PDA

View Full Version : For Sale: 1991 Spirit R/T, VIN #000003

Pat
07-21-2010, 08:54 AM
1991 Spirit R/T, 148k miles, stock with the exception of a 2.5” mandrel bent exhaust, nice paint, straight, no rust.

This car is somewhat unique, being VIN #000003. Some of the things I’ve noticed since I bought it that are different:

-clear marker lights instead of amber
-plaque on dash says Chrysler instead of Spirit
-cam gears are slightly different
-tag on trans has red print instead of black
-there are hand written part numbers on masking tape all over the car (see attached pic as an example)

I believe that this was a pre production car or a test car of some sort. I have a print out from Chrysler listing the options on the car, which include “Company Car” and ‘Test Car” on there. I also have a car fax (that I have to find!) that shows that the car was sold at auction and was first registered with 11k miles on it in late 1992. Build date on the car is 6/90. In looking at old magazine tests, the white Spirit R/T tested had clear marker lights. I have wondered if this was the car used for magazine tests back in the day, however, I can not verify that.

I bought the car with a blown turbo and a busted radiator. The previous owner started to disassemble it, but never finished. I had the car shipped to me and found that many of the disassembled pieces were gone. I reassembled the car with good parts (rad/IC, all IC lines, turbo, radiator hoses, SBEC) and got it running/driving. Once verified as a runner, I went about making it road worthy. I’ve replaced with new:

-all rubber fuel lines
-intermediate shaft bearings
-headgasket/bolts
-Braided turbo lines
-Tires
-Intake/exhaust manifold gaskets
-Fresh, uncracked head (valve seals, valve job, titanium raised retainers)’
-Oil pan gasket
-New exhaust, high flow cat and muffler

Since assembling, I’ve put about 4k miles on it. It runs, drives and looks good. No smoke, knocks, ticks, etc. Boosts just fine and is nice and quick. A/C works.

It’s a neat car that appears to have some history. I think it would be a great pick up for someone that is an R/T enthusiast. As usual with me, I have a car for a few years, decide to do something different and would like to clear out a bit. The car does not have any rust on it, but has had a piece of the driver’s side floor replaced with metal around the ebrake cable. I haven’t found anything else on it. It’s also been repainted at some point. The only other flaw is that the previous owner cut the rear bumper cover to clear whatever exhaust he had on there, but I have a good white R/T rear bumper cover that goes with the car.

The car is located just northwest of Washington DC in Rockville, MD. If you are interested, please feel free to contact me with any questions. Asking $5800.

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
07-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Wow .pat super nice car, #3 coulda been like a pilot car, so it must be pretty cool
to a collector that car should get $5800 easy
good luck with it!

cobra2411
07-21-2010, 06:33 PM
It's a pilot car. The first 20 or so go down the line at 1/2 speed so everyone can get up to speed on assembling the car. There is usually lots of oversight on the pilot cars. As for the differences, they're likely do to supply chain issues.

Very cool car.

CaptMoe
07-21-2010, 07:02 PM
awesome...:thumb:

BadAssPerformance
07-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Cool history on this one :thumb:

raccoon
07-21-2010, 07:53 PM
oh I bet it went down the line way slower then half speed, I bet they took a month putting the first one together. interesting car :thumb:

i busted out laughing at the part numbers, inside joke.

168glhs1986
07-21-2010, 08:31 PM
I've seen this car in person and it's gorgeous. Good luck with the sale.

zin
07-22-2010, 01:37 AM
Very nice! I'd imagine someone motivated enough could verify it's status as a "Press car", etc.

Had the bank not yanked my HELOC, I might have considered it... Probably saved my marriage though!:nod:

Mike

vntshadow
07-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Very nice car. It even has cold a/c. I want it.

Pat
07-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks everyone. It is a cool car and I'd like someone who appreciates it to have it next.

Couple things to add that I remembered while driving to work. The passenger and trans mounts are new-ish (about 15k miles on them total) from Mopar, the bobble strut is one of the MP Neon bobble struts and it has a poly front mount in it.

