PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System Opinions Needed

Boosted Baron
06-15-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm currently building the motor for my Lebaron and am planning on running 25-30 psi on a Turbonetics hybrid. Also, plan on using a cal from TU. Anyway heres the question. I was plan on using +40%s, AFPR, with a 255 Walbro pump. Will that be enough? I'm kicking around the idea of adding some sort of alky injection just to be on the safe side.

So what would you guys do? Get bigger than the plus 40%s and just go with that or add the alky? Also, i've thought about running the car soley on methanol. Opinions?

This is my first serious build and I want to do it right the first time.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

turbovanmanČ
06-15-2006, 10:18 PM
+40's will be fine, of course your getting a 3 bar cal-right?

Methanol will be a different beast and it will have to be completely retuned and If my memory is good, your fuel system has to be redone as pure Methanol is highly corrosive.

Boosted Baron
06-15-2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks Simon.

That's what I was looking for. Advice from someone who has run that before.

BadAssPerformance
06-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Depends on how big of a hybrid you're getting and how well your head flows.

Injectors are designed to run at a maximum of 80% duty cycle (for efficiency, they will go to, and past, 100% DC if pushed), and at 30 psi I would expect even with an average hybrid and head you'd be above 80%DC with the 52pph (+40%) injectors.

I only say this because I am over 80%DC on the 72pph injectors I run in my Z.

turbovanmanČ
06-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Thanks Simon.

That's what I was looking for. Advice from someone who has run that before.

Sorry, I speed read and just saw 30 psi. You will probably be maxed out slightly before that but if you run an alky system, you will have no problems.

Boosted Baron
06-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Is there an advantage to one over the other.(72pph injectors vs +40%s with alky)?

I was thinking the plus 40%s with alky because of the additional cooling effects of the methanol. Also, I would think the 72pph plus methanol would be rich, even with a small sprayer, but I could be way off on that.:confused:

BadAssPerformance
06-16-2006, 01:06 AM
I'd vote for the 72pph and a good calibration.

I drink alcohol, my car don't.

Clay
06-16-2006, 09:01 AM
engines running on methanol alone require a much greater volume of fuel than if you were running gas. Not knowing the ratio off the top of my head, Im leary that +40s would be enough.

turbovanmanČ
06-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Cost wise and ease of getting a cal, just stick with the +40's and alky. I made my own alky system and using winter washer fluid, can run 89 pump gas at 25 psi with NO detonation. Pretty cool.