigo
09-26-2010, 05:57 PM
i love that video. lol

blk86trbo
09-26-2010, 06:03 PM
i love that video. lol

LOL me too, I can sit and watch all those cheesy 80's commercials and stuff all night

Reeves
09-27-2010, 09:05 AM
I never thought a K-car could keep me from rolling away from my desk.....

:love:

2.216VTurbo
09-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Man, if Csaba Csere were alive today to drive the ScAries for a couple laps after flogging that stocker that hard, imagine what he would write about it:eyebrows:

Captain Chaos
09-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Looking good! Actually looks like I may be able to make this one to spectate that is.

Vigo
09-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Man, if Csaba Csere were alive today to drive the ScAries for a couple laps after flogging that stocker that hard, imagine what he would write about it

Wow, in all the times i watched that video i never recognized the guy driving it, even though i know who Csaba Csere is. Although, as far as google can tell me, he is still alive.. :p

SilverFleet
09-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Can't wait to see this beast in person. See ya on Thursday!

pokadot1
09-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Pat
Do you need us to bring anything? Bigger bottle? Bigger jets?
Lee and I should be there Thursday night. 443 309 7353 Is my cell number if you or anybody, need help on the way down south. we are taking 95 to fla and the a1a over like allways.
Cliff and Lee Sebring

Juggy
09-27-2010, 07:19 PM

def go black hemi r/t stripe that wraps around the trunk :hail:

Reeves
09-28-2010, 05:36 PM
def go black hemi r/t stripe that wraps around the trunk :hail:

x2! :thumb:

Maybe call it.....a SEMI HEMI!

Pat
09-28-2010, 11:15 PM
x2! :thumb:

Maybe call it.....a SEMI HEMI!

We almost went black, but decided to go white. Black does look better, but with the huge white number board we have to put on the car and all the sponsor stickers, which are usually white, the effect of the black would have been lost. With the red line tires, the scooped hood with "Four Pack" decals on it and the white stripe, the car looks bad ---. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

Vigo
09-29-2010, 01:48 AM
Cant wait to see it :)

Reeves
09-30-2010, 09:55 AM
.......still waiting......

ScottD
09-30-2010, 09:59 AM
.......still waiting......

He's on the road today, maybe he'll post some pics from the event.

minigts
09-30-2010, 01:42 PM

Did you use vinyl spray for the seat belts? Wow, didn't know you could do that.

ScottD
09-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Did you use vinyl spray for the seat belts? Wow, didn't know you could do that.

Yup, changed the seat belt from light blue to black also.

Pat
10-01-2010, 10:35 PM
One day down....56 cars, came in 8th in the concours judging, 9th in the autocross. Not too bad.

omni_840
10-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Nice:nod:

keep us posted and take lots of pics

168glhs1986
10-02-2010, 12:37 AM
One day down....56 cars, came in 8th in the concours judging, 9th in the autocross. Not too bad.

What a crock of rat turds. There is not way that many cars are in front of you. Bunch of cheaters if you ask me. Get'm in the 1/4!

Vigo
10-02-2010, 12:53 AM
What a crock of rat turds. There is not way that many cars are in front of you.

Lol.

My advice: Go to the challenge sometime and find out. :thumb:

We're rooting for ya, Pat! 11's tomorrow or bust, right?:evil:

2.216VTurbo
10-02-2010, 01:05 AM
8th in concours?:confused2: Damn, there must be some nice cars there:o Do they have a claiming rule where you could purchase competitors cars for $2010.:eyebrows:?

Pat
10-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Lol.

My advice: Go to the challenge sometime and find out. :thumb:

We're rooting for ya, Pat! 11's tomorrow or bust, right?:evil:

I did both. Ran a sting of 11.6's with the best being 11.63. Best MPH was 119.57. Had a valvetrain problem that put me on the trailer around noon. The awards banquet is tonight, so I'll have overall results later. We're not going to win, but we were in it until the end. There were four teams that were in contention all day.

The quality of cars this year was very high. Much higher than the last few years. We did great...we top 10'd in every event, they did a full photoshoot of the car and everyone seemed to love it. We did better in the autox, drags and car show than we ever have, but the competition was very tight. For a car that was a total turd 4 months ago, I'm very proud of how the car turned out and what it was able to do. It was a totally different animal in the autox and the drags than it was at SDAC.

I have a ton of pix and videos that I'll post up in the next few days. Need to drink some beers, bench race with some hard core racers and friends and have a good time tonight and then drive 900 miles home tomorrow.

Pat
10-03-2010, 06:54 AM
Overall results....5th out of 56 entrants. Of course, I always want to win, but I'm happy with a top 5 finish considering the the quality of the other 55 cars entered.

Plus, it was a great time. I'll give a full write up with pics and videos in the next few days. Time to start the drive home from Florida.

BadAssPerformance
10-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Congrats! Awesome work Pat! :clap:

Captain Chaos
10-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Awesome! I was sick as a dog all day Saturday and very disappointed to have missed yet another event. Congrats on a top 5 finish you did the Mopar fans proud for sure!

Turbo3Iroc
10-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Congrats to you guys. :clap: Can't wait to see the pics and vids.

DaveSkrab
10-03-2010, 10:28 PM
What a Blast as usual! What a CRAZY drive down as well! all sorts of interesting events, Nature! Wildlife! Roadside Repairs! The Weather in Florida could not have been better! Great time had by all! Learned that ya really need to step up your game more than you think. Competition is getting STIFF down there!
Pat's Writeup will be more thorough and will be littered with pictures and videos. Enjoy!

Pat
10-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Too tired for a write up, but here are some pictures.

Vigo
10-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Well clearly the reason you needed to do roadside repairs was because you downgraded from a dakota to a ram. DUH!

Also, im really surprised by how much body roll that thing still has.. looks like a bit of air under a front tire there, even!! And to think im impressed when i get a REAR wheel in the air..

Cant wait for the write-up!

BadAssPerformance
10-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Sweet pics! Cant wait for the story!

Pat
10-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Well clearly the reason you needed to do roadside repairs was because you downgraded from a dakota to a ram. DUH!

Also, im really surprised by how much body roll that thing still has.. looks like a bit of air under a front tire there, even!! And to think im impressed when i get a REAR wheel in the air..

Cant wait for the write-up!

Ram's not mine...the joke was that we should have taken my Dakota!

It does still have some roll, but you have to keep in mind how fast that thing was going around corners. That corner was about a 110 degree, hard corner after a long sweeper where it was going at least 70 mph (on my runs, I was into 3rd gear there), then jamming on the brakes and cutting the wheel hard. There was a lot going on there.

Plus, keep in mind the tires and the alignment. I had 2.5 degrees negative camber up front, .7 degrees negative out back and Hoosiers all around. The car was turning very hard. The more tire/grip you have, the faster you go, the more g force being applied, the more spring you need...and budget means I only have so much spring.

Vigo
10-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the info.. it's impossible for me to tell how fast you were going but i had a feeling it was pretty fast..

My car might roll that much too if i bolted enough traction to it. Havent tried any rcomps on it at all.

As for the negative camber out back, did you use shims? I have never tried messing with the rear alignment to this point although i think my Dynasty and Aries could probably use some negative camber in the rear.

Pat
10-04-2010, 12:42 PM
OK, here's the story...we ran the Aries last weekend at the Grassroots Motorsports $2010 Challenge. We had an awesome time and can't wait for next year. It really is a fun event that I wish I saw more TM people come to. It's right in our wheelhouse.

I've helped with builds in the past, but I started doing my own car, with tons of help from the rest of the Mini Me/SDAC-NCC team three years ago. The first year, I brought my Shadow and finished 5th overall. The second year, I brought the Shadow back with a ton of improvements but had a mechanical issue that slowed me quite a bit at the drags, but we still finished 2nd overall. My goal this year was to bring the Aries and better all of my performance numbers and take a crack at a win. Well, we were partially successful. We performed better everywhere...best drag numbers we ever put down at the event, highest autox run and best place in the concours, but we came in 5th overall. There was a ton of really nice builds this year. The bar has definitely been raised.

After having a waterpump failure on I95 in Barry's Ram in Georgia (who doesn't like side of the highway repairs?), we made it down Thursday evening. Friday morning, we hit the track early and did a the full clean up so we could run through the concours. Judging went well. They seemed to like the car, they got a kick out of the Super Bee theme and liked the overall execution. We placed 8th, which for a 4 door K car, I was thrilled about.

We then swapped the tires and headed to the autox with Barry Miles behind the wheel. After his first run, we had adjustments to make. Dave Skrab and I realigned the car in the pits and sent Barry back out, where he immediately went a second faster. After two more runs, he posted a screaming 34.2 second lap. That was good for 9th place. Now, keep in mind, Barry was running a K car, against national champ pro drivers (GRM provides pro drivers to drive the autox...I like the idea that we build as a team, we drive as a team) who are driving full on autox prepped Miatas, Hondas, E30 BMW's, etc...all cars that are miles ahead of what a K based car is capable of. Barry kicked ---.

A few of us then ran some fun runs with it. I ran a few, with a best of 35.6 (which felt blazing to me!), Bill Cuttita and Lee Sebring also ran it. Car handled beautifully and pulled hard on the straights.

Next day was the drag day. Made a morning shakedown, launched easy and didn't shift it to hard, with the 50 hp jets in it and went 11.85 @ 117.95 with a 1.89 ST. Brought it back in, checked it out, plugs looked great, upped to the 75 jets and back out. Lauched hard to a 1.78 and went 11.65 @ 119.57. Back out, it ran 11.63 @ 116 breaking up at the end. I was pretty sure that was an 11.5x pass, but the spark blew out and it broke up, so I let out. The plugs showed to be a bit lean and we had a bit too much timing in it, so we added fuel pressure and took out a degree of timing and went back out. Ran another 11.65 @ 119, then an 11.71 @ 119 but the tune was dead on. Around noon, the car spit a rocker and hung a valve open on the return road. I think that a lifter collapsed, the rocker got ----ed crooked and bent the valve. We called it a day after that. The 11.63 was good for 4th in the drags.

Interesting though when you look at the numbers. More spray, better tuning, pretty mucht he same performance. I only picked up 1 mph on bigger jets. To me, that says there is a cork in there somewhere that's holding the car back. There's more to be had.

In the end, we were in the top 10 in every event, we bettered all of our team GRM numbers, but the competitors just rocked this year. I want to win, but I'm very happy with where we ended up. They also did a full photoshoot of the car. We'll see if any of it gets used, but they took a ton more shots than they did of the Shadow last year.

Now for the thanks....Barry Miles, Scott Drega, Bill Cuttita, Dave Skrab and Trevor Mattern all played key roles in the build. Couldn't have done it without their help. Bill (grim) was also a key player helping out with some parts along the way (Billy is awesome!) which made a huge difference. Cliff and Lee Sebring and Teri Mathias were also huge helps down at the event.
Teri took a ton of videos that I'll get posted in the next few days of the car on the autox as well as the drag runs.

So, next year....who else is in? :eyebrows:

turbojerk
10-04-2010, 12:51 PM
So, next year....who else is in? :eyebrows:

Hmmm,... I'm not going to SDAC next year so maybe I'll try this. We shall see...

Pat
10-04-2010, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=Vigo;720756] Havent tried any rcomps on it at all.

As for the negative camber out back, did you use shims? QUOTE]

Find some used R comps. You will love them!

Yes, used shims. I had bought a whole packet for the Shadow couple years back. We used the leftovers which were still in the toolbox. They're super cheap, but it is a PIA to get it all lined up right and keep the toe straight.

2.216VTurbo
10-04-2010, 01:59 PM
The competitors may have raised the bar but you guys did too Pat, nicely done:clap: FOUR PACK on the hoodscoop, priceless:love:Awesome idea:D No doubt the ScAries is more memorable than 99% of the cars in GRM Challenge:amen:

sdac guy
10-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Good showing guys! :thumb::thumb:

I'm working on an Up Front right now and am need of an article. I will use your write-up and a few of the pics Pat, thanks.

Barry

contraption22
10-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Congrats guys! Awesome showing!!!!!! Can't wait to see vids and articles!

Pat
10-04-2010, 04:27 PM
UPDATE!!!

Just got an email from GRM...there was an error in the scoring! We actually came in 3rd in the drags, 4th overall and won top finishing club (SDAC - NCC)! Woo hoo!

The guy who we thought nudged us out sent us all an email today. He was given a timeslip for 11.57 on his last run, which was way faster than the car had run all day long, but it had his number on it and looked legit. A friend took pictures for him and when he got home, he was looking at the pics and one of them was a picture of his car, running through the traps, on his last run with the timing boards visible clear as day....12.85! He then sent GRM an email about it and followed up with an email to me, explaining. Per Shroeder with GRM just confirmed it for me.

Nice! :-)

contraption22
10-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Now that is sportsmanship!

Congrats!

UPDATE!!!

Just got an email from GRM...there was an error in the scoring! We actually came in 3rd in the drags, 4th overall and won top finishing club (SDAC - NCC)! Woo hoo!

The guy who we thought nudged us out sent us all an email today. He was given a timeslip for 11.57 on his last run, which was way faster than the car had run all day long, but it had his number on it and looked legit. A friend took pictures for him and when he got home, he was looking at the pics and one of them was a picture of his car, running through the traps, on his last run with the timing boards visible clear as day....12.85! He then sent GRM an email about it and followed up with an email to me, explaining. Per Shroeder with GRM just confirmed it for me.