Other odd thing about the car that I realized this morning, the tach redline is at 6k, vs the 6500 redline every other Spirit R/T I've ever owned had. I know it's the one that came with the car since at one point, I took it out to resolder the board to correct a funky gauge and found there was a hand written part number taped to the bottom of the cluster.

I'm sure there is more that I'll remember as I think about it

Here are a couple more pics.

Pat
07-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Last ones for now...if someone wants a picture of something specific, please let me know.

Thanks again.

hutwe
07-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Wow! clean

ATaylorRacing
07-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Would you trade for a 47-53 mpg 3 banger Geo...high of 63 mpg...lots of miles but VERY dependable!

BadAssPerformance
07-22-2010, 09:20 AM
^^^ I bet Angelo will even offer to drive it out therer for the trade? ;)

Pat
07-22-2010, 09:54 AM
:
Would you trade for a 47-53 mpg 3 banger Geo...high of 63 mpg...lots of miles but VERY dependable!

Tempting, but I think I'll pass. Besides, you can't give that car up...I hear it's a money maker! :)

ATaylorRacing
07-22-2010, 06:24 PM
:

Tempting, but I think I'll pass. Besides, you can't give that car up...I hear it's a money maker! :)

Just because 3 out of 4 times the 19.9 at 65 mph 3 banger has made money????........or because it goes twice as far per $ of gas than my 12 second SRT4?

:eyebrows: :clap: :lol: :clap2: :focus:

ATaylorRacing
07-22-2010, 07:02 PM
^^^ I bet Angelo will even offer to drive it out therer for the trade? ;)

Heck yeah!!!! That trip one way is only about 10 1/4 hours....about 620 miles. I'd drive there, stay the night, then drive home in a more comfortable car with A/C! Last fall I used it to deliver two complete sets of rims and tires, 4 245x45x17s and 4 275x40x17s to the upper middle west part of IL and to just N or Milwaukee...then home. The trip took nearly 18 hours and covered nearly 850 miles. This car is even more reliable and has better mpgs than it did back then! The car has the Matchbox treatment of being lightened up by 140 lbs (1590 lbs now)....but the dash is still in it, the headliner is still there, and there has been no metal cut out of it and no lexan put in....though I have REALLY considered getting rid of the dash! It was using 1 qt of full synthetic oil every 3000 miles when the oil pan needed resealed and the cam seal was leaking a tiny bit. The cam seal was replaced three times and every time the thing was seriously loosing oil all over under the hood.....ended up being the CRANK seal and now it is USING a qt every 4000 miles....tigtest sealed motor I have ever had. It needs to be since the oil capacity is only 3 1/4 qts and it didn't start to collapse lifters and cut out ntil it was 2 qts low!

:focus::focus::focus::focus::focus:

tsiconquest88
07-22-2010, 11:12 PM
u and that geo lol. In all honesty i would buy it if you were closer. I want a beater with good fuel to mileage ratio lol.

Tony Fields
07-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Very nice car!

Good luck with the sale.

black86glhs
07-23-2010, 06:05 AM
Nice ride Pat. If I had the money, this thread would end. I said my next ride was going to be a spirit r/t. :love:

Now.....<looks around>.....where is that money tree that I was promised for my birthday???:confused2:;)

89FerrariShelby
07-23-2010, 06:18 AM
Man, if i wasn't involved in purchasing a home right now i'd be on this in 2 seconds. I want to add a Spirit R/T and a Rampage to the fleet.

Best of Luck with the sale.

spirit1991
07-23-2010, 06:34 AM
What condition is the paint in? looks nice and shinny from the photos. Also what else might it need? If its near perfect i'd be interested, would be sitting next to my restored red one. Any rust, including the door seams?

Pat
07-23-2010, 07:56 AM
What condition is the paint in? looks nice and shinny from the photos. Also what else might it need? If its near perfect i'd be interested, would be sitting next to my restored red one. Any rust, including the door seams?

The paint is in excellent shape. At some point during the cars life, it was repainted and they did a nice job. It's definitely the nicest R/T I've ever owned. The worst spot I found on the car paint wise was on the panel between the rear window and the trunk lid, where it looks like the edge was touched up a bit.

Seams all look good. I attached pictures of the lower doors (where on others I've noticed rust) to show that they're nice and clean. Like I said, a piece of the drivers side floorboard was replaced with metal, painted up and seam sealed with POR patch. The seam sealer is a bit sloppy (could have been smoother) but it's sealed tight so I left it alone. I haven't found anything else.

If there's something specific you'd like to see, please let me know. I'd be happy to take a few more pictures. Or, I see you're in PA which means depending on where in PA, you may not be too far. You're welcome to come down and see it.

Thanks,
Pat

spirit1991
07-25-2010, 06:14 PM
14 shows it as a test vehicle for corporate use in michigan. Also makes mention of LED tailamps? doesnt make much sense. Along w/ MCR- mopar chrome air deflector? (my 14 shows this same MCR option) Never seen either, prob just errors?

Pat
07-28-2010, 03:34 PM
14 shows it as a test vehicle for corporate use in michigan. Also makes mention of LED tailamps? doesnt make much sense. Along w/ MCR- mopar chrome air deflector? (my 14 shows this same MCR option) Never seen either, prob just errors?

14? What's that?

Also, just an update. Just got back from a 600 mile round trip with the car to eastern Long Island and back, running mostly around 80 mph and got just under 29 mpg. Car ran great.

BadAssPerformance
07-28-2010, 04:53 PM
14? What's that?

Also, just an update. Just got back from a 600 mile round trip with the car to eastern Long Island and back, running mostly around 80 mph and got just under 29 mpg. Car ran great.

Function 14... history check?

Eastern LI? Out for some bidness? ;)

Reeves
07-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Pat,
I'll trade (2) Caravans, and a Horizon for this car.

Let me know.

rx2mazda
07-28-2010, 05:31 PM
I want another Spirit R/T and I would offer to buy this car but I know Pat would just sell it to someone else..............

Pat
07-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Function 14... history check?

Eastern LI? Out for some bidness? ;)

Unfortunately, a death in the family (grandmother) brought me back home. I grew up on Long Island.

Pat,
I'll trade (2) Caravans, and a Horizon for this car.

Let me know.

I'd be living in one of the caravans if I took you up on that offer!

I want another Spirit R/T and I would offer to buy this car but I know Pat would just sell it to someone else..............

You know you want it Carroll...

BadAssPerformance
07-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Sorry to hear the news, my condolences :(

DaveSkrab
07-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Sucks Pat, Sorry to hear..

On a good note... You can also advertise the "certified" window tinting!

Pat
07-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys. Always sad to loose a loved one.

Back to topic, I forgot to mention, AC was on the whole way up and back.

rx2mazda
07-29-2010, 07:48 AM
post number #10 picture #9 ................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeOjEZAkJyg&feature=related

Reeves
07-29-2010, 08:42 AM
I'd be living in one of the caravans if I took you up on that offer!

There's plenty of room!

I'll throw in a Rampage?

Pat
10-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Bumpin' it up...

Been working on other things, so selling the car became a very low priority the past few months. She's still for sale, running great (149.5k on it now) and waiting for a new owner to come and take her away. :-)

Any questions, let me know.

Pat

Reaper1
10-18-2010, 01:43 PM
If only that magic lottery ticket would blow my way....

tsiconquest88
10-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Interesting, my 92 has a chrysler emblem on the dash too.

rx2mazda
10-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Pat, please change you sig pic, thanks!

tsiconquest88
10-24-2010, 08:51 PM
why lol? carroll you have another pm lol thanks man. let me know

Pat
10-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Pat, please change you sig pic, thanks!

