PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump keeps running

OnLooker
06-15-2006, 07:50 PM
The fuel pump on my 86 Reliant Turbo Wagon keeps running when I turn the key to the on position instead of just priming and shutting off. Any ideas what it might be? I'm going to try changing out the PM tomorrow.

turbovanmanČ
06-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Check the ASD relay.

Anonymous_User
06-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Check the ASD relay.

Which, on an '86 is internal to the Power Module (I've recently learned!!)

boost geek
06-15-2006, 11:51 PM
Blown diaphram in fpr? Pinch the fuel return line with a vicegrip, see if it shuts off.
just a guess...

MiniMopar
06-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Yep, either the ASD relay control circuit is shorted (should get code 42) or the relay's contacts are shot and have wleded themselves together. Happens often with the radiator fan relay.

OnLooker
06-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Ok, it had the code so I tried changing out power modules. I tryed 2 other power modules and it still does the same thing. I recently changed the trans so I went back and cleaned all the grounds I might have come in contact with and nothing helped. Any ideas or things I should check?

MiniMopar
06-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Something is feeding power to the Z1 circuit (some wiring hack) or there was an issue previously and a mechanic hard-wired it to the ignition feed. This is how it is supposed to work:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/electrical-powerfeeds.html#enginefeed

OnLooker
06-22-2006, 12:27 PM
I don't recall the fuel pump running all the time like it is. The car starts and runs ok. I'll see if I can find another PM that I know is good. I used one from my glhs but that is now converted over to smec and I have no way of testing these power modules but I think it is odd that all of them would do the same thing.

MiniMopar
06-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I would guess that they are not both bad in this way. As I mentioned in my first post, it is possible that the ASD relay control line is shorted to ground though I would expect a code 42 in that case. Do you have an LM you can swap in?

OnLooker
06-22-2006, 04:48 PM
the only spare LM I have is a 87 TII that makes the alternator over charge.

OnLooker
06-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Found a spare 87TI and swapped it out now all is well. Is there any way to fix this lm or is it junk?

MiniMopar
06-23-2006, 10:22 AM
Dunno if it's junk. The output of the ASD relay driver must be shorted. Still not sure why it isn't throwing a code. It still works otherwise, so it might be good to keep around if you ever get in a pinch. I'll usually explain the problem on a piece of paper and attach it to the item.

Might want to take the board out and check for signs of water damage. In those cases, sometimes they can be resurrected by scrubbing the board with acetone and soft brush.