PDA

View Full Version : MP Scan or MP Tuner on Android?

ShelGame
07-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Morris - Do you have any idea what it would take to port MP Scan (and maybe MP Tuner) to Android? I think MP Scan primarily, since it would have to use BlueTooth to get the data. I don't see BT flashing turning out so well.

If you couldn't tell, I just got a new Android phone. It looks like Android has been ported to Netbooks, too. Not to mention those really cheap tablets from China.

EDIT: Hmm, Android apps are written in in Java. Not sure how easy that is to port over to from C...

Reeves
07-29-2010, 04:06 PM
I think Warren CSXTRA just got one as well. He got the X I believe. My GF just got the Incredible.

ShelGame
07-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Don't you think wireless datalogging via BlueTooth would be sweet?

DodgeZ
07-29-2010, 04:10 PM
droid....... ---- yeah

mcsvt
07-29-2010, 04:16 PM
I have an Incredible too, Android yes please.

Reeves
07-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Warren CSXTRA has been datalogging over bluetooth for a quite a while now. Not yet on a Droid though.

I do know he has the development software for the Droid already though.

ShelGame
07-29-2010, 04:29 PM
If he needs any help figuring out the DRB protocols, let me know :thumb:

Reeves
07-29-2010, 04:36 PM
If he needs any help figuring out the DRB protocols, let me know :thumb:

Think he's got all that....not sure...he should chime in here....

I know he's got the Innovate protocols and the Zietronix protocols :thumb::thumb:

86Shelby
07-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Don't you think wireless datalogging via BlueTooth would be sweet?

Yes please. One of these will be my next phone come spring when my contract is up.

turbovanmanČ
07-29-2010, 06:38 PM
That would be cool, iPhone needs the app too, :thumb:

csxtra
07-29-2010, 07:11 PM
That would be cool, iPhone needs the app too, :thumb:

Is that the one with the WiFis? It would have to be the one with the bigger GBs. :D

Seriously, I just ordered my Droid X this morning, so I'm not sure how soon I'll get it.

Unfortunately, I'm not exploring logging directly on my Droid, just porting my existing palm pilot display app (that talks to my PC-based logging app via bluetooth) to the android platform to get my feet wet with Android development.

Darkapollo
07-29-2010, 08:37 PM
I have the ASDK on my computer. The Android OS is run off of a linux kernel and the language is java-like. It seems very easy to program.

http://developer.android.com/index.html

wowzer
08-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Morris - Do you have any idea what it would take to port MP Scan (and maybe MP Tuner) to Android? I think MP Scan primarily, since it would have to use BlueTooth to get the data. I don't see BT flashing turning out so well.

If you couldn't tell, I just got a new Android phone. It looks like Android has been ported to Netbooks, too. Not to mention those really cheap tablets from China.

EDIT: Hmm, Android apps are written in in Java. Not sure how easy that is to port over to from C...

rob - i have used a converter from tangible software solutions a couple years ago that worked pretty well. i see they have a converter to take c++ and vb.net to java. i'm getting a droid x phone next week so i am somewhat interested in this. the to-do list is getting way too long!!!

ShelGame
08-05-2010, 01:07 PM
I think an Android BlueTooth logging ap would be really sweet.

I'm going to get a BT board and see if I can get MP Scan to work over BT. Do you see any reason it wouldn't work? I think the BT should just show up as a com port...

ShelGame
08-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Drool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPho6ubtcDA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx8felsUMgU

http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/

turbovanmanČ
08-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Trouble is, that's for OBD2, :(

What about a PDA, can you do MP tuner on a PDA if it has bluetooth, Axim X51V?

risen
08-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Trouble is, that's for OBD2, :(

Even though it won't directly work the vids show that the functionality is there. I can help out with the code if you guys decide you want to go forward with this. I have an iPhone, but the dev kits for both platforms have simulators iirc, so I can still write and verify code for android.

Although I thought that the iPhone loggers needed wifi comms, not Bluetooth/serial, though I doubt that limit exists on android.

ShelGame
08-06-2010, 06:01 PM
I was mainly posting those as an example of what can be done. The Android phones have a similar UI...

turbovanmanČ
08-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Even though it won't directly work the vids show that the functionality is there. I can help out with the code if you guys decide you want to go forward with this. I have an iPhone, but the dev kits for both platforms have simulators iirc, so I can still write and verify code for android.

Although I thought that the iPhone loggers needed wifi comms, not Bluetooth/serial, though I doubt that limit exists on android.