Done!

rx2mazda
10-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Gracias! Nice pic BTW!! :thumb:

wecycle
11-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Pat:
Did your R/T sell?
Dennis L. Cote
Delhi, CA

Pat
11-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Pat:
Did your R/T sell?
Dennis L. Cote
Delhi, CA

Hi Dennis,

Nope, still have it. As a matter of fact, drove it to work this morning.

Pat

sphlieger
11-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Very clean looking car.

daver
11-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Wow, can't believe I just saw this. Beautiful condition. Wish mine was that clean. My 000002 has/had the same hand written part numbers around on various pieces.

Pat
11-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Wow, can't believe I just saw this. Beautiful condition. Wish mine was that clean. My 000002 has/had the same hand written part numbers around on various pieces.

I remember that car...you picked it up from Cliff, correct? PM me if you get a chance. I'd love to learn more about that one.

2-U-I-M-GR8
03-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Wow this car still hasn't sold? I am getting closer to owning it then. I will have paid off my first toy this month and then am saving up for that one. Can't wait, of course it will probably sell before then but if not then it's mine. I am keeping an eye on it, make sure you tell us if it sells. Then look out for the flood of my tears. :mecry:

Pat
04-01-2011, 06:21 AM
No, car hasn't sold.

Unfortunately, after waking the car up from it's winter hibernation, I found that the paint began to fail on a few spots on the roof. Very, very disappointing to say the least. I sanded the spots and quickly covered with some paint, but it was a quick job just to protect it. Considering how nice the paint on the car was, I was pretty upset when I found this.

I'm going to clean the car up, snap some new pictures and repost the ad at a reduced price, primarily because of the paint. I have an active family and need to focus my time elsewhere, so I'm becoming more motivated to sell.

Pat

Pat
04-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Attached is a picture of what I found on the roof of the car. I've sinced sanded it down and painted to get it covered up and protect the metal.

To me this very much devalues the car as it really would need to be painted. The only other issues that have surfaced recently is that the head liner is starting to sag a bit in the driver's side rear and I think the oil return line is leaking a bit. It's not signficant, but there is a spot underneath where I park it after driving it to/from work. Everything else from my original description still remains the same.

If anyone is still interested, I'd take $3500 for the car. Less than that, it starts to become worth it to me to use the body of the car, swap the drivetrain with the fresh rebuilt 8v motor and tranny that I have ready to go (so I don't have to worry about it) and use it as a year round driver. It's a nice car with a very interesting history. I'd rather see the car get restored considering it's history, but those of you who know me personally know that I'm not that guy and even if I was, I need a driver.

Lastly, please do not litter the thread or start PM'ing me on why I should or shouldn't make this car a driver. If it's worth restoring, someone should buy it at this price.

Thanks,
Pat

Pat
04-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Buy me, please...save me from Pat and his evil ways....

:-)

ScottD
04-17-2011, 10:34 PM
This is a bargain for a piece of 16v history!

Katlaw
04-18-2011, 11:08 AM
If you drive it up to me I'll buy it for cash! And take you to the airport, heck... I'll even buy you a plan ticket home!

turbojerk
04-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Whats the current bid?

Pat
04-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Whats the current bid?

3500 - from me. Match it and it's yours.

turbojerk
04-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Interested in any trade bait?

Pat
04-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Interested in any trade bait?

Eh, doubtful. Space and cash are more of what I'm after. I just shot you an email though.

89FerrariShelby
04-18-2011, 01:44 PM
I have to talk to the ball and chain, but i am going to pm you tonight....

Pat
04-18-2011, 02:21 PM
I have to talk to the ball and chain, but i am going to pm you tonight....

Sounds good. Buy her flowers on your way home from work...just to get her in the car buyin' mood! :-)

Pat
04-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Sale pending!!!! :-)

Pat
05-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Car left tonight....by now it's probably driving through NY on it's way to MA. Kind of sad to watch it drive away, but the new owner I'm sure will take good care of her.

Turbo3Iroc
05-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Is the new owner a member of NESDAC?

