PDA

View Full Version : cluster light mod

Moparbishi
12-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Ok i decided i was tired of looking at the green lights in my red car with red interior. So, i decided i was gona put in some red 194 bulbs. so i went out and got a few. Took the cluster out, pulled the 5 in the back out and put the red ones in. I then put it back in. Well i was dissapointed to see that the dash was now very very very dim. So then i decided ok. the bulbs i took out were clear so there must be some kind of filter in it to make the cluster lights look green. i then took out the 7mm bolts in theback of the cluster and pulled the circut board off. then i saw them. There was a blue plastic bulb cover in each of the bulb slots. So that is why they were so dim i thought. I took them out and decided i wanted red turn signals as well. But the turn signal covers are green so i pulled the little plastic cover piece of and now my turn signals are bright red bulbs with no covers. lol at least i know when my turn signals and my high beams are on. I then put the cluster back together and waited for dark.

Dark came around and i turned on the lights. BAM what a diffrence.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2113000-2113999/2113256_9.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2113000-2113999/2113256_10.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2113000-2113999/2113256_11.jpg

I can see them. They look good and alot better then the stock green. iI got the bulbs for 1.99 for 2 and i bout 4 packs. 5 for the cluster, and 3 for the turn signals and high beam.

Clay
12-29-2005, 10:48 PM
Looks sweet! But, be prepared for the worst.

I did the same thing in a truck, only with blue blubs. I quickly learned that the effect wasnt worth the effort when the blue PAINT burned off the bulbs and I was left with basically no color to the cluster at all. :censored:

Now, this was 10 years ago, so hopefully you have bulbs that have colored glass on them, and not just painted.

clay

Moparbishi
12-30-2005, 01:41 AM
well see but it only take 10 mintues to replace thm if they are painted

thnx for the wwarning

Turbo Joe
12-31-2005, 12:44 AM
i've been thinking of that but thinking of using those l.e.d. bulbs..
your opinions?...

Moparbishi
12-31-2005, 04:09 AM
go for it. i plan to swap in LED's when i can get the money for them

BIG PSI
12-31-2005, 04:15 PM
Man that looks pretty sweet. Good job. :thumb:

Lee'sdaytona
12-31-2005, 04:33 PM
if you go to maybe autostoned, but DEFINATELY a speed shop, autometer and some knock off brands make rubber colored covers for lightbulbs...almost like little condoms for your bulbs...lol...so you use the regular 194 clear/white bulbs with red covers....no paint to worry about or anything ;)
-Lee

cordes
12-31-2005, 05:35 PM
That looks pretty cool. You should do something about that low oil pressure though.:p

Whorse
12-31-2005, 07:36 PM
On my dash bezel there is a green film on the back side, so no matter which colour light I use, it gets that green tinge to it. Anyone know anything about removing/replacing that?

Lee'sdaytona
12-31-2005, 07:54 PM
On my dash bezel there is a green film on the back side, so no matter which colour light I use, it gets that green tinge to it. Anyone know anything about removing/replacing that?
I do know that my brother's cavalier has the green tint glued right on like your describing. We put red bulbs in and you still wouldn't know the difference. It still lights red. Have you ever tried to just install the bulbs and see how they look?
-Lee

Moparbishi
01-01-2006, 05:28 AM
that is the nrake light lol. the ebrake is on so my car dont roll backwards.

Radiant_Red
01-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Looks sweet! But, be prepared for the worst.

I did the same thing in a truck, only with blue blubs. I quickly learned that the effect wasnt worth the effort when the blue PAINT burned off the bulbs and I was left with basically no color to the cluster at all. :censored:

Now, this was 10 years ago, so hopefully you have bulbs that have colored glass on them, and not just painted.

clay

Yep I did the same way back in 92 and the colour just burns off after so long i think the LED bulbs or the foreskin covers would be the better route.

beavis1313
01-17-2006, 01:18 AM
I removed the green film from a spare van cluster I had and tried LED's they didn't work too good they basicly put light in small spots and didn't really light up the cluster

riceboyler
01-17-2006, 09:48 AM
One of the online companies (I'll have to find a link) has a 194 LED specifically made for gauge clusters that disperses the light from the element better. I'm seriously considering going that route because the green looks so aged.

EDIT: Found them. http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html I'm gonna give those a shot in the future.

mech1nxh
01-17-2006, 10:03 AM
One of the online companies (I'll have to find a link) has a 194 LED specifically made for gauge clusters that disperses the light from the element better. I'm seriously considering going that route because the green looks so aged.

EDIT: Found them. http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html I'm gonna give those a shot in the future.

thanks Jason....
very cool, added to favorites, on an old pc board less current is always a good thing! copper film and high temp plastic laminate is supposed to be resistant to contact " fretting" (twenty years ago)..... these bulbs look
like a viable option for color and longevity

Aries_Turbo
01-23-2006, 12:58 AM
nice pontiac hehehehe ;)

Brian

turzbo
05-24-2008, 02:01 PM
i have a 91 shadow and have always wanted to do the same and just read about this now the only problem is that i dont have covers thers a film on the gauge its self anyone no how to take the face off the gauge without breaking the needle off any info would be great thanks

Bardo
05-24-2008, 02:20 PM
beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep CLEAR (deep thud) beep beep beep beep. we got her back :D

turzbo
05-24-2008, 02:42 PM
lol:clap:

Dusty_Duster
05-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Autometer brand LEDs are great. I use them in my Ram's gauges. Just don't use Autometer bulb sockets. They suck.

jay
05-28-2008, 12:27 PM
http://AUTOLUMINATION.COM

Dave
02-07-2011, 01:59 AM
Sorry to bring an old thread back, but just to be certain, even with the green film over the gauges if you install a different colored bulb it will still illuminate the bulb color?

So to the OP, you had a green film and red bulbs and this still worked? I can't see how you can remove the film. At least on my Caravan it's not possible.

Aries_Turbo
02-07-2011, 09:08 AM
if the cluster has a tinted color lens in the cluster itself, you can use a clear bulb in it.

you cant use a green filter over a colored bulb, it will output a goofy color blend. red+green = brown. :)

Brian