PDA

View Full Version : 86 Lancer project log

Juggy
07-31-2010, 11:41 PM
just picked up an 86 Lancer ES 2day :eyebrows:

the car is in very decent shapy body wise. just needs some interior work, along with a motor/trans....heres a few shots of what I am starting off with here...

its going to get swapped to 5 spd, and most likely end up being a semi modded 2.5 L with the usual bolt ons. I guess alot of parts are interchangable between the lancer and daytona, so im hoping to pick up some sort of parts car to find most of the stuff i need, like a set of entusiasts seats, drivetrain, gas tank, shelby suspension....yada yada...

will post pics as I progress but I doubt much will get accomplished in the next few weeks since I dont have much to work with at the moment. I guess I will start porting a head/intake/exhaust manny for the time being :evil:

let me know what you think! ive always been a fan of theses cars so im quite happy I was able to find one locally in such good shape

2.216VTurbo
07-31-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm in! I love the Shelby Lancers, had a couple of them. Actually I still have a bunch of parts. Couple steering wheels:eyebrows:

inplansight
08-01-2010, 02:14 AM
Nice start , G to H body parts almost all will fit. But I have NO love for the wheels , Keep looking.

And please keep us updated.

Good luck Paul B

raccoon
08-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Z24 wheels ewwww!

car looks alright.

turbokid
08-01-2010, 02:43 PM
I kinda like the wheels... maybe thats just me. Are you gonna keep the back seats or are you gonna go with Daytona back buckets aswell? Looks like a solid platform for a great project

JohnnyIroc
08-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Sweet looking project!

I kinda like the wheels... maybe thats just me. Are you gonna keep the back seats or are you gonna go with Daytona back buckets aswell? Looks like a solid platform for a great project

:confused2: That works

bakes
08-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Great now i have to compete with you as well for the fastest H body.;)
Looks like a great project:thumb:

Juggy
08-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Great now i have to compete with you as well for the fastest H body.;)
Looks like a great project:thumb:

LOL judging by your status id have to swap my L body drivetrain into the H body :eyebrows:

but you dont have to worry ;)

just lookin for a nice DD car to roll around in since my cloud car took a crap on me.....altho this could be a perfect time to make use of that 2.4 DOHC head in my garage :evil:

but thats pretty much out of the question unless I happen to wait around to save up some $$$ and grab a pre built 2.5 dohc hybrid :eyebrows:

the rims are just temporary. they have pretty much brand new winter tires on them....id like to find another set of SRT rims or some PT's in da chrome!

and Alan, id def be interested in one of them steering wheels :thumb:

bakes
08-01-2010, 04:22 PM
I like the idea of a 2.5 hybrid auto that would be seat and i only one i know of.
Mike Mills is the fast h body i know of and thats were i got my cross hairs on for the moment:eyebrows: but that can always change.
For my LS the car is over wheight due to the moblie sound chamber installed.

turbokid
08-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Sweet looking project!

:confused2: That works

Not as a bolt in. Would need a little fab work. Aint too hard.

Juggy
08-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Not as a bolt in. Would need a little fab work. Aint too hard.

more info on this!!

Juggy
08-01-2010, 05:35 PM
I like the idea of a 2.5 hybrid auto that would be seat and i only one i know of.
Mike Mills is the fast h body i know of and thats were i got my cross hairs on for the moment:eyebrows: but that can always change.
For my LS the car is over wheight due to the moblie sound chamber installed.

oh nice ya i love his car....not sure what it ran...thought it was high or mid 12?

Vigo
08-01-2010, 07:38 PM
I think those wheels look surprisingly good on there.

Juggy
08-11-2010, 12:43 PM
now taking opinions on drivetrain setup!!

lets here what u got 2 think...shes quite heavy so im aiming towards the 2.5 after seeing a recent dyno plot with butch's setup.....i can also find an auto trans with MP shift kit and 3K stall tq converter....altho I do have a small spline 3.50 with a centerforce clutch/pp that would work nice :)

car is currently setup for auto...its pretty much a base version, power nothing....so i have a feeling i could keep this car under 2800 pounds with a 5spd :nod:

edit: also thining of resale value...not towards a stock value but more towards a TM member!!! lol....pretty sure the 5 spd would sell faster??? 4 dr family car with some european styling and ballls!!

Vigo
08-11-2010, 02:17 PM
I think the 5spd would sell faster but thats just an opinion, and if i was buying someone else's 5spd swap id sure like if they made the area around the shifter look good, like having some kind of trim bezel and shifter boot, not just a hole in an auto console with a shifter coming out of it. hehe.

