PDA

View Full Version : new 568 popping out of 2nd

J&H Ryan
07-29-2010, 11:21 AM
I had this trans rebuilt by cliff ramsdell 4 years ago and the car just got rolling, there is zero miles on it. Before I go disassembling all the linkages I wanted to hear from people who are smarter than me on this.

It has all new poly bushings on the cables.

I've tried adjusting the crossover cable.

It will go into second if I pull back real hard, but it sounds like the gear doesn't engage until I start to let the clutch out. If I can get it into gear, it pops out and sounds like its catching teeth with an unnerving grind.

No change in feel going through the gears with the car on, clutch in, or off. I'm hoping its nothing internal because the trans is in, car ready to go, and I'm not sure cliff would believe me that its never been used...

rbryant
07-29-2010, 12:51 PM
I had one do that years ago after I put only a few hundred miles on it.

I had no choice but to run it for a while like that (was in college) and eventually I pulled it and got it rebuilt. When I did I had to buy a new speed gear and synchro.

The tranny I had was a dyno test piece from chryco so it wasn't exactly new but it hadn't ever been used much.

I was using synthetic mobil 1 in it at the time so I have avoided the synthetics since then.

-Rich

86Shelby
07-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Do you have any issues with 4th or reverse? Do they feel the same when engaging them with the shifter both stopped and moving?

Have you tried disconnecting the cables and putting it in 2nd to see if it stays in like that?

BadAssPerformance
07-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Is the lever on top of the shifter housing tight or is the roll pin sloppy? I would think Cliff would have fixed it if it was but good to double check.

J&H Ryan
08-07-2010, 08:07 PM
I had one do that years ago after I put only a few hundred miles on it.

I had no choice but to run it for a while like that (was in college) and eventually I pulled it and got it rebuilt. When I did I had to buy a new speed gear and synchro.

The tranny I had was a dyno test piece from chryco so it wasn't exactly new but it hadn't ever been used much.

I was using synthetic mobil 1 in it at the time so I have avoided the synthetics since then.

-Rich
I am using dino juice per cliffs reccomendation.

Do you have any issues with 4th or reverse? Do they feel the same when engaging them with the shifter both stopped and moving?

Have you tried disconnecting the cables and putting it in 2nd to see if it stays in like that?

Nope, 4th and reverse were great. Mike from mrx confirmed it is an internal trans issue.

Is the lever on top of the shifter housing tight or is the roll pin sloppy? I would think Cliff would have fixed it if it was but good to double check.
Nope, it was tight.

If anyone has cliffs contact info, can you direct him to this thread or check his pms?

J&H Ryan
08-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Got ahold of Chris, he said send it back. It had to come out anyway since my engine is suddenly toast, but still a bummer..

onerippinturbo2
08-11-2010, 11:07 PM
engine suddenly toast?? sorry to hear but please explain.

J&H Ryan
08-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Engine ran like a raped ape in one car, tossed it in another, wont boost, bad leakdown test, not sure what on earth happened between the time it was in the one car to the other. I've got a whole thread about it, but I think its a done deal that its getting a new engine at this point.

RoadWarrior222
08-16-2010, 08:15 AM
That tranny issue sounded a bit like either a clutch spring or crank walk issue, so you might have better luck on a new motor.

J&H Ryan
08-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Well, I'll see if it was a clutch spring, but yeah, its going to cliff to be confirmed and to have the sensor for a TIII machined.