PDA

View Full Version : Throttle body placement?

Wink
06-16-2006, 11:09 AM
On a custom intake manifold, is throttle body placement a huge factor?

I'm thinking of fabricating a custom upper intake for my 3.0L. Basically it's going to be a large rectangle box, made in two halves. The lower half will have velocity stacks to channel the airflow down into the lower runners. The upper half will be sealed/bolted to the lower half. My question is... with a setup like this, is throttle body placement a huge factor? I'm thinking about relocating the TB for better mounting positions of my turbo project.

I was thinking about postioning the TB offset of engine centerline on the intake, or on the back facing the firewall.

Any comments?

Frank
06-16-2006, 03:35 PM
I think it is. What kind of lower runners are you using? I have some suggestions if you want to hear.... especially since I have a set of the sohc stealth runners here that i need to off load.

Take a block of aluminum. Mill out wholes which match the ports on the lower. Make nice tapers/stacks in it. Then bolt a plenum onto that with a TB at the end and up high.

Frank

Wink
06-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Well, I just acquired a Montero/Raider 3.0L lower intake. So that's what I'm going to be using for the lower runners. I was thinking about using the diamante unit I had. But I decided to sell it, as the montero unit fits alot better.

That's actually a decent idea. However, I really don't have access to a decent machine shop that I trust with that much of aluminum (pretty expensive stuff).

But I'd like to hear any other ideas you might have brewing in that nugget of yours.