PDA

View Full Version : In Need of a turbo Project

PunKid
07-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Brand new to forum. I have a need for a turbo mopar, and I think I found the right spot. I tend to be a lengthy poster, so I appoligize in advance.

Current project on hold

1972 Dodge D100 short bed 2wd.

Started off with a 318 and a 3 on the tree. currently a 440 with a OD 4 speed.
The 440 was freshened up as cheap as possible Quick hone, rering, rebearing, lapped valves, and threw it all back together. mild cam, torker 2 intake, headers, 3in appreviated exhuast, 750cfm holley vac sec carb, centerforce dual friction clutch, put down 275hp and 355ftlbs at the tires. 3.21 one legger 8.75 rear, home built caltrac traction bars, 1" rear sway bar, and on street tires.

Best time was a 13.72@101mph with a 2.08 60ft and 3650lbs race weight (this was with a 727 auto) best time now is a 14.1@99mph with a 2.2 60ft.

So its on hold because It really needs the engine to be gone through again, slicks, spool, gears, and a 4 speed with no OD. looking like lots of money.

OK now onto my new project.

I really want an L-body, and to be more specific the 4door Omni or Horizon. I figure trying to find a GLH cheap (1500 or less) in New-England, thats not rotted to hell is pretty much impossible. I am not against making my Own GLH/Shelby clone out of a stock omni/horizon and what ever FWD turbo mopar car I can get cheap for a donar.

If I were to get a bone stock omni/horizon how dificult is it to get the suspension and driveline beefed up to shelby standards. I am not really worried about the engine and turbo stuff for now. I figure this is common question so please feel free to just post links to thread if its been answered a million times.

Also project goals are cheap, dragstrip friendly, fun, and able to somewhat daily drive to work and back. easy right.

ok go easy on me

Directconnection
07-21-2010, 12:10 PM
If you're not afraid of some project cars (ie: needs rust repair and some engine work) a friend of mine has a GLH-T, an '87 CSX, and a 1987 GLHS. We're here in Maine... and he'd probably let each car go fairly cheap (not speaking on his behalf, but have heard him mention in the past $500 or so for the csx, and probably the same for the glhs)

PunKid
07-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Now here comes some of my newbieness

Is the 87 GLHS a 4 door L body or a 2 door charger?

I might be interested. I live off exit 1 on 95, how far up you guys located?

BoostedDrummer
07-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Welcome to the forum!:thumb:

Since I have 2 L-body TM's (Charger and Omni GLH) I feel I can somewhat fill you in. Making your own GLH/Shelby clone is pretty easy and is done quite often around here. Lately though, it seems like more people are ditching the 2.2L Turbo and going for the 2.4L turbo out of the Neon SRT-4's. In these cars its not easy to blow out the bottom end, your main concern would just to keep your A/F ratio in a safe range or you're going to melt pistons and bend rods. Not good. For your application, the easiest route would just try to find a turbo L-body around you. If you cant do that, the other route is to find an Omni, Charger, or Rampage roller(someone usually has one here for sale every once in awhile) and then find a donor car with a complete engine. If you can score a running T1 engine(stock in all L-bodies excluding the 1986 Omni GLHS and 1987 Charger GLHS) you'll be in good shape but for beefing up the drivetrain, youre going to want to upgrade to a stronger trans. The stock A525 trans in ALL L-bodies is pretty weak and tends to break if you build the engine up to the 200hp mark. The A525 is only made for 175ft/lbs and is very opt to break if you pass that. The next best trans to upgrade to is the A555 or A520(basically the same) and the step up from that is the A568 which is a VERY stout trans which came in the Spirit R/T and the Daytona IROC R/T.

A good recommended site to bookmark is Donovans Dodge Garage. If you want a fast cheap TM, his site is the bible;).
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/

BoostedDrummer
07-21-2010, 12:28 PM

The 1986 GLHS is the 4 door Omni
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/pokey6733/5%20-%20Other%20Stuff/Random%20Car%20Pics/OmniGLHS.jpg

The 1987 GLHS is the 2 door Charger
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/TimV69/Beaulieu/2008_Spring_Autojumble/IMG_3883.jpg

Directconnection
07-21-2010, 12:50 PM

Wow.... not all that far from me. I'm a little over an hour from the NH border, but the cars are in Bangor (another hour and a half north of me)

BadAssPerformance
07-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Welcome to the forum! :thumb:

PunKid
07-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the forum!:thumb:

Since I have 2 L-body TM's (Charger and Omni GLH) I feel I can somewhat fill you in. Making your own GLH/Shelby clone is pretty easy and is done quite often around here. Lately though, it seems like more people are ditching the 2.2L Turbo and going for the 2.4L turbo out of the Neon SRT-4's. In these cars its not easy to blow out the bottom end, your main concern would just to keep your A/F ratio in a safe range or you're going to melt pistons and bend rods. Not good. For your application, the easiest route would just try to find a turbo L-body around you. If you cant do that, the other route is to find an Omni, Charger, or Rampage roller(someone usually has one here for sale every once in awhile) and then find a donor car with a complete engine. If you can score a running T1 engine(stock in all L-bodies excluding the 1986 Omni GLHS and 1987 Charger GLHS) you'll be in good shape but for beefing up the drivetrain, youre going to want to upgrade to a stronger trans. The stock A525 trans in ALL L-bodies is pretty weak and tends to break if you build the engine up to the 200hp mark. The A525 is only made for 175ft/lbs and is very opt to break if you pass that. The next best trans to upgrade to is the A555 or A520(basically the same) and the step up from that is the A568 which is a VERY stout trans which came in the Spirit R/T and the Daytona IROC R/T.

A good recommended site to bookmark is Donovans Dodge Garage. If you want a fast cheap TM, his site is the bible;).
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/

Thats basically what I wanted to do, just wanted to verify there was no unseen hicups.

I think I will pass with the SRT-4 set up for now, my buddy SilverFleet is thinking of going that route in his new CSX. I am not too worried about tuning. I have tuned many different cars before (use to work at a speed shop with a chassis dyno) and I have friend running megasquirt on a turbo Miata and another friend running a eprom based tuner on 92 DSM. basically its just small changes and lots of data analysis. The suspension and brakes is what I was curious about. If I already had an Omni to look at I would probably be less confused but currently all I have to look at is the internet.

So now I need to scour the classifieds and craigslist.

ohh and thanks for the welcome :thumb:

SilverFleet
07-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the board, from one noob to another! :lol:

I think it's cool that you're getting one too. I'm interested to see what your mechanical engineer brain will come up with to make one of these go fast! :thumb: Now, let's go find you one!

Directconnection
07-21-2010, 03:05 PM
if you guys are interested in the cars I mentioned, PM me your email addy and I'll put you in contact with the owner... and good friend of mine (Jaimie)

PunKid
07-21-2010, 04:30 PM
PM coming your way

Vigo
07-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Welcome to the forum!

This is just my .02, but do yourself a favor and catch a ride from someone with a well-running, modified turbo dodge car. There are a few in your area.

The reason i say this is because you will need to keep that memory as motivation to keep going if you plan to build a car and not start with a running one.

Otherwise, good luck and keep us posted!!

Directconnection
07-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Hey guys... got your PM but didn't have time to call Jaimie (but emailed him instead)

I'll call him tomorrow, as well.... I do know he'd like to find new homes for them and isn't asking much at all.

mcsvt
07-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Steve, I'd take more details on any of those cars too... Bit far, but all desirable in my mind :)

Directconnection
07-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Sure will do!

The glhs is complete, but had been pillaged a bit for his other '87 glhs. He used the better parts of the two... but this one sitting outside has the Shelby VC, rad/cooler, centurians, etc... just has a good deal of rust underside. I never looked under it to judge.... I think this one ran when parked. (dash plaque still there,)

The '87 CSX is also complete... sans fender. Dash plaque there, too.. along with all shelby items. Some rust underneath... but not as bad as the glhs from what he told me this spring when i last saw it.

The GLH-T I think is an '86 and is black. Totally stock.... and suffers some underside rust as well. They are New England cars.....

I have access to many drivetrain and suspension upgrades for these cars.... and I know someone with extra L-body parts (new 2-door shelby charger front fascia)

I have a couple pi of the csx... I'll see if I can find them right now and post them up in a bit.

Directconnection
07-21-2010, 10:21 PM
here's the glhs...

I'm pretty sure he has the centurians as I saw a complete set sitting at his place, too.

86seeS
07-21-2010, 10:41 PM
if it wasnt so away i would own it haha

Directconnection
07-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Here's a few rough shots as well of the csx....

as I mentioned once before, even though a few items are missing, he has everything to put back together... minus the exact fender it came from the factory with.

SilverFleet
07-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Here's a few rough shots as well of the csx....

as I mentioned once before, even though a few items are missing, he has everything to put back together... minus the exact fender it came from the factory with.

I want that steering wheel! Mine has chunks missing out of it. :(

Directconnection
07-22-2010, 12:47 PM
I want that steering wheel! Mine has chunks missing out of it. :(

I have one exactly like it... unsure if I want to sell it or not. But, he won't sell the cars for someone to simply part them out, because if someone is to do that, might as well be him (but he wants them saved...)

I was the one who located these cars years ago and didn't have the room/cash to save them, so Jaimie was able to step in after I gave him the leads.

SilverFleet
07-22-2010, 12:54 PM
I have one exactly like it... unsure if I want to sell it or not. But, he won't sell the cars for someone to simply part them out, because if someone is to do that, might as well be him (but he wants them saved...)

I was the one who located these cars years ago and didn't have the room/cash to save them, so Jaimie was able to step in after I gave him the leads.

Yeah, I wouldn't want that car parted out either. That should be a crime!

mcsvt
07-22-2010, 01:09 PM
The quarters seem to be ok on those 2 cars. I'd be interested in what the extent of the rust on the underside is though.

Hopefully we can get a couple saved!

Captain Chaos
07-22-2010, 01:17 PM
'90 VNT competition package Shadow (50-trim 2.5 8v 568 *coming summer of 2048! )
'90 VNT ES Shadow

I want to find one of these next. Once the wagon is finished. Probably 2047, lol.

PunKid
07-22-2010, 02:19 PM

I guess I have a little different view. Sure its nice to save as many as you can, But I think I would rather see one car parted out to help save many other cars then to see one car rusting away in a field. Not saying that this particular one should be parted out, its just some are better candid's to save (below the salt belt barn specials) and some are better donors. :)

Directconnection
07-22-2010, 03:06 PM
'90 VNT competition package Shadow (50-trim 2.5 8v 568 *coming summer of 2048! )
'90 VNT ES Shadow

I want to find one of these next. Once the wagon is finished. Probably 2047, lol.

Well, the VNT ES is for sale.... car originally from AZ. But, the friend with all the cars in this thread has been wanting it for the past couple years, and I gave him dibbs on it last month. He's just gotta make room 1st so the wife won't notice;)

Captain Chaos
07-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Well, the VNT ES is for sale.... car originally from AZ. But, the friend with all the cars in this thread has been wanting it for the past couple years, and I gave him dibbs on it last month. He's just gotta make room 1st so the wife won't notice;)

I know I have been thinning my herd. First I sold my P-Vert, (DMV wouldn't let me have that for a tag for some reason, lol) and now the 86S is going bye bye. I like the newer Shadows. I'd love to has one of dem thar yeller ones. :thumb: