PDA

View Full Version : Fabbed up my new alt mount.

black86glhs
07-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Spent the past couple of days trying to figure out how to install the Nippondenso alternator I grabbed at the pull-a-part. I spaced out the original bracket from the pump housing and straightened it out a little. Welded up some of the adjustment notch so I could trim back about 3/16"-1/4" of the inside of the bracket to clear the serp belt. Welded a stud to the top of the tensioner(the piece the adjustment bolt threads into) so I can tighten it down after belt adjustment. Used the stock spacer on the upper mount between the mounting ears and replaced the guides in the bushings with with the ones from the 94 Acclaim I got it from. The alternator lines up perfectly with the bolt and washers installed on the bushings. Hell, I had to space out the water pump pulley and not the alternator...lol.

cordes
07-24-2010, 12:13 AM
That looks like a really good solution to the problem.

black86glhs
07-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Thanks, Brian. I tried to use the newer mounting and adjuster, but there was no way I could think of to use it.
My setup was a non-common block L-body water pump housing.

turbovanmanČ
07-24-2010, 01:31 AM
Did you see how I did this GLH-T?

Nice job though, :D

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=145

onerippinturbo2
07-24-2010, 01:39 AM
simon, the pics are gone.

black86glhs
07-24-2010, 01:39 AM
Did you see how I did this GLH-T?

Nice job though, :D

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=145

The pictures don't come up??? It just shows the shortcut. I never had a chance to look at it because of the picture issue, but would like to.:nod:

black86glhs
07-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Simon, I looked at the pics by copy and paste method. The reason I did it the way I did was to avoid notching the frame. Plus, I can use a shorter belt. Right now I have a 395mm long belt on it and it can be a good bit shorter. I might get a 360-370mm belt and see how that fits. :D

Keito
07-25-2010, 08:21 AM
If you want to see his pics, remove the [IMG] in the front of the address.

Juggy
07-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks, Brian. I tried to use the newer mounting and adjuster, but there was no way I could think of to use it.
My setup was a non-common block L-body water pump housing.

strange thats exactly what i got going on here and I had no issues getting it 2gether???

ill have to check the belt length and let ya know what size im running

black86glhs
07-25-2010, 06:37 PM
strange thats exactly what i got going on here and I had no issues getting it 2gether???

ill have to check the belt length and let ya know what size im running

I wanted as much room in there for other things.....even though I don't really know what they are, yet.:)
My way is not the only or correct way, just how it came together in my mind. I'll post up the pics of the individual parts after they are painted. I finished the modding and welding on the lower bracket.:thumb:

onerippinturbo2
07-25-2010, 07:20 PM
has anyone tried to mount the nippon alt to the 90 amp adjusting bracket? years ago i converted from the normal alt to the 90amp daytona alt and used the lower bracket from the daytona as well. the swap went without a hitch. just wondering if anyone has tried to use that style lower bracket with the ND alt and what if any issues were there.

black86glhs
07-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Here are the pics of the bracket & other pieces and one with it all installed and a belt on it. As you can see, I can easily use a shorter belt....and will.:thumb: