PDA

View Full Version : Pat's GRM ScAries!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

cordes
10-10-2011, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the info Pat. Thanks also for representing us in such spectacular fashion. You should be very proud.

sdac guy
10-10-2011, 06:52 AM
+1

Great job guys!

Barry

Steve in VA
10-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Pat
Congradulations to you and everyone that helped from SDAC DC. Fine job!!!!

contraption22
10-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Awesome results, Pat! We're all proud of you!

Rattlesnake
10-10-2011, 09:36 AM
That was ex F1, F2, CAN-AM and Indy car driver Bobby Rahal at the wheel of that K-car!

vipernbox
10-10-2011, 09:37 AM
That was ex F1, F2, CAN-AM and Indy car driver Bobby Rahal at the wheel of that K-car!

Awesome... Congrats guys... I really look forward to seeing and sharing your feature...

R/T
10-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Pat does us proud again!!!

Rattlesnake
10-10-2011, 10:37 AM
That looks like an Argentinian TC2000 racer!! Good job Pat!!:clap::thumb::clap2::cool::rockon::peace:

Pat
10-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks everyone...after re-reading what I wrote last night, that's pretty much the whole story. What I did leave out is the many people who played a part in this build...Barry Miles, Scott Drega, Bill Cuttitta and Dave Skrab. No way this car would be nearly as cool if they hadn't helped out, especially Barry who really spent way more time in my garage than I ever could have expected. We also have had lots of help from board members who either helped source parts, had parts or gave advice such as Craig St. Pierre and Billy Grimm, who both hooked us up with some key pieces we needed to really pull the package together. Thanks to all of you guys. Also need to give props to Teri Mathias, who brought her computer and printer down there with us, made some awesome shirts and Special K cereal labels for our bribe, took tons of pictures and was a huge help while we were down there.

And of course, thanks to my wife Amy, who really understood how important this was to me and supported me the whole way. She won't admit it to anyone in public, but she also spent some time out in the garage helping here and there.

Here a few of the pictures Teri took. I'll post more as I get through them, but these are shots from during the event...getting the car cleaned up, the concours judging, the autocross, getting ready for the drags and during our photoshoot.

Working on videos later today.

Warren Stramer
10-10-2011, 12:18 PM
:number1:Wow, You guys look like a factory fielded team, Very professional!!

roachjuice
10-10-2011, 12:41 PM
very nice!!! needs more pictures!!!!! awesome job pat!

89FerrariShelby
10-10-2011, 01:21 PM
This car is so freaking cool!!!

BadAssPerformance
10-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Congrats Pat and Team SDAC! :clap: :hail:

I do think you kinda got robbed, but yeah, thats racing!

Pat, PLEASE e-mail me some high res for the calandars ;)

Pat
10-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Just found a video of the one drag run...so much potential. :-(

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Racing-Events/2011-GRM-Challenge/19404689_M4HZSP#1519001644_dJrTntF-A-LB

RoadWarrior222
10-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Pat, PLEASE e-mail me some high res for the calendars ;)

Hell yeah!

Reeves
10-10-2011, 06:10 PM
+1

Great job guys!

Barry

What he said... +2 !!!!

Directconnection
10-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Is that you, Pat... grinnin' in the pic behind the wheel? :)

Pat
10-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Is that you, Pat... grinnin' in the pic behind the wheel? :)

Ha! No, that's actually Scott Lear, one of the GRM editors. He asked if he could take an easy lap in the car for some data points to write about in the article they want to do. As you can see from the picture, I think he liked it. LOL!

One more thing, in my list of people who helped out, I forgot to mention two that I really should...Crazy Mark Skelton and Curtis Hill both helped out with key pieces for the car. Sorry I left you guys out initially!

Autox videos to come.

ScottD
10-10-2011, 07:14 PM
The pics don't really do the car justice, you have to see it in person, it looks soooooooooooo good with the wing and the stance it has.

Pat - we never put the pizzas and drag slicks on koseis on the car at your house but it didn't look bad with those wheels on it at all going down the strip. Too bad you didn't get to make more drag runs :mad:

moparman76_69
10-10-2011, 08:05 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34470&d=1318262286

Best pic evar!!!!!!!

Pat
10-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Autocross vids!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1btMM9qWPeE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZYTB88WyA0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCzSaR3BBeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jksabzyBUi8

Pat
10-10-2011, 08:59 PM
How can I get the link to just appear as a video in the thread?

WLKivett
10-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Just wow

Aries_Turbo
10-10-2011, 09:15 PM
How can I get the link to just appear as a video in the thread?

instead of just posting the links into the thread, you need to click the icon above the text entry box that looks like a little piece of film and then post the links via the pop up box.

i fixed it for you.

Brian

RoadWarrior222
10-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Which 90% of the time doesn't work, so you might wanna know there's a (video)url here(/video) tag that works with the square brackets same as the others.

Reaper1
10-11-2011, 01:35 AM
Pat, congrats again! It was a blast to see you guys! Believe me, there were a LOT of fellow competitors that were rooting for you all. I can't wait to root you all on again and see what kind of crazy thing you bring next year!

On a side note, the team I was associated with (Mickler Motorsports) didn't come in last, even with a non-running car thanks to a pretty decent concourse score! Next year our Fiesta will turn some heads when that Chrysler 2.5 tall deck comes to life!

blk86trbo
10-11-2011, 03:03 AM
Ha! No, that's actually Scott Lear, one of the GRM editors. He asked if he could take an easy lap in the car for some data points to write about in the article they want to do. As you can see from the picture, I think he liked it. LOL!

Ha Ha I had a big smile on my face too, just from imagining how much fun that was! Way to go guys, just an overall great job! :clap:

Shadow
10-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Pat, first off Congrates! Secondly, Too bad they decided to go the way they did on scoring the point :(

I thought that there was a budget that you had to stay within when I was first reading your project log?

Pat
10-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Pat, first off Congrates! Secondly, Too bad they decided to go the way they did on scoring the point :(

I thought that there was a budget that you had to stay within when I was first reading your project log?

Thanks...yes, there is definitely a budget. Total expense can be no more than $2011, which includes purchase price of the car, parts and/or parts cars. You can sell off parts not used to recoup up to a total of $1005.50. Some safety item allowances are given, such as the roll bar and stock replacement brake parts. Most of the stuff on the car is fabricated from other things, such as ladder racks, a hand truck, a driveshaft, an aluminum truck door, a filing cabinet, metal scraps, etc. My big budget hit items were wheels, tires and proper brake pads where I spent more than 35% of my total allowed budget.

omni_840
10-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks...yes, there is definitely a budget. Total expense can be no more than $2011, which includes purchase price of the car, parts and/or parts cars. You can sell off parts not used to recoup up to a total of $1005.50. Some safety item allowances are given, such as the roll bar and stock replacement brake parts. Most of the stuff on the car is fabricated from other things, such as ladder racks, a hand truck, a driveshaft, an aluminum truck door, a filing cabinet, metal scraps, etc. My big budget hit items were wheels, tires and proper brake pads where I spent more than 35% of my total allowed budget.

I was wondering the same thing. Also how does it work when you bring the car you had last year? (budget)

Pat
10-11-2011, 01:04 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Also how does it work when you bring the car you had last year? (budget)

Works the same, you just have to add or subtract from budget as necessary.

Other piec that people ask about is parts that you already own or are given to you....any parts that go on the car that you already owned have to have a documented fair market value applied.

This car was built way on the cheap, but with a ridiculous amount of time put into it.

Shadow
10-11-2011, 01:29 PM
I was thinking more of the Bug and the look of a couple other cars. Can a Bug go 10.5's on 2000.00? We have one local to us and in order to make anywhere near the power I'm making in the Charger I'm pretty sure it has forged Everything!

ForzaV12
10-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Great job! 6th position? nope, a top two entrant for sure!

Pat
10-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I was thinking more of the Bug and the look of a couple other cars. Can a Bug go 10.5's on 2000.00? We have one local to us and in order to make anywhere near the power I'm making in the Charger I'm pretty sure it has forged Everything!

It has a small block chevy in it. :-) Awesome car.

Every year I've been, there are cars that I question. This year included but there's not much I can do about it. This year there was a fair amount of bitching about how the drags worked out and how so many cars had rules infractions that were not caught, so I expect there will be some changes next year.

We'll see I guess, but it's likely not going to impact me one way or another. I'm probably taking a break from this next year. Time is way too tough to come by these days and honestly, I'm a bit burned out. I'd like to have some fun with the cars that I've put together and not worry about saving them for this event. I expect by this time next year, the ScAries will have it's fair share of cone marks on it and lots of rubber coating the front fenderwells. That will be the sign of a fun year

Reaper1
10-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Pat, I'd like to get with you about the budgeting thing as the team I'm on will be going again next year, but we are still kind of unsure about how to work the budget. We want to play by the rules for sure, but we want to play by the accepted rules that everyone else is playing by, if that makes any sense.

RoadWarrior222
10-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Do a "Smokey Yunick" ... "Sure that piece comes on the car stock, hey look, there just happens to be one in the spectator parking, let's go over and have a look..." (The one in the parking lot was a plant :D )

turbovanmanČ
10-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Great Job, awesome, :hail:

Yep, remove weight, add turbo, slicks, hello 10's. ;)

Vigo
10-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Can a Bug go 10.5's on 2000.00?

Can a 1500lb car run 10s with a small block chevy on the cheap? That seems pretty obvious to me.. :p

Maybe next year will be the year that TWO entrants get into the 10s. The Nelsons have done it enough that it's kind of just taking away from everyone else more than bringing anything new. :/

Reaper1
10-11-2011, 11:58 PM
The "No Siesta Fiesta" is going to aim for the 10's. I know it can be done, but it'll be interesting to see if we can do it within budget.

RoadWarrior222
10-12-2011, 12:23 AM
A 1" hole saw is $5.... last I heard you didn't have to count your electricity bill....

Pat
11-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Ran the ScAries at Cecil yesterday...here's the full rundown:

1st pass: snapped an axle in the trans. It's pretty nice work if you ask me...I"ll snap a picture of it later. Barry and I swapped in a spare and back out I went

2nd pass: Just wanted to drive the car down the track and make sure the used axle I threw in there was OK. Launched extremely easy, then hit the gas. 19 psi, creeping to 21, shifting easy watching the gauges. Went 12.5 @ 115.8, no spray. All looked well.

3rd pass: Same tune I had set up for GRM, with the exception of a tighter plug gap to hopefully take care of the break up issues I had down there. Went a bit too easy on the launch to where it actually started to bog a bit more than I would have liked, but still managed a 1.72. I was a bit disappointed here because I knew from 20 ft into the run that the track could have taken more. Anyway, the car went:

ST: 1.723
330: 4.76
1/8: time didn't register
1000: 9.215
1/4: 11.010
MPH: 125.12

The car felt great! This was also the same tune I ran in June when it went 11.4's when I was testing the intercooler and found significant pressure drops. Since then, I installed a 3 core cooler and did the divorced downpipe, to get away from the stock swingvalve/downpipe assembly. The difference in how the car felt was amazing. Mid range and top end were huge compared to in the past. It felt downright voilent on shifts. I feel like I'm now really starting to see the benefits of the head work, the intake, the IC and the downpipe. Even though this is on spray, this is still on the Thunderbird turbo, which is a 60 trim T3 that was put into a chrysler .63 housing. It's slightly smaller than a Super 60. :-)

4th pass: After the 11.01, I could taste a 10.9x. I knew that there was more at the line that would likely put me into the 10's, but I started to have some doubts about how much the driveline would take. Other than me, there were quite a few cars that were breaking at the line. The other option was to launch the same and up the boost or nitrous a bit. I debated, but in the end, put a bit more jet into it. I jetted to about 90 hp and went slightly rich on the fuel and took some timing out. At the line, I launched slightly harder and hooked hard again to a 1.66 ST...once again, I think the track would have taken more. The run was absolutely awesome until I missed 3rd gear. At that point, I knew the run was shot but really wanted to watch the gauges and make sure all was well. I put it back into 3rd and let it go. EGT's were around 1500-1550, A/F was 11.2-11.3, boost was 25 psi. Everything looked good. Went to 4th, all readings looked the same. Then, before the 1000 foot mark, I was greeted with a massive spray of coolant from between the nose and the hood and let out, rolling through the traps at 11.35 @ 116.9. Lost the headgasket in #4 at the front of the block. I can actually see the piece missing.