Vigo
10-04-2010, 06:49 PM
GRM provides pro drivers to drive the autox...I like the idea that we build as a team, we drive as a team

I agree with that.. when i was there last year, the pro driver took most of my runs to get only about the same as i got on my 1st run at Autox. On the 1/4, one guy did manage to beat my best by a tenth but another guy broke the car literally at the same time i was rolling slicks across the parking lot to bolt on it (which might have gained me 10 spots in the drags, realistically). So even though a lot of people had fun driving my car around, as far as the standings went i would have been a lot better off if it was only me driving..

Very cool that the other guy voluntarily made the correction that got you that extra spot..

I think i would like to go next year if they dont hold it on the same weekend again. The date is the only reason i didnt go this year. :(

cordes
10-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Congrats Pat! And talk about sportsmanship. Wow!

92spiritrt
10-04-2010, 07:34 PM
congrats pat along with everyone else involved. its amazing what can be accomplished in such a short time and still come up with such great results. i can't wait to see this thing in person, you better bring it to cecil.

"Top Fuel" Bender
10-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Great showing Pat
You make it look too easy

Pat
10-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys.

Rob - I would like to bring it to Cecil, but I have to admit, I'm pretty burnt out right now and do not feel like tearing it apart to fix it. Yet. :-)

Vigo
10-04-2010, 10:31 PM
My car only had a broken shift cable but i think it sat for a month before i even fixed that!!

Totally understand!

BadAssPerformance
10-04-2010, 11:24 PM
UPDATE!!!

Wow. Awesome!

ScottD
10-05-2010, 08:12 AM
I'm pretty burnt out right now and do not feel like tearing it apart to fix it. Yet. :-)

He says that right now but by next week he'll probably have pulled the head off it :eyebrows:

turbojerk
10-05-2010, 08:14 AM
He's got to have it ready for 75/80 (http://www.75-80dragway.com/files/2010_MOPAR2.pdf)this Saturday! Hurry up Pat!

Pat
10-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Not my video, but just found one. She looks nice and smooth going down the track. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkQ5OpzbJYU

Pat
10-05-2010, 10:42 PM
A ton of videos...most of the ScAries, but we did get a few others also.

First pass - easy shakedown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBEdvwsU9HQ

Best MPH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h2gU5sPhPA

Best ET...probabably would have been better. She broke up towards the end of the run. :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRux6jN7ens

Barry tearing up the auto x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxt3yucnDdk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mH7X7FgSl4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeUjTDM8fY4

Here are a few others...the red Miata and the white Jeep are Team External Combustion. One of the guys is on this board (SilverFleet) and is also a CSX owner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEiyoCXdcfM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzbM5BX1wOo

This E30 done by Condor Speed shop was my favorite car there. Looked amazing, ran a 12.38 at the drags and was blazing on the autox. This run was the only one I had. Wait till the end...it's a fun one! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUJ9zx-aQK8

And a little V8 old school love...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeV7H1secFE

Lastly one of the three fun runs I ran at the end of the day. Autocrossing is a freaking blast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1HoU5l3pJ0

Shadowv4l
10-06-2010, 12:43 AM
that car has gotta be fun on a backroad :D

PunKid
10-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Yea I'm also on Team External Combustion.

The Miata placed 7th overall and the Jeep 15th. I had wished we had finished the turbo install on the jeep before the autocross. bone stock 4.0L it ran a 34.8.

I also got one video of your car. Kinda crappy quality from my phone.

Just the jeep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZncpG3j5zc

The Jeep followed by the miata

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3l1se_yJlk

And your ScAries

still waiting for link

Vigo
10-06-2010, 07:37 PM
So how did you guys feel about the autox course? It kinda looked like a 'power' course vs technical.

Also, is the jeep an auto? kinda sounds like it in the autox vid.

ShadowFromHell
10-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Got a link to a build thread/site for the jeep?

Pat
10-06-2010, 08:31 PM
So how did you guys feel about the autox course? It kinda looked like a 'power' course vs technical.

Also, is the jeep an auto? kinda sounds like it in the autox vid.

By technical, do you mean slow? ;)

Kidding aside, it was a fun course...very fast with a few tight turns, a few tight spots and a really long sweeper with a hard kink in the middle of it. I don't think it was any less technical than a slow, tight course. It was larger, but you were going a hell of a lot faster when you had to hit your marks and it put much more of an emphasis on having good brakes. I liked it.

Tizz102
10-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Had alot of fun!!! Nice vids!! ;)

Pat
10-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Had alot of fun!!! Nice vids!! ;)

Nice camera work!