So say can that Rev be done for our applications, that would be friggin sweet, :hail:

I was mainly posting those as an example of what can be done. The Android phones have a similar UI...

Yeah, I know, just sucks its for OBD2, guess that's because of the way the serial data and info is collected vs OBD1.

ShelGame
08-06-2010, 08:48 PM
OBD2 is standardized at least somewhat. OBD1 was all proprietary.

I had mini dash looking very similar before I realized that the Palm platform didn't have the power for those kind of graphics...

ShelGame
08-06-2010, 08:48 PM
OBD2 is standardized at least somewhat. OBD1 was all proprietary.

I had mini dash looking very similar before I realized that the Palm platform didn't have the power for those kind of graphics...

zin
08-06-2010, 09:44 PM
I gotta say a wireless, hand-held programmer would make it very difficult for me to resist replacing my flip phone!:evil:

Mike

ShelGame
08-08-2010, 08:54 AM
I'm DL'ing the Android SDK now. I'm going to see what it would take to port MiniDash over to Android.

Anyone have a good reference for learning Java?

risen
08-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm DL'ing the Android SDK now. I'm going to see what it would take to port MiniDash over to Android.

Anyone have a good reference for learning Java?

I have an old dietel and dietel java book that I used for one of my college classes. I can try and dig it up if you want it.

wowzer
08-27-2010, 01:26 PM
has anybody tried rooting the droid x yet? if so what OS version was it running? those video clips rob posted are amazing.

ShelGame
08-27-2010, 01:52 PM
You have a Droid now, too? I got an HTC Aria a few weeks ago. AT&T locked it out of sideloading, but I'm sure someone will hack around that eventually.

I DL'd the SDK and IDE for Android, but haven't had time to really play with it yet...

MiniMopar
08-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Apps are in Java but many have native parts too. You need the NDK for that. Some hardware supports USB host mode, opening the door for USB-to-serial conversion. There are endless options, but many narrow the scope of what hardware the software will support. The company I work for pretty much just makes Android phones now.

ShelGame
08-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Apps are in Java but many have native parts too. You need the NDK for that. Some hardware supports USB host mode, opening the door for USB-to-serial conversion. There are endless options, but many narrow the scope of what hardware the software will support. The company I work for pretty much just makes Android phones now.

Sweet! An insider!

So, some phones actually support USB host-mode? I thought for sure they were all slave-mode only. I had planned to use BT communications primarily. If the phone supports USB Host, then I suppose we could even consider flashing the ECU form the phone...

wowzer
08-27-2010, 03:15 PM
... I suppose we could even consider flashing the ECU form the phone...

WOW - that would be amazing!!

zin
08-27-2010, 03:46 PM
If the phone supports USB Host, then I suppose we could even consider flashing the ECU form the phone...

This keeps getting sweeter and sweeter!! You guys are definitely going to make me buy a new phone!:nod:

Now, if you could adapt a wireless transceiver, attach it to the SBEC and then flash wirelessly.... That would be damn near the ultimate!

Car develops a hick-up, log it, fix it, all from the driver's seat or wherever!

Mike

ShelGame
08-27-2010, 03:55 PM
This keeps getting sweeter and sweeter!! You guys are definitely going to make me buy a new phone!:nod:

Now, if you could adapt a wireless transceiver, attach it to the SBEC and then flash wirelessly.... That would be damn near the ultimate!

Car develops a hick-up, log it, fix it, all from the driver's seat or wherever!

Mike

I don't see why wireless flashing wouldn't actually be easier. The only catch is, the SMEC would still need wires added to the 60-way, and you will need a 'box' on the SCI connector to control everything. I'm actually working on such a box. It's my next electronics project after the flashable computers are up and running...

MiniMopar
08-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Sweet! An insider!

So, some phones actually support USB host-mode? I thought for sure they were all slave-mode only. I had planned to use BT communications primarily. If the phone supports USB Host, then I suppose we could even consider flashing the ECU form the phone...

The vast majority support USB On-The-Go (OTG), which allow some limited USB host support. It is not often used, but will be more and more (expect to see some interesting applications). How functional the drivers are will depend on the specific platform and how well it was tested. Look for things like USB printing support.

wowzer
08-28-2010, 12:31 AM
so for you electrical wizards -

anybody know of a ttl to bluetooth converter that could invert the signals as needed to work with the smec diagnostic port? or would there need to be an intermediate adapter board to first invert the signals before running into the bluetooth thingamajig? or don't you need to invert the signals?

how about the ostrich? at one time there was discussion that the bluetooth ran down the ostrich battery? could the bluetooth for the ostrich be powered independently?

minigts
08-28-2010, 12:38 AM
I have a droid x and an interface to hook up the phone to a computer would be awesome. Screw the iPhone.