At that point, I decided to call it a day. There was a bunch of TM guys offering to do a quick swap, but I am a bit concerned about other damage in there (this thing is still a non common block, cast cranked, T-II rod/cast piston motor) and would rather get a good look at everything before slamming it back together. I'm a bit worried about that piston. Hopefully the head gasket fuse worked and saved the shortblock.

So close...but next year is right around the corner.

Shadow
11-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Awesome! So that's basically a 60 trim like the MP + units? What exactly did you do to the exhaust S/V downpipe?

Force Fed Mopar
11-13-2011, 12:14 PM
What head gasket was it?

Pat
11-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Awesome! So that's basically a 60 trim like the MP + units? What exactly did you do to the exhaust S/V downpipe?

I'm not sure...don't know what the MP turbo was. The Thunderbird/SVO turbo is a T3 with a 60 trim compressor, which if I remember correctly, has a slightly smaller inducer than the Super 60 compressor. Turbine side is a standard stage 1 wheel in a .63 housing.

The SV set up is detailed/pictured in post number 387. Check it out.

What head gasket was it?

MP 005

Shadow
11-13-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure...don't know what the MP turbo was. The Thunderbird/SVO turbo is a T3 with a 60 trim compressor, which if I remember correctly, has a slightly smaller inducer than the Super 60 compressor. Turbine side is a standard stage 1 wheel in a .63 housing.

The SV set up is detailed/pictured in post number 387. Check it out.

Yep, same compressor as MP+, very close to S60.

Your H/G blow-out sounds a lot like mine, #4 but I blew it right out above the trans. Hopefully it's the same deal for you, just clean it up and another H/G and your golden. :)

turbovanmanČ
11-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Shitty deal about the head gasket but awesome on the 11.0, :hail:

I agree on venting the gate outside of the exhaust, I thought it felt better on the top end too, but then, my patented butt meter has been known to lie, ;)

Pat
11-28-2011, 11:59 PM
MP 005

Correction! It was a felpro. I thought it was an MP, but apparently not.

Dave and I pulled the head tonight and as suspected, the headgasket was blown pretty well. Cyl 1 was the worst, then 2, then 3. I thought 4 was bad, but it actually looked OK. All pistons look OK as does the head, although I need to straight edge the deck to be sure.

After looking everything over, it really does look like it was not a tune issue but just a gasket failure. At that power level, if there was any detonation or if it were lean, I would have seen evidence of it on the cast Mahles, and they look fine. I usually retorque the head, but after loosening those studs tonight, I'm having second thoughts that I did it. They did not seem to require the same torque to loosen them as they usually do. That also could be a contributing factor.

Odd thing though...it looks like some of the cooling passages in the gasket were blocked up by the graphite like material the gasket was made from. I suspect that the graphite squeezed into the smaller passages when the head was torqued down. I can't imagine that heped. I had another used felpro from Dave's car hanging on the pegboard for some unknown reason. When we looked at that, it showed the same evidence of passages blocked up.

88C/S
11-29-2011, 02:20 AM
Like the way you did your downpipe with a separate wategate pipe. may do that to mine, when I have the funds.

Force Fed Mopar
11-29-2011, 03:23 AM
Correction! It was a felpro. I thought it was an MP, but apparently not.

Doh! lol

Aries_Turbo
11-29-2011, 10:09 AM
im impressed that the fel pro took that much beating. :)

maybe with a retorque it may have lasted into the 10's.

as for the graphite, could you slice away a little bit before installing the gasket?

what gasket is going back on the car?

brian

RoadWarrior222
11-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Some headgaskets have "revisions" based on latest data from manufacturers, that are supposed to balance coolant and oil flow... hence you might have had holes that overlapped the stock holes a bit, then after it's been clamped it looks like it "squidged" out, when it was intended to be that size in the first place....