Juggy
08-11-2010, 03:03 PM
I think the 5spd would sell faster but thats just an opinion, and if i was buying someone else's 5spd swap id sure like if they made the area around the shifter look good, like having some kind of trim bezel and shifter boot, not just a hole in an auto console with a shifter coming out of it. hehe.

yes, i got a 5 spd lancer shelby on the line, that is rusted out...still need 2 get back in touch with the owner...it has everything i need to make this pre 87 e test car a nice clone!!!

leather n all :cool:

maybe i should call 2night....lol..if not i was thinking of a daytona entusiasts swap! personally would like a 2.2 G head car but the 2.5 is much easier to find around here....

edig : PS the 5 spd is also much more fun!!! lol....the auto is cheap but i have a few manuals kickin around here, so why spend $$$ right?

Vigo
08-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Yeh the auto is cheap but its also always an unknown quantity for the buyer.. i.e. what internals does it have, what kind of shape is it in, how much power can it take, etc..

As a buyer, all you can do is take the PO's word on it and check the fluid on the dipstick and drive it.. but you still never know whether it's gonna ---- the bed in 3 weeks. Autos do just randomly break. I broke a shaft in a 670 just rolling out hard from a stop in a stock 3.0 van. Everything else was fine!

With the manual what you see is pretty much what you get. If its got fluid in it and it drives right, 90% chance its completely fine! They're way more reliable, more fun to drive, and get like 30% better mpg!

Juggy
08-11-2010, 04:04 PM
k im convinced. since its here and saves me an additional $100 lol!! should be faster too, at the level i plan to build it at....

turbokid
08-11-2010, 06:04 PM
5 speed all the way.
Auto can get so.... boring... atleast in almost stock form.

Juggy
08-15-2010, 03:30 AM
well after trying to head out friday night unsuccessfully to go and get some parts, they should be on their way here 2morrow morning :)

ill get some pics of the goodies after they are in my possession! even something nice for the 87 SC...looks like there may be some parts swapping going on in the near future ;)

Juggy
08-15-2010, 01:42 PM
most of the parts came in 2day :thumb:
going to start porting an exhaust manifold and swirl head this week. the head will recieve some backcut swirl valves courtesy of simon, along with a set of comp springs i purchased from him a few years ago.

ill get some pics of the port work/car progress as I move along. I should have the motor wednesday, at which time I can give it a power wash and add some fresh paint, then think about which trans will go in(A555 or A523)

the external gate is for the 87 SC :eyebrows:

Juggy
08-31-2010, 05:20 PM
man cant believe how many projects r going on in here!!! put back on the 3rd page in 2 weeks....

anyway a little update:

-got of my lazy arssss and finally got some things ready. all brackets/pulleys/mounts/oil pan/accessories for the lower end have been cleaned and painted. The block was also cleaned and painted "titanium silver blue" to match the color of the car

-eliminated balance shafts on the 2.5 motor I will be using. pluged the hole with an M8 x 1.25 thread and some red lock-tite

-powerwashed A523 small spline trans. have a centerforce clutch/pp to mount on the stock flywheel. still need to find shifter assembly/cables

plan to start some port work on the head soon, along with some intake/exhaust mannies.

Juggy
09-23-2010, 10:48 AM
no real progress in the last few weeks...just bumping this up for a friend to check the car out, so he doesnt have go to digging through trying to find the thread....

also debating on whether or not 2 keep the car auto...as the initial plans for the 523 trans were to make a hybrid

Juggy
11-14-2010, 06:17 AM
after some chit/chat I found out how easily it is to convert the lancer into smec electronics, and I have everything I need here. so the T1 log harness is coming out and will be replaced with 89 SMEC. the engine bay will get the power wash treatment. I'd like to paint under there but it looks good already (still stock...not much shine :() and it is too late in the season to attempt any painting outdoors....

picking up an auto trans 2morrow for the car. it will ease the installation process and save me money since the car is already setup for auto.

its a semi built trans. minivan torque converter, MP shift kit, and i also believe it is manual valve bodied.

going to get it back home and give it a nice powerwash, possibly some paint. then I can mate it to the 2.5L I have here, then attach all brackets/accessories for the lower end.

will borrow a hoist during the week and have a friend help me drop it in....bout time I did same dang work on this thing!!! considering ive had it 3 months now...

Vigo
11-15-2010, 02:23 AM
Bah, you're nowhere near setting a record at 3 months.. im just now working on an 85 new yorker ive had sitting around for 4 years and im sure im not setting any records either.

Keep us updated, this thing will be cool..:D

Juggy
11-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Bah, you're nowhere near setting a record at 3 months.. im just now working on an 85 new yorker ive had sitting around for 4 years and im sure im not setting any records either.

Keep us updated, this thing will be cool..:D

lol...tell me about it. I got the wiring harness out, just need to power wash and paint the engine bay. after pulling the harness and getting a second look at things ive decided to give the engine bay a quick stripping/cleanup, and some fresh paint.

still no trans here yet....lol. this weekend is going to be nice again, so Im hoping to get things cleaned/painted at the minimum. if im lucky i will be able to get the bottom end in.

Vigo
11-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Yeh its amazing how engine bays usually look worse after you take everything out of them. Ive still havent worked myself up to painting an engine bay, though. Seems like a lot of prep work.

Juggy
11-28-2010, 06:55 PM
well lower end is pretty much complete. just missing 1 flex plate bolts. hoping i can just use washers on a flywheel bolt and that it clears the tq convertor!!

if so i can bolt up the bottom end 2 the transmission that was just powerwashed earlier 2day...

gonna get 2 cleaning the engine bay 2morrow as well. its suppose to be 7 degrees in the afternoon and I can deal with those temps....

Juggy
12-14-2010, 08:47 AM
well not that anyone else cares, besides vigo :p

the engine bay has been completely cleaned, somewhat stripped. I got it all primed and painted yesterday. had a hard time trying to match the color that the car was repainted. the engine bay is a little darker and more blue in color, then the car itself...oh well. it still looks helluva lot nicer!

ive also had the complete lowered end assembled w/trans, and ready to drop in. the only thing i am missing to drop the stuff in, is the auto trans bracket! which should be here later this week, as one was shipped to me yesterday :)

i have also picked apart a daytona in the meantime. I got more things the car was short on, like the fuel lines, gas door cable, power steering box complete w/lines (previous owner chopped the one off the lancer...doh!!)

im still short on a couple things, like cat back exhaust, gas tank, fuel pump, and if I want to use a swirl head, i will need to get one, because i accidently blew a hole through the one i was porting for the car....lol

will get some pics later!

Vigo
12-14-2010, 10:29 PM
You called? :p

Sure enough, i am interested and read every update.

Juggy
12-16-2010, 02:05 PM
You called? :p

Sure enough, i am interested and read every update.

well she needs another can of paint. 2 was not enuff to get the engine bay finished, as I can still see spots of yellow primer (now greenish lol) trying to come through.

Ill get some better pics after...but heres a few for now, and u can see what im talkin about lol

theres only 1 spot where there was some real rust under there, which was may be a hole 1/2" at the battery tray, but i ended up working it way bigger....ah well, you wont even see it once the tray is back in :thumb:

I also got the fuel door release cable installed...what a PITA to try and get it back through the hole....

planning to make some more progress on it this weekend. waiting on the auto trans mount, hope it shows up 2morrow! then i can drop in the shortblock/trans

edit: ok wtf. i didnt add my attachments....lets try this again...ok wow. had to clean out my attachments!!!

ummm ya did that now its not workin....will try to get some pics up later

Vigo
12-16-2010, 02:13 PM
I dont see no pics!

Juggy
12-16-2010, 02:22 PM
ok tried again....nothing?!

DSC03480.JPG:
Exceeds your quota by 8.75 MB. Click here to view your attachments
DSC03484.JPG:
Exceeds your quota by 8.76 MB. Click here to view your attachments
DSC03485.JPG:
Exceeds your quota by 8.75 MB. Click here to view your attachments
DSC03474.JPG:
Exceeds your quota by 8.77 MB. Click here to view your attachments
DSC03475.JPG:
Exceeds your quota by 8.73 MB. Click here to view your attachments
DSC03476.JPG:
Exceeds your quota by 8.73 MB. Click here to view your attachments

Sum of all attachments owned by Juggy: 8.51 MB

Vigo
12-16-2010, 02:46 PM
The quota be exceeded..:confused2:

shelbymonster
12-16-2010, 09:10 PM
when are you gonna finish the lancer ? ah yeah ... you need a trans mount lol

Juggy
12-17-2010, 11:12 AM
when are you gonna finish the lancer ? ah yeah ... you need a trans mount lol

yeah hope she shows 2day....damn snow holding it up :(

lets try to load some pics again...

did a test fitting of the "CS" seats, I need to mod the inside tracks as the L body seat isnt quite wide enuff. they look much nicer then the dry rotted seats in the car. just need to figure out something for the rear seat!!! i think i may actually have the center section that is cracked up, all re upholstered and get all the door panel carpeting done as well to match.

and also may need to swap that steering wheel :eyebrows:

Vigo
12-17-2010, 02:15 PM
interesting color, i like it.

Juggy
05-31-2011, 08:07 PM
will have to get some new pics up.

shortblock trans currently in. just waiting on top end install. pulled the headliner out. installed SMEC wiring, just need to solder a main connector for the starter sub harness back on. installed a shelby 1.25" sway bar up front, and also a shelby rear axle with the solid sway bar along with 89 solid rear disk brakes.

picked up a 87 shelby Z for parts, and ill be taking the gas tank, rear brakes (89 non vented), springs, rear shocks, and possibly the front struts/knuckle/brakes if it has the bigger stuff as well (brakes/drivetrain was from a 89 T1 GTC lebaron....)

going to pull the top end and use that for the lancer, then stash the bottom end/trans in the garage and figure out what to do with it if everything in the lancer is up to par.....

I also picked up a complete set of GFX from craig for free (thanks craig!) and they will be painted semi gloss/satin black, and the car will soon be rolling on 16" white pumpers.....