ShelGame
08-28-2010, 03:08 AM
so for you electrical wizards -

anybody know of a ttl to bluetooth converter that could invert the signals as needed to work with the smec diagnostic port? or would there need to be an intermediate adapter board to first invert the signals before running into the bluetooth thingamajig? or don't you need to invert the signals?

As soon as this comes back in stock, I'm going to get one to play with...

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9913

ShelGame
08-28-2010, 03:10 AM
I have a droid x and an interface to hook up the phone to a computer would be awesome. Screw the iPhone.

I think the limitations Apple places on apps would make it near impossible. The only way to distribute iPhone apps is thru the store. At least on Android, you can sideload apps. You don't HAVE to go thru the marketplace...

Reeves
08-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Screw the iPhone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

NWS - Language

Darkapollo
08-30-2010, 12:12 PM
^awesome.

minigts
08-30-2010, 12:25 PM
^awesome.

Sadly that's what it boils down to. Sorry, I'll take a device that I actually have some control over. iTunes my as$, what a crock.

minigts
01-08-2011, 06:48 PM
What the hell folks?! I'm gone for months and nothing doing about a MP Tuner on Android?! :D I got my phone rooted so I'm ready to go!

wowzer
01-11-2011, 04:40 PM
minigts - what routine did u use to root? what os version are u running?

Reeves
01-11-2011, 04:43 PM
minigts - what routine did u use to root?

I know what routine I like to use to root!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

wowzer
01-11-2011, 04:45 PM
has anybody located a serial to bluetooth unit that handles the 7812, 62500, and 125000 baud rates?

ShelGame
01-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I have one.

minigts
01-11-2011, 05:56 PM
minigts - what routine did u use to root? what os version are u running?

Used Z4 Root on a Droid X, running 2.2 and also running a bootstrap program and ROM manager. Runs like a champ. :) Got some really cool tethering features and wireless tools.

I know what routine I like to use to root!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

lol Reeves!!!!

DodgeZ
01-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I am going to buy this and need MPTuner on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWIe8wQBqS0

wowzer
01-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I have one.

did u get the one you posted earlier about or something "better"? (link?)

ShelGame
01-11-2011, 09:09 PM
I'll have to go look. I haven't actually done anything with it yet.

wowzer
01-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Used Z4 Root on a Droid X, running 2.2 and also running a bootstrap program and ROM manager. Runs like a champ. :) Got some really cool tethering features and wireless tools.

lol Reeves!!!!

rooted and wireless tethered. z4root is excellent in case anybody else wants to do this. wireless tether isn't too bad either and will be handy when traveling. hmm, what next ???!???!

ShelGame
01-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Actually, the module I have does NOT support any baud rate. At least, not without a firmware modification which I'm not sure is possible.

This module (http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Wireless/Bluetooth/WT32_Datasheet-1.pdf), though, will run any baudrate it looks like. But, it's spendy...

It looks like the Roving Networks RN-41 and RN-42 (http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Wireless/Bluetooth/rn-bluetooth-um.pdf) can support non-standard baud rates, too. They're not spendy at all. I'm going to order an RN-42. Looks to be the cheapest and easiest to use.

minigts
01-13-2011, 01:33 PM
rooted and wireless tethered. z4root is excellent in case anybody else wants to do this. wireless tether isn't too bad either and will be handy when traveling. hmm, what next ???!???!

Well there's all kinds of stuff you can do with it. I have a boostrap program for the Droid X (they seem to be unique to each device) and another called ROM Manager. The Bootstrap software, I did pay for and it's the only app so far I have paid for. But it allows you to create an image of your phone so if you ever need to service the phone with verizon you can revert back to a previous image, restore to an existing current image, etc. And the programs will ask you every time if you want to create a backup image just in case you have issues. Prime example, I installed the bootstrap program and immediately made an image so if I get in a bind, I can go back to the beginning. Well the first add-on I did crashed the keyboard app so I had to restore back to just before this. Comes in handy.