Pat
05-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Yep...and from what I heard, it put down some pretty kick --- numbers at the NE-SDAC dyno day earlier today. :-)

89FerrariShelby
05-07-2011, 03:41 PM
That is right Gentlemen (and ladies)!! As the proud new owner of the car I've always wanted, I can happily say it has joined the ranks of the NESDAC club cars.

Flew down, and Pat was more than accomodating. I left around 7 I think, excited and slightly nervous. The car made the 458 mile trip without incident. Though I refrained from abusing it (being a great distance from home and late at night) on the ride home, everything was wonderful.

This morning I awoke and thought of missing the dyno day. But then I thought about all those meets i've missed simply because i didn't have a car, well now i have another one!!! so i dragged my @$$ out of bed and drove the spirit up.

After some hemming and hawing i decided to put it up on the dyno...what the hell. After about 550 miles of commuting in the past 12 hours, she got strapped down and proceeded to put out something i never expected

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae341/MKwiat2005/2011-05-07_15-28-53_955.jpg

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae341/MKwiat2005/2011-05-07_15-29-08_686.jpg

HOLY CRAP!!! :clap:

Never been so excited after purchasing a car.

Many thanks to Pat for everything.

What Daytona???
:lol:

Pat
05-07-2011, 03:55 PM
That is right Gentlemen (and ladies)!! As the proud new owner of the car I've always wanted, I can happily say it has joined the ranks of the NESDAC club cars.

Flew down, and Pat was more than accomodating. I left around 7 I think, excited and slightly nervous. The car made the 458 mile trip without incident. Though I refrained from abusing it (being a great distance from home and late at night) on the ride home, everything was wonderful.

This morning I awoke and thought of missing the dyno day. But then I thought about all those meets i've missed simply because i didn't have a car, well now i have another one!!! so i dragged my @$$ out of bed and drove the spirit up.

After some hemming and hawing i decided to put it up on the dyno...what the hell. After about 550 miles of commuting in the past 12 hours, she got strapped down and proceeded to put out something i never expected

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae341/MKwiat2005/2011-05-07_15-28-53_955.jpg

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae341/MKwiat2005/2011-05-07_15-29-08_686.jpg

HOLY CRAP!!! :clap:

Never been so excited after purchasing a car.

Many thanks to Pat for everything.

What Daytona???
:lol:

That is awesome, particularly for a stock computer controlled 11 psi, stock SBEC, stock IC, etc.

The best part is that there's more in it...it's running pig rich still. Get that A/F a bit leaner, and 240 is not out of the question.

mcsvt
05-07-2011, 05:24 PM
I didn't put the name to the screen name, nice meeting you today, the car looked great in person!

Turbo3Iroc
05-08-2011, 10:55 PM
That is awesome, particularly for a stock computer controlled 11 psi, stock SBEC, stock IC, etc.

The best part is that there's more in it...it's running pig rich still. Get that A/F a bit leaner, and 240 is not out of the question.

Think maybe this car got a "media" cal? Seems a bit much for 11 psi. Even if it's 13-14 psi it's still nice power.

tsiconquest88
05-08-2011, 11:16 PM
whats a media cal?

shackwrrr
05-09-2011, 12:08 AM
whats a media cal?

most of the stuff that gets reviewed by magazines and TV shows usually has been tinkered with to make it a bit more peppy.

Pat
05-09-2011, 08:35 AM
The car had an FWD 2 bar cal when I bought it...I put an off the shelf stock SBEC back in it when I put the car back together.

Juggy
05-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Think maybe this car got a "media" cal? Seems a bit much for 11 psi. Even if it's 13-14 psi it's still nice power.

I wouldnt be so surprised if I were you. The problem is your used to seeing 9 out of 10 TIII cars put out crappy #s and they are usually much more modded.....!!!!!
apparently it takes 24+psi to *try* and crack 300whp with 16 valves nowadays.....hahahahhaa.....