PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my car

Mustanghater
06-16-2006, 12:55 AM
I have been thinking about running a different turbo in it to get rid of the stock one. I also want to put a custom hood on it but i don't know where i can buy one.

Here are the pics the owner sent me. I would like some imput on what to do and where I can buy the parts.

http://photos.yahoo.com/chet7777

rhubbard
06-16-2006, 01:47 AM
nice digital dash, I put the same kind in my lancer.

I couldn't help you with your questions though, I'm just as much of a noob.

Boosted Baron
06-16-2006, 02:48 AM
Nice ride. Welcome aboard. There are a lot of other mods you can do before upgrading the turbo. Go over to www.thedodgegarage.com and read up. He ran 12.60s on the stock turbo on his Daytona. As far as a custom hood, i haven't a clue.

turbosunleashed.com or fwdperformance.com are both good place for go fast parts.

TurboJerry
06-16-2006, 03:04 AM
I woulden't change the turbo untill you "run out of boost". There are alot of mods that need to be done before this happens. Exhaust, BOV, Adding the proper amount of fuel and fuel system upgrades, intake mods, etc. This is just a short example if possible things to do. Otherwise the stock Garrett is good for 25 psi and 275 HP. (310 of you really tweak it) A bigger turbo would give more power at less boost, but you can still have fun with the stock one too...... 12's are possible.

GLHSKEN
06-16-2006, 06:11 AM
You don't even have the car and are talking turbo swap. Take your time. Go slow and learn the car. Just an MP module will put you about 95-97 in the 1/4 mile. That ain't slow.

If you go too fast, you'll blow something up.

Oh and why the hood?? a 16 year old in a daytona is going to attract "enough" attention from the local barney's anyway. The stock Z hood is subtle and well done.

89acclaim
06-16-2006, 07:18 AM
A 91+ interior would look nice in that car.:eyebrows:

Daniel Merrill

talanthalus
06-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Speaking from experience... If I had the chance to do things differently than I did, I would take more time to enjoy the car, learn more about things, and move forward with any modifications you're going to make a step or two at a time.

Even though it isn't the fastest, a stock Daytona Turbo is still fun to drive and has quite a bit more power to it than a lot of other things out there...Just the most simple of modifications would get you to the same HP levels as some of the most closely matched competition out today (in stock form), and you don't run the risk of having a car that doesn't run at all.

Anyway, that's a sweet car...good luck.

Mustanghater
06-16-2006, 10:29 AM
OK thanks guys, I wanted a custom hood cause a daytona in erie that is on ebay has one and I wanted one like it. I have planned to put a shift kit in the car allready.

j4278h
06-16-2006, 10:54 AM
A shift kit in a manual a-555 daytona?

man my head hurts after that one

Mustanghater
06-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Why is that bad? I meant a short shift kit.

85shelbycharger
06-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Why is that bad? I meant a short shift kit.

You'll probably have to custom fab a short shifter then. As far as I know, there are no aftermarket short shifters for the A520/A555 transmissions because of how reverse is set up with the lift-up lever. And for your question about the custom hood, I don't think anybody is producing those either. The stock bulged hoods look pretty darn good IMO but if you are really looking to get something different, do a search for "custom daytona hood". If I recall correctly, there was somebody looking to do a run of fiberglass or carbon fiber Daytona hoods.

Mustanghater
06-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Oh I thought It was for this tranny. Like I said I know nothing about TD's so I'm gonna post the parts I'm gonna buy before I do so You guys can tell me if it'll work or not. I would like to have a T-top Z but I don't want to cut the roof.

86Shelby
06-16-2006, 12:05 PM
The hoodscoop on that car looks like it's off an old Charger or Rampage with the 2.2 appearance package. I have one of those on my Omni. Maybe it's one from JC Whitney?

85shelbycharger
06-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Oh I thought It was for this tranny. Like I said I know nothing about TD's so I'm gonna post the parts I'm gonna buy before I do so You guys can tell me if it'll work or not. I would like to have a T-top Z but I don't want to cut the roof.

I'm not bashing you or anything what-so-ever, but I think that before you start to buy any parts you should do a little research and just try and learn the basic in's and out's of these turbo cars. This way when you go to buy a part, you'll have a general idea of the pros and cons for that particular part with your setup. Granted, you can get any question you have answered here but I know I have found that by learning about these cars (by reading thedodgegarage, and reading through different tech posts) "on my own" has been very beneficial for me.

Mustanghater
06-18-2006, 03:58 PM
I've learned a lot from reading dodge garage and that it takes very little to make a 12 sec car one. The best part is i live 15 mins from tompson dragway were I can test them out.