But getting back on track, Rob do they make a micro USB to a female (I think female) USB cable? I'm just wondering because that is the interface on the Ostrich. Just thinking if I could run a USB to that and MP Tuner on the Droid, that would be killer to make changes from the phone. Same principle as running a laptop in the car, just smaller. :D

wowzer
02-01-2012, 12:36 AM
check this link:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?63964-Android-x86&p=889508&viewfull=1#post889508

minigts
02-01-2012, 12:43 AM
I saw this. I'd like to see what exactly you're doing. Do you have a BT adapter for your SMEC? I don't for my Ostrich, but could I? Possibly one that connects to the USB port and then do BT for updates? Granted, I'm not running this Ostrich, so not the same as the stock hardware.

bakes
02-01-2012, 02:17 AM
It never even cross my mind to try plugging my bluetooth dongle into ostrich USB port wounder if it would work?

he he this would be fun http://www.mydigitallife.info/wireless-cable-unveils-high-power-bluetooth-adapter/ could tune and data log live from the pits:p

wowzer
02-01-2012, 11:34 AM
i have one of these:
http://www.rovingnetworks.com/products/RN_240

i plug that into my old rs232 inverter i got years ago and then into the smec. i did buy a usb splitter to try hooking my ftdi cable and bluetooth dongle together but haven't got that far with it yet. the "problem" with the ostrich is that all you really gain is incredibly fast flashing of the chip. you do not have access to the ram locations for logging. and logging is what i'm really after in my vehicle. even with the bluetooth setup i can flash and verify my chip in about 45 seconds so its not that big of a deal. i did correspond with moates some time back about providing the bluetooth ostrich connector again but they weren't interested. i also visited with ftdi about a bluetooth/ftdi adapter but they had no plans for that either.

a few things i am going to try, now that i got the bluetooth connection junk figured out, is to use a few other baud rates and combinations and try to 1) eliminate having to reboot the bluetooth adapter multiple times and 2) increase the throughput. at the current rate of 16 bytes per second you could only log 3 or 4 parameters at a time to make it worthwhile to use in monitoring a quarter mile run. with the usb connection i was getting well over 400 bytes per second! and the usb is a much cleaner setup - plug one end into the ecu and the other into the laptop (or car pc!). with the bluetooth i plug the inverter into the ecu, the bluetooth into the inverter and power up the bluetooth with its own 9 volt power source. plus the pairing, yada yada yada.

minigts
02-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Well my desire to have something I can connect to the Ostrich is in relation to using Android. I've been looking to get a tablet for a while, but want one where I can plug up via USB and have software for a platform (W7 only right now) that will allow me to tune via the tablet. I'd love to get an Android tablet and do this, but I have no idea how to get the Ostrich software to run on it, except for some form of emulator like xine (I think that is the windows emulation for Linux). But I'd really like an Android tablet to use for tuning once I figure out how to tune. :)

wowzer
02-05-2012, 01:10 AM
you will need an android device that supports android 3.1 or above and can be used as a usb host. most of the newer tablets will do that. ftdi also has written some beta drivers for android. these need to be installed on the android device so you can use the ostrich or your ftdi cable. all i have is a droid x2 which does not support host usb. i did install android os 3.2 on my windows desktop and am running it in a virtual box. have not had a chance yet to upload any test programs to it to see if i can develop using that emulator for now. been working primarily with bluetooth stuff. for now i'm thinking if i am going to tie myself to an actual hard cable i'ld just as soon use my win laptop. plus if i put a bluetooth hookup on my ecu all i need is a $5 usb/bluetooth dongle for my laptop and i'm ready to go that way also. just haven't quite come to terms with the value in using an android device yet for this stuff.

minigts
02-05-2012, 01:37 AM
you will need an android device that supports android 3.1 or above and can be used as a usb host. most of the newer tablets will do that. ftdi also has written some beta drivers for android. these need to be installed on the android device so you can use the ostrich or your ftdi cable. all i have is a droid x2 which does not support host usb. i did install android os 3.2 on my windows desktop and am running it in a virtual box. have not had a chance yet to upload any test programs to it to see if i can develop using that emulator for now. been working primarily with bluetooth stuff. for now i'm thinking if i am going to tie myself to an actual hard cable i'ld just as soon use my win laptop. plus if i put a bluetooth hookup on my ecu all i need is a $5 usb/bluetooth dongle for my laptop and i'm ready to go that way also. just haven't quite come to terms with the value in using an android device yet for this stuff.

That's great that they have the drivers, but doesn't the Ostrich software have to be written for Android?

wowzer
02-05-2012, 01:51 AM
the ostrich hardware interfaces with the software program using the ftdi usb drivers. so, my goal is to create a version of mpscan and mptune2 for the android operating system. it would use the android ftdi drivers (just like you need to install on your windows system) to interface with the ostrich or with ftdi's own usb to serial converter.

minigts
02-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Gotcha, that would be awesome man. I plan to get a tablet in the next couple of months, just looking at which ones have the right hardware.

minigts
02-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Any recommendations on a tablet? I was looking at the Asus tablet (I think it was). It has a full size USB port and I was able handle it, seemed to run well. But any other recommendations?

ShelGame
02-20-2012, 09:44 PM
My wife has the Asus Transformer tablet. I really like it. You can snap a keyboard onto it and turn it into an Android netbook. Build quality is very good...

wowzer
02-20-2012, 10:08 PM
My wife .... !!!!

how come the man of the house doesn't have one!

anyhow - the asus would be a good unit, runs honeycomb 3.1+ and supports usb hosting (which will allow you to "someday" hook up your ftdi usb adapter cable to the ecu to flash, assuming you don't want to go the bluetooth route.)

ShelGame
02-21-2012, 12:04 AM
how come the man of the house doesn't have one!

Lol, the man of the house bought a roll cage, a set of slicks, and a logic analyzer instead...

anyhow - the asus would be a good unit, runs honeycomb 3.1+ and supports usb hosting (which will allow you to "someday" hook up your ftdi usb adapter cable to the ecu to flash, assuming you don't want to go the bluetooth route.)

It is also going to get the ICS (Android 4.0) update. Supposedly 2nd quarter this year...

bakes
06-11-2017, 08:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORoO-EcW74

minigts
06-12-2017, 10:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORoO-EcW74

I knew it was just a matter of time that someone did this. Thanks for sharing! :)

wowzer
06-12-2017, 03:13 PM
lmk if you try this and how it works....

minigts
06-13-2017, 02:30 AM
One thing I definitely want to do, but will be a while before I get a spare tablet to test this on. Would prefer one with the most memory possible, but that still has it's limitations. Currently I have a 17~19v booster that runs off 12v DC and planning to use it for my Lenovo Yoga 13. I log with it and use it to make adjustments to my tune, but the battery isn't reliable and found this power adapter online.

That's still really cool though and I would love to go the route of an Android table that runs on 5v.

wheming
06-13-2017, 04:23 AM
Go ahead Morris and remind him what he's in for, shortly.
Bluetooth Logging, Bin editing, and reflashing from your phone...

Force Fed Mopar
06-13-2017, 06:54 AM
I now have a spare LG Android phone, probably should use it to get in on this...

wowzer
06-13-2017, 09:47 AM
Go ahead Morris and remind him what he's in for, shortly.
Bluetooth Logging, Bin editing, and reflashing from your phone...

:eyebrows: just waiting on chromguy to finish up..... (i think he was going out of the country for a while unfortunately).

it would be interesting to see how the windows emulator noted above works with the android OS and it's "unique" way of handling/pausing activities.

i probably should go back and do some testing with mpscandroid with the ftdi usb cable. i've spend all my time over the last year working purely on the bluetooth and mpscilink stuff. at one time it seemed to work fairly well but i could have broken it with all the other updates i've done. hopefully wayne can do some demonstration at sdac. my plans to attend this year fell through unfortunately.

iangoround
06-13-2017, 11:12 PM
I've got limbo on my old Asus TF700. Trying to get it to boot in to WinXP right now but it seems to keep hanging up.

minigts
06-13-2017, 11:27 PM
I think it will probably work on older devices, but the memory requirements I would guess requires more than what the older devices can provide. I'm waiting for the new devices to come out with 4-8GB of RAM, then they will be exactly what we can use to tune and data log on a 5v tablet.

wheming
06-14-2017, 12:06 AM
I think it will probably work on older devices, but the memory requirements I would guess requires more than what the older devices can provide. I'm waiting for the new devices to come out with 4-8GB of RAM, then they will be exactly what we can use to tune and data log on a 5v tablet.

Bring your tablet to SDAC. If you get there Friday, we need to talk and i'll see if we can set this up. Then you'll be ready for the mpscilink release.

minigts
06-14-2017, 12:08 AM
Bring your tablet to SDAC. If you get there Friday, we need to talk and i'll see if we can set this up. Then you'll be ready for the mpscilink release.

I don't have one yet, waiting until they get more memory. I have a Lenovo Yoga 13 I use.

wheming
06-14-2017, 12:19 AM
I don't have one yet, waiting until they get more memory. I have a Lenovo Yoga 13 I use.

Well, I'll still talk to you at sdac. ;)

minigts
06-14-2017, 12:20 AM
Well, I'll still talk to you at sdac. ;)

For sure we will!!

bakes
06-29-2017, 01:06 AM
Did anyone get a change to get it up and running ????