PDA

View Full Version : Surface rust on flywheel

omni_840
07-26-2010, 09:53 PM
I had my flywheel resurfaced a while ago and yesterday I noticed it had surface rusted. (I forgot to coat it:banghead:)

So what should I do? Get it resurfaced? Clean it? (if so with what?)

Thanks

cordes
07-26-2010, 10:02 PM
I had my flywheel resurfaced a while ago and yesterday I noticed it had surface rusted. (I forgot to coat it:banghead:)

So what should I do? Get it resurfaced? Clean it? (if so with what?)

Thanks

I had some very light rust which I removed with just some PB blaster and perhaps a little steel wool. Just make sure to clean it really well before reassembly and you should be fine IMO.

BadAssPerformance
07-26-2010, 11:13 PM
PB blaster (or other rust inhibitor), then brake cleaner (to get taht crap off), then a sanding disk (to put a nice non-directional finish on it), then more brake cleaner

Darkapollo
07-27-2010, 12:02 AM
I have never bothered with cleaning surface rust. First time you get on and off the clutch it will go away. Like brake rotors after rain, it will clean itself.
Of the dozens of motors I have put together, none have ever had issues from surface rust on the fly wheel.

turbovanman²
07-27-2010, 02:39 AM
^^What he said, leave it, putting any kind of solvent on is asking for trouble.

Force Fed Mopar
07-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Yeah it won't really hurt anything. I run a wire wheel on a drill or angle grinder over them, cleans them up good enough.

BadAssPerformance
07-27-2010, 01:16 PM
^^What he said, leave it, putting any kind of solvent on is asking for trouble.

Really?

brake cleaner = solvent

I always use brake cleaner on the flywheel before installation to make sure there is no oil or film from machining or handling on it.

turbovanman²
07-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Really?

brake cleaner = solvent

I always use brake cleaner on the flywheel before installation to make sure there is no oil or film from machining or handling on it.

Brake cleaner isn't solvent. To clarify for the reading impaired, :p Penetrating type fluids, ;)

BadAssPerformance
07-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Brake cleaner isn't solvent. To clarify for the reading impaired, :p Penetrating type fluids, ;)

:confused2:

sol·vent   /ˈsɒlvənt/ Show Spelled[sol-vuhnt]
–adjective
1. able to pay all just debts.
2. having the power of dissolving; causing solution.
–noun
3. a substance that dissolves another to form a solution: Water is a solvent for sugar.
4. something that solves or explains. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/solvent)

"Reading impaired"?

Seriosuly dude, do you think you are always right? Or do you just like to argue? :confused2:

cordes
07-27-2010, 09:24 PM
:confused2:

"Reading impaired"?

Seriosuly dude, do you think you are always right? Or do you just like to argue? :confused2:

While I too am a little taken aback by some of the recent threads, I cannot comment on that portion of the situation.

I will stand shoulder to shoulder with you in the brake cleaner vs. penetration fluid wars of 2011 though. I will be wearing prescription safety glasses and I have not lost the straw for my brake cleaner giving me maximum range.

Vigo
07-27-2010, 11:44 PM
^lol.

Brake cleaner is most definitely solvent. Or, if you want to use the catch-word of the day, 'Dispersant'. :p

Darkapollo
07-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Brake cleaner = solvent =/= penetrating oil

Brake cleaner has no lubrication properties at all.. It evaporates quickly leaving no residue. Which is why... it is BRAKE cleaner... Why on earth would it contain any type of lubricating oils if it is to be used to clean BRAKE parts??

Anyway... Dont bother to clean it.. A wire wheel will dust it off, but its the same thing that the clutch will do the first time you step on it.

omni_840
07-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone