PDA

View Full Version : Swapping wire harness in air bag car

prepared
07-29-2010, 12:02 AM
1992 Sundance. Driver's side air bag.

Where are the sensors that set off the airbag? Is there any safety precautions i need to take before and during swapping out the underhood wiring harness?

135sohc
07-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Unhook the battery and let it sit for several minutes (like 20 or so) to discharge any capacitors in the system. Look on either side of the radiator, sensor units are black semi cube shaped boxes attached to the vertical sheet metal panel and have a two wire plug going in the bottom.

prepared
07-29-2010, 12:11 AM
And the '91 Sundance turbo harness will plug right in and work with the 92 air bag system?

135sohc
07-29-2010, 12:12 AM
The connector should be the same but dont hold me to it.

prepared
07-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Related question:

The donor car is a '91 Sundance RS with cruise - controls on the wheel.

My car is a '92 Sundance America with dealer installed cruise - controls on an added-on column mounted thing.

When I do the swap I'd like to swap the wheel in with factory cruise and use the factory cruise from the donor car.

I'm still a little leary of working around the air bag. Is it just a matter of swapping the entire column out? Is there anything air bag related that makes this different than swapping the column in a non-airbag car?

shackwrrr
07-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Yellow wires are airbag wires. And when the steering is unhooked keep the wheel from turning and make sure it goes back the way it came in. The clock spring in the steering wheel is set for the right amount of rotations right and left.

prepared
07-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Yellow wires are airbag wires. And when the steering is unhooked keep the wheel from turning and make sure it goes back the way it came in. The clock spring in the steering wheel is set for the right amount of rotations right and left.

So the yellow wires go into a connector at the base of the column, I assume? Just unplug them and all is well?

Did not know that about the clock spring! So as long as I leave the key in the lock position, I should be good?

shackwrrr
07-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Yes the yellow wires should go into their own connectors at the base, They should be separate from the rest of the wires too. Keeping the key in the lock position is good, just center the wheel while its still connected and then lock the wheel. You could also ziptie it if its going to sit for a while in the garage in case anyone wants to "play" with it.