PDA

View Full Version : No money Lots of time to think about a turbo manifold

shackwrrr
08-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Ive been sitting around thinking of what to do for a turbo manifold that I can build myself. I dont exactly have time for a box full of elbows and sitting down with a tig welder and a bandsaw. I am looking at making a "better log". Iam thinking of something that is close to an unequal length header and can built with weld-els in a home shop. I want to direct the flow towards the turbo and separate the runners somewhat.

I am thinking something like this
http://straightlinespecialties.com/shop/images/DSC00754.jpg

or this
http://www.inlinepro.com/s1/images/PRODUCT/medium/92.jpg

Remember DIY With weld-els, home shop, and no mandrel bends (read: CHEAP)
I know equal length is better but you cant always have the best I am just looking for something a little better than whats out there

turbovanmanČ
08-02-2010, 03:36 AM
Love the first manifold, no room for the 2nd one.

You can build anything you want, you have the time, so get on it, :eyebrows:

davedude
08-02-2010, 06:57 AM
the first one looks sharp :clap:

shackwrrr
08-02-2010, 12:11 PM
The second one is basically a TBI header. But I dont want to deal with welding the cast, and I want to run a external WG. I think I might sketch up the first one with the turbo flange on #4 cyl

shadow88
08-02-2010, 12:22 PM
What's the big deal about welding cast iron? If you want cheap, it won't get much cheaper than tbi header if you have the time. The time consuming part is the swingvalve.

shackwrrr
08-02-2010, 01:10 PM
What's the big deal about welding cast iron? If you want cheap, it won't get much cheaper than tbi header if you have the time. The time consuming part is the swingvalve.

I just dont want to do it. Plus I want to fab my own rather than having a chunk of welded cast iron with a another chunk of cast Iron hanging on the end of it.

I am going external WG as well along with 3 in mandrel right off the turbine.

BadAssPerformance
08-02-2010, 01:20 PM
The second one is basically a TBI header. But I dont want to deal with welding the cast, and I want to run a external WG. I think I might sketch up the first one with the turbo flange on #4 cyl

The TBI header has equal length runners and neither one pictured in post #1 does. If you can make the one in Picture #1, an equal length header is not too much more difficult.

shackwrrr
08-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Im just not looking for equal length at the moment. I am looking for easy with weld-els

OmniLuvr
08-02-2010, 06:04 PM
id be worrying about turbo placement, what vehicle is it going on? id be trying to move the turbo closer to the drivers side. i do kinda like the first one, but id angle the two outside runners down a little more, so you can get more of a turndown on the inside runners?

shackwrrr
08-02-2010, 06:27 PM
I just found that one, I am going to sketch up one that places the turbo right at the #4 runner

OmniLuvr
08-02-2010, 09:13 PM
i didnt catch that in post #4...

PB Pod
08-03-2010, 03:48 PM
What if you had all the room in the world for a header? I am building one of these and I would like to get the turbo out from under the intake.

http://picasaweb.google.com/CMelMiller/DodgeTurboX?authkey=Gv1sRgCMuN2fGhlfaqIw&pli=1&gsessionid=8GGVDR7yfaaCT7SmWvFwkw#5501272016985073 074

rbryant
08-03-2010, 04:26 PM
What if you had all the room in the world for a header? I am building one of these and I would like to get the turbo out from under the intake.

http://picasaweb.google.com/CMelMiller/DodgeTurboX?authkey=Gv1sRgCMuN2fGhlfaqIw&pli=1&gsessionid=8GGVDR7yfaaCT7SmWvFwkw#5501272016985073 074

If I had all the room in the world I would go with a 16V engine and that would get the turbo out from under the intake. ;)

PB Pod
08-04-2010, 11:43 AM
I am with you on the 16 valve preference. I would go with an SRT-4 motor in a New York minute. Unfortunately, I already have my motor. I have had it for almost five years, just never had the money or time to install it. I am about to start.

I have a 2.2 Turbo II and A-555 with 5,000 miles on it. So it is just broken in. I also have a complete NEW Super 60 kit with everything but the wiring harness. I know, I know..... everybody hates the S-60 kit, but once again, that is what is sitting in my garage.

I will run my cam until it goes flat and I will run the computer and little intercooler until I can afford something else. The factory ported head is pretty cool. I have a one piece intake and the van TB.

I am not worried about making more power for now because my car will weigh a little more then 1800 lbs. So if I shoot for 300 hp it gives me Super Car power to weight.

My biggest problem is the same as the person who started the thread; no money.

fishcleaner
08-04-2010, 01:41 PM
cheap and easy? forget about it, it would have been done a long time ago. The header I did was fairly simple but still took time, you can do it out of mild steel and save alot of money.

some reason I can't copy the pictures but if you go to
www.crazy4carz.com at the top hit the gallery link you can see my omni and scroll thru to the header pics.

If anybody was to make a header for our cars to sell, it would have to be around $700 so you should be able to do it for 1/3 of that.

1984rampage
08-04-2010, 03:01 PM
PB Bod

At the very least get a 2-piece intake like the super 60 kit was designed for :)

shackwrrr
08-04-2010, 03:11 PM
I have a 2 piece sitting in my room right now waiting on a ported head to bolt it to and then I would have somewhere to fab my turbo

PB Pod
08-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Fish Cleaner,

Loved the pictures! You did some really cool stuff. I like the reinforced strut towers. I think I am going to try to make my own headers and, rampage, make my own intake.

I will probably install the motor and get it running with everything in stock configuration.

I like how you used the base of the one piece intake as your starting point for the unit you fabbed. There is nothing on the intake exhaust and intake side of my motor. I cut it all out. I will reinforce between the strut towers after I do the engine so I can have those bars go around anything I make.

There is no reason the TB can't face to the back. So all I would need is a log manifold on the old base with the TB in the middle. It would be a straight shot from the turbo.

I can make the headers equal length relatively straight. I can have the turbo sit as much as two feet back.

1984rampage
08-04-2010, 03:22 PM
I have a 2 piece sitting in my room right now waiting on a ported head to bolt it to and then I would have somewhere to fab my turbo

I know, I got you and PB Bod confused since he was talking about his Super 60 setup lol

PB Pod
08-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Oh, I forgot to say, your shifter and cable set up blew me away. That is some tasty work! Obviously, that is going to be one of my challenges working out the shifting issues. Thankfully the 555 is a cable shifted tranny.

Where do you get the header flange?

fishcleaner
08-04-2010, 04:51 PM
header flange is from FWD Performance in Texas, I had to work them a bit for 1-5/8" tubing. I'm pretty sure Forward Motion has them in 1/2" stainless but could be pricey.

Vigo
08-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the pics fishcleaner, ive been collecting pics of peoples modded stock intake manifolds for a while. Helps to see what others have come up with!

OmniLuvr
08-10-2010, 09:04 PM
thats a two piece intake a too...

Vigo
08-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Yeh, but when you're doing that much fabrication already i dont think using the 1pc bottom is much different than the 2pc bottom. Other than that nobody ever misses one less 1pc :p

OmniLuvr
08-10-2010, 09:28 PM
no, there is a BIG difference, have you seen the pics of the 1 piece i cut up? i cut it a 1/4" from the injector bungs, there is a pretty big pinch point there, plus the ports are rectangle all the way down, i dont want to get to far off topic or id post pics here...

...but i did enjoy fishcleaner's "other albums" ;)

Vigo
08-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Pm me pics? I know there are differences but when you're cutting and grinding and adding metal and welding it kinda seems like you could fix the 1pc problems in that whole process without really doing ALL that much more work. I dont want to threadjack either so ill leave it there.