PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen Neon Turbo tuning.

Mopar318
07-21-2010, 10:37 PM
I tried finding some info on this with no luck, and all the tuning gurus are on here. I am doing a 2.4 turbo in a 98 Neon ACR. I dont want to run a FMU or piggy back, I did that on my dakota and it was fine but this car will be a driver and I want it to be tunable. Has anybody used the stock computer and was able to flash? I know B&G does tuning for the chrysler PCM's but no boost stuff. The 2.4 is already installed. I believe it uses a 1 bar map sensor that is connected to the manifold.

I would be using a 2-bar map along with the SRT injectors. This is a returnless fuel system, but I could make it a return to loop system. Like I did on my dakota, and what people do on the SRT.

contraption22
07-22-2010, 09:32 AM
I think you are SOL. I don't know of anybody that does custom turbo tuning for Neon PCM's. Some guys use piggy backs, other use aftermarket engine management from Megasquirt, SDS, BigStuff, etc.

My brother has a Hahn PortFueler on his 2.4 Turbo 1st gen. In hindsight, we would have done something different.

ShadowFromHell
07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
I know I mentioned this in the other thread, but if you use a 2003+ block you can re-wire the car to stock SRT electronics. Its some work, because the whole car has to be done. I have read that the 98-99s are plug and play, but dont know for sure. Then you have a TON of options! Or do some minor mods, and run 20psi on the stock stuff and run 12's :)

Mopar318
07-22-2010, 06:05 PM
I think im gonna go with Megasquirt. Easy choice since there already is a crank sensor, and most sensors can be used.

cordes
07-22-2010, 06:08 PM
I think im gonna go with Megasquirt. Easy choice since there already is a crank sensor, and most sensors can be used.

From everything I have read that is the way to go. Keep us updated.

Mopar318
07-22-2010, 09:57 PM
I will probally be going with the MSII and assembling it myself. Ill run the MSII and use the stock computer for the hardware controls, gauges, and alternator charging.

shackwrrr
07-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Ill sell ya mine. I am still on the fence weather or not to run it in mine.

Mopar318
07-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Ill sell ya mine. I am still on the fence weather or not to run it in mine.

Which version do you have? Did you assemble it? How much?

SebringLX
07-29-2010, 02:07 PM
If you got a complete NGC3 system wired up, you could do everything on the PCM.

shackwrrr
07-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Which version do you have? Did you assemble it? How much?

ms2 pcb 3.0 with extra installed. Includes relay box and 12 foot wiring harness. I also have the stim and a gm IAT sensor with connector. I built it and tested it by leaving it hooked up to the stim for 5 days strait with no resets. It is built for 1 hall effect sensor which I am pretty sure all you need for a NGC crank sensor since it already identifies every cylinder. I also used silver bearing solder and made sure every joint flowed on both sides of the board. The only thing you might need if running low-z injectors is the peak and hold board which is only 58 bucks. I think stock injectors are High impedance anyway.

Its never been used and I have 450 in everything unassembled I would sell it for 400. Dont you still have that turbo?;)

turbovanmanČ
07-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Install a SMEC. I did a SRT swap in a first gen, he had Microtech installed and I had to redo a bunch of things to get the dash etc to work. If I had my way, I'd have installed Rbyrants dizzy adapter and run a SMEC, less headaches I think.

Mopar318
07-29-2010, 03:35 PM
ms2 pcb 3.0 with extra installed. Includes relay box and 12 foot wiring harness. I also have the stim and a gm IAT sensor with connector. I built it and tested it by leaving it hooked up to the stim for 5 days strait with no resets. It is built for 1 hall effect sensor which I am pretty sure all you need for a NGC crank sensor since it already identifies every cylinder. I also used silver bearing solder and made sure every joint flowed on both sides of the board. The only thing you might need if running low-z injectors is the peak and hold board which is only 58 bucks. I think stock injectors are High impedance anyway.

Its never been used and I have 450 in everything unassembled I would sell it for 400. Dont you still have that turbo?;)

I would do that trade. PM me with info.:thumb:

Mopar318
07-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Install a SMEC. I did a SRT swap in a first gen, he had Microtech installed and I had to redo a bunch of things to get the dash etc to work. If I had my way, I'd have installed Rbyrants dizzy adapter and run a SMEC, less headaches I think.

Im not putting a 80's computer in the neon, nor a distributer:lol: No thanks. Dash functions should not be a problem and the important gauges will be autometers anyways.