PDA

View Full Version : EGR Block off..While still in the car!

85_600
06-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Is it possible and if so, how hard will this be?

I have access to a block off plate (thanks Beavis1313) so that's not an issue. I just want to see what I'm up against. This MAY be the whole root cause to my stumble/idle issues (Thanks to Russ for this diagnosis)...So, I'd like to do it in the car and see how it runs after I block/bypass it. Then I'll know what's up.

Thanks!
Paul

WVRampage
06-15-2006, 11:56 PM
If you can get the hard line plugged with no problem but the egr if my memory serves me correct isnt to hard to get to,you may have to remove the TB.

85_600
06-15-2006, 11:59 PM
If you can get the hard line plugged with no problem but the egr if my memory serves me correct isnt to hard to get to,you may have to remove the TB.

And the hard line is the one that you need a bolt to use to plug up the hole? I read about something like that at Gary's site when converting a T1 to T2...

MiniMopar
06-16-2006, 12:23 AM
I think it is an inverse flare, but my brain is pretty fuzzy on the old T1 stuff. I do remember that they corrode to the point where you can't get the nut to slip on the pipe. Give it a shot, but if it won't come, just cut it off and use a socket. A steel pipe plug should close it up fine, if it is indeed a flare nut.

85_600
06-16-2006, 01:10 AM
I think it is an inverse flare, but my brain is pretty fuzzy on the old T1 stuff. I do remember that they corrode to the point where you can't get the nut to slip on the pipe. Give it a shot, but if it won't come, just cut it off and use a socket. A steel pipe plug should close it up fine, if it is indeed a flare nut.

:thumb:

What's the best way to cut it off, if need be? I do have a power hacksaw :thumb:

86Shelby
06-17-2006, 07:09 PM
The EGR hole in the swingvalve is the same size as an O2 sensor. Get an old sensor somewhere and cut the wires off and install it in the hole.

85_600
06-18-2006, 09:26 PM
The EGR hole in the swingvalve is the same size as an O2 sensor. Get an old sensor somewhere and cut the wires off and install it in the hole.

Hahaaa, that's great news!! Thanks :thumb:

85_600
06-19-2006, 05:10 PM
All righty (jeez - did I just say "Righty") :o I found a pic of the backside of a 2.2. REALLY good shot of the EGR. So now I'm set to try to remove it, although I won't be able to until early July :( ..

Now, IF it's nearly impossible to remove the bolt on the turbo housing, would it be possible to just crimp that tube tight enough or am I just asking for trouble?

Here's a pic just for reference:

http://www.wadsnet.com/~megadeus/Pics/EGR.jpg

Someone told me (might have been Russ or Butchsuppe) that I could just cut off the tube and use a socket on the flare nut on the turbo, if push comes to shove. I'm just checking some options "just" in case something doesn't go as planned.

Thanks,
Paul

Holley
06-19-2006, 05:20 PM
The pipe in that photo has been badly bent, I recon it would be easy to crimp the pipe while still on the car by taking off the TB and leaving most of the pipe still on the car ...

R/T
06-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Yep, cut it off on the TB end an jam a bolt or something in it to plug it up.

Use silicone, too....:)

85_600
06-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Yep, cut it off on the TB end an jam a bolt or something in it to plug it up.

Use silicone, too....:)

That's where I could use JB...on the OTHER end...Yea...Or silicone. Whichever I can find first I guess :o

This is getting good...Thanks!
Paul