Pat
11-29-2011, 10:54 AM
im impressed that the fel pro took that much beating. :)

maybe with a retorque it may have lasted into the 10's.

as for the graphite, could you slice away a little bit before installing the gasket?

what gasket is going back on the car?

brian

this confirmed for me that for 99% of what is out there, the fel pro is just fine. Bunch of rev limiter slamming autox runs, and mutlipe 11 second passes with a best of 11.01. On what could have been less clamping force than it should have had. The "my felpro failed on my bone stock T1" stories don't hold much water with me at this point.

Would it have held a 10? Probably. If I had not touched a thing from the 11.01 pass and just 60ft'd it to the 10, it likely would have done it. But....hindsight is 20/20!

I'll likely put an MP back on...since I have two of them on the shelf. :-)

Some headgaskets have "revisions" based on latest data from manufacturers, that are supposed to balance coolant and oil flow... hence you might have had holes that overlapped the stock holes a bit, then after it's been clamped it looks like it "squidged" out, when it was intended to be that size in the first place....

Doubt it. The cross drills were blocked completely.

Reaper1
11-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Is that the Fel-Pro that has the full metal backing, or the all-foil one? I wonder how well the metal backed one would do as it seems to be a better built, and more stout gasket?

Pat
11-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Is that the Fel-Pro that has the full metal backing, or the all-foil one? I wonder how well the metal backed one would do as it seems to be a better built, and more stout gasket?

Metal backed.

Vigo
11-30-2011, 01:02 AM
this confirmed for me that for 99% of what is out there, the fel pro is just fine. Bunch of rev limiter slamming autox runs, and mutlipe 11 second passes with a best of 11.01. On what could have been less clamping force than it should have had. The "my felpro failed on my bone stock T1" stories don't hold much water with me at this point.

:nod::clap:

Im GLAD it was a felpro just because it says something about them. If it had been MP it wouldnt have been anything educational. And the best part is, you didnt hurt the motor. :thumb:

turbo2point2
11-30-2011, 07:19 AM
The metal backed Fel-pro's are a nice gasket IMO. Dan Carsons 10 second Omni has run that gasket for a few years, also while using bolts not studs. Glad to see it will be an easy fix Pat :thumb:

Shadow
12-03-2011, 01:59 PM
I usually retorque the head, but after loosening those studs tonight, I'm having second thoughts that I did it. They did not seem to require the same torque to loosen them as they usually do. That also could be a contributing factor.

I can only imagine that your right in thinking you didn't retorque, as I have Never seen the firing rings black between All the cyl's like that before?

Pat
12-03-2011, 04:27 PM
I can only imagine that your right in thinking you didn't retorque, as I have Never seen the firing rings black between All the cyl's like that before?

Me neither....

Force Fed Mopar
12-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Unless the deck or head isn't flat anymore.

Tizz102
12-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Ok Sorry, Long Past due but better late then never!! ;)

http://youtu.be/PCHXAfGQLwg

http://youtu.be/36rd7yeODYM

http://youtu.be/COzj6Y_1k1Q

And some quick photo's if you would like...

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee384/Tizz102/Picture007.jpg

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee384/Tizz102/Picture005.jpg

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee384/Tizz102/Picture002.jpg[/IMG]

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee384/Tizz102/Picture003.jpg

Enjoy! :thumb:

Reaper1
12-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Nice to see it make more than that single pass due to weather down in Gainsville. :thumb:

What's up with the sound, though?

Force Fed Mopar
12-07-2011, 02:41 PM
That thing really needs wider wheels man :thumb:

168glhs1986
12-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Ha I was thinking the same thing, like BSX

Aries_Turbo
12-07-2011, 10:57 PM
it needs another set of the autox steelies with slicks on them... or at least a different offset to push them out to the corners, even if they arent as wide as the autox ones.

:) love the car. :)

brian

moparman76_69
12-08-2011, 08:25 AM

You guys apparently haven't seen the car in autox setup. Pat has wide wheels with autox slicks on them.

rx2mazda
12-08-2011, 09:51 AM
it needs another set of the autox steelies with slicks on them... or at least a different offset to push them out to the corners, even if they arent as wide as the autox ones.

brian

You guys apparently haven't seen the car in autox setup. Pat has wide wheels with autox slicks on them.

I think they have! ^^^^^^^^^

ScottD
12-08-2011, 10:04 AM

brian

The car looks much better with the auto-x wheels. We knew it would look a little funny at the drags, but there wasn't room in the budget for more wheels to make it look nice for a couple drag passes. The car was also set up with auto-x in mind because in past GRM events, that was the area that we needed to make up ground.

RoadWarrior222
12-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Although I read once, that the speed trial guys had determined that if your wheels were 3" or more back from the arches, the drag reduction was almost as good as spats or closed wheel wells. So maybe actually helps on the top end of the strip.

Pat
12-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Cool! Thanks for the vids Teri!

Nice to see it make more than that single pass due to weather down in Gainsville. :thumb:

What's up with the sound, though?

Not sure what you mean...sounds normal to me. You might be referring to Rob's Spirit R/T, which definitely has a different sound.

brian

You guys remember, this is a $2000 build, right? :D

Kidding aside, I'm not buying new wheels that will only work on this car to drag race it. This thing is primarily an autocross car that just happens to drag race well. Long term, I'm sure I'll drag race it, but I'll just bolt on the wheels/slicks that I have already to run it.

Now, that being said, yes, it looks a TON better with the autox wheels/tires filling the flares and I definitely recognize it's a bit goofy with the slicks and rears tucked way in. I just don't need two pairs of slicks lying around when I really only get out to drag race a few times a year.

Although I read once, that the speed trial guys had determined that if your wheels were 3" or more back from the arches, the drag reduction was almost as good as spats or closed wheel wells. So maybe actually helps on the top end of the strip.

Uh, I mean, yes, that's what I was going for....aero assistance at the big end. I knew that. It was all part of the build plan. :thumb:

moparman76_69
12-10-2011, 10:03 PM
I think they have! ^^^^^^^^^

Notice I didn't quote Brian when I said that. I assumed he had by reading his post but the other guys that posted before him may not have.

Reaper1
12-11-2011, 05:25 PM
I was more talking about the sound quality. The car certainly sounds great...when I can hear it! LOL ;)

Pat
11-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Just adding a few links to finish up the ScAries story...

$2012 Challenge win!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?68205-ScAries-wins-2012-Grassroots-Motorsports-Challenge!&highlight=Grm+challenge

Getting into the 10's!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?68818-ScAries-dips-into-the-10-s!&highlight=S+aries+dips+into

Love this car. :-)

168glhs1986
11-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Your such a bragger! Oh yea, you forgot the 2012 Spirit of Shelby award. Cars pretty good i guess, :lol:

Pat
11-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Your such a bragger!

Just a proud Poppa! :love:

168glhs1986
11-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Just a proud Poppa! :love:

I was kidding of course. Im always going to regret that i didnt take it down the 1/4 mike @ Milan at SDAC.

Pat
01-17-2013, 07:24 PM
April issue of Grassroots Motorsports...make sure everyone picks up a copy when they hit the stands. Looks like ScAries will have some ink!

168glhs1986
01-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Plastered on the cover I suspect! Tell them you need 200 copies and hand then out at sdac in Indy.

Pat
01-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Plastered on the cover I suspect! Tell them you need 200 copies and hand then out at sdac in Indy.

I was hoping for the cover, but am pretty close to positive that's not going to happen.

contraption22
01-17-2013, 09:28 PM
That's awesome, Pat! Well deserved.

Reaper1
01-18-2013, 12:37 AM
Congrats, Pat! Now that I have my subscription back, that issue will be kept safe and I'll get the team to sign it! :D

Reeves
01-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Awesome PAT!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like someone I know.........with their calendars.

wheming
01-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Nice work Pat! Congrats! :thumbup:

omni_840
01-18-2013, 10:43 PM
^^^Agreed! You are definatley helping put TM's on the map:)

Pat
02-15-2013, 08:20 AM
April, 2013 Grassroots Motorsports! Cool stuff. Lots of SDAC mentions as well as a plug for turbo-mopar.com.

Great job to everyone involved in this build!

turbojerk
02-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Effin AWESOME Pat!

contraption22
02-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Major ink! Nice job!!!

168glhs1986
02-15-2013, 10:08 AM
This is so cool! Way to go Pat and team. Simply Awesome.

roachjuice
02-15-2013, 10:24 AM
I assume the issue comes out in late march?

RoadWarrior222
02-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Great, just great, now every kiddie will want to build a Scaries clone. Man the barricades!!!! :D

Pat
02-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Thanks everyone!

Issue is out now. Mine arrived at the house yesterday.

turboshad
02-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Every award and accomplishment was earned and deserved without question. :hail: Absolutely excellent Pat!! :clap:

Shadow
02-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Very Nice, and Well deserved! :thumb:

Tbird232ci
02-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Can I have your autograph?!

RoadWarrior222
02-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Can I be your agent and sell autographed GRMs for $80 and rake 20% off the top?

moparman76_69
02-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Sucks you didn't get the cover, I thought all GRM winners were on the cover of the issue with the event in it. I plan on going to spectate this year, and build a car for 2014 or 2015.

cordes
02-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Congrats on the write up Pat. You definitely deserve it.

Reaper1
02-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Congrats again, Pat! I hope to someday be able to meet back up with you guys and I'll try to get the team to sign my copy! Now I gotta go watch the mailbox!

Pat
02-16-2013, 07:38 AM
Sucks you didn't get the cover, I thought all GRM winners were on the cover of the issue with the event in it. I plan on going to spectate this year, and build a car for 2014 or 2015.

While I would have loved the cover (was really hoping for it!), I am happy the car got a few pages in the magazine itself.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

wheming
02-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Nice work, Pat and team!
Truly an enjoyable read.

Can't wait to see the car in person.

lengel
02-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Awesome Pat! What are the plans for the car now? Are you planning on using this car for anymore GRM?

Pat
02-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Awesome Pat! What are the plans for the car now? Are you planning on using this car for anymore GRM?

I dont think that car is going to GRM again. I have already started to de-challenge it a bit by finishing an exhaust, installing Koni's and upgrading the trans. I think I am just going to play with it, continue to drag/autox it and enjoy it. I want to do other projects, which in reality means I should try to sell it, but I doubt I could bring myself to do it. I get attached too easily!

Pat
06-22-2013, 12:10 PM
More ink for the ScAries!

Vigo
06-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Hah, nice!!

c2xejk
06-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Very cool!

Aries_Turbo
06-22-2013, 11:05 PM
snip..... which in reality means I should try to sell it, snip....

ill give you 100$ for it. lol.

last thing i need is another k car project.

i cant even get the one i have on the road in a reasonable time. im close but not close enough.

Brian

Pat
01-18-2014, 01:51 PM
Well, the ScAries is moving on. I would love to keep it, but I don't have the room to keep them all and I really enjoy the build process. Once they are done, especially if I hit my goals for the build, I tend to want to start something new. The last time I drove the ScAries was when it squeaked the 10.96 in 2012 which was the last goal I had for it.

The good news is that it's staying in the family. My brother Dan is taking it and has plans for a hot 16v motor he's been building to go in it. In theory, the car will have about 100 hp more with Dan than it ever had in its time in my garage. I expect it to be a beast in the next year or so.

So, while it was a blast of a project the last 4 years, I am happy to know it will get some attention again soon. Maybe he'll even let me drive it again. :-)

cordes
01-18-2014, 02:09 PM
So it's time for another project log then? Or are you going to continue on with the comp. car?

168glhs1986
01-18-2014, 02:28 PM
This car probably did more for SDAC than any other car in the last 5 years. Can anyone think of another car that gave SDAC as much press ?

Thanks for the press Pat. Your a terrific ambassador for the club.

BadAssPerformance
01-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Cool that Dan is picking it up, the new motor should unleash another level of animal!

This car probably did more for SDAC than any other car in the last 5 years. Can anyone think of another car that gave SDAC as much press ?

Thanks for the press Pat. Your a terrific ambassador for the club.

I agree! Thank you for your efforts Pat! and the SDAC National Capital Chapter too! :clap:

Pat
01-18-2014, 02:52 PM
So it's time for another project log then? Or are you going to continue on with the comp. car?

Comp car stays pure street car. I like driving it with comfy seats, quiet exhaust and hopefully with soon to be working AC. I will play with it some, but I do not see myself caging it or anything like that. She will be around for a bit, as will the flamed '88 Shadow.

I do have another project started...no log yet though. Soon. :-)