PDA

View Full Version : Went out to the street legals with "boost geek".

turbovanmanČ
07-17-2010, 03:03 AM
I took Rob's aka Wopr's car out tonight, 92 Daytona Iroc R/T, stock engine with a FWD cal, +40's, 3 bar, Walbro 255, BFMIC, 3 inch turbo back, cat and Magnaflow muffler, old Kumho tires, TU purple plate with I think a 6 puck clutch. The FWD cal wasn't working too well so I just used the stock cal with the 3 bar and +40's, the FWD cal needs some tweaking, no biggie.

Bakes was there taking vid's, I'll post up later and 4cefedomni also came out to watch.

I'll let Dick post up about his Shelby Charger, not sure why it was slowing down. He figured he was running about 18 psi, so 22 more to go, :nod:

The "talent" tonight was amazing, haven't seen that many hot girls, damn.

Anyhow, haven't drag raced a 5 speed before, except Bake's Lancer last year, so steep learning curve, :o. First run, tried to modulate the clutch and keep the brake on, bogged it, spun badly, 5psi of boost? 2.6 60 foot and a whopping 16.4@85, :mecry:

2nd run, turned up the boost, tried to modulate again, spin city, 10 psi, 15.9@90.6.

3rd run, turned up boost again, tried to modulate, nope, spin city, but not as bad as before, but 10 psi?????????? 15.5@90.9.

4th run, boost controller in backwards, no markings, :banghead:, guessed at a setting, Boost Geek finally showed up, so we lined up, now try using the e-brake and it works, sort of but Dick took forever to stage, then I backed off the gas and he staged, she hit the tree, crap, I cut a .239 to his .538, 2.6 to his 2.4, he's on street tires too, 15 psi but went from 2nd to 5th, :banghead:, 15.7@93 to his 13.9@110.7.

5th run, we line up again, tad more boost, me .434 to his .369, both cut 2.3 60's, me getting the hang of shifting now chirping 3rd, 14.4@98.4 to his 13.7@107.8, woo hoo, :thumb:

6th run, put on Juggy's old slicks, started to do burnout but track guy cuts me short after like 2 secs??????????? .635 to Dicks .551, 2.3 60 ft, launching 5 speeds are hard work, lol, he cuts a 2.5, 14.3@98.9 at 17psi to his 14.7@104 mph?????????????I finally beat him.

7th and last run, as the lights at the track quit after this run, we probably could have got another 2-3 runs in easily, :mad:. Turn the boost down a tad, I cut a .385 light to his .471, another crap 60ft at 2.499 to his 2.416, I run a 14.39@100.49 to his 14.6@105.75 and win again, :partywoot:

I chirped 3rd with the slicks and started to learn how to shift quickly, what a blast, almost makes me want to put a 5 speed in the van, :nod:

Probably with the stock cal and 3 bar, wasn't get the full performance of the car but oh well, it was a total blast, need more practice. Now to put the 50 trim on and go back, :amen:

bakes
07-17-2010, 05:05 AM
Ya you never had him ,granny shifting not double clutching like you should have:D

The more power it made the slower the car went ( have to fig out the tire spinning thingy i think) slick are a must on this Rig.

I still can belive the gap Dick closed on you , you had a 4 car or better lead and in a blink of a eye he caught up to you .

boost geek
07-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Last night was fun overall, just couldn't do anything about running slower, 110 straight off the trailer ----- footing it off the line, then all downhill from there. Shifter missed 3th gear again on the 4th run, gonna pull the rod shifter out and put a cable shifter in it, has given me problems at the track before.
This car is always hard to launch with street tires, but now it's even worst, either leave too high or too low. Rev limiter has to be raised too, 7200 is just too low. Every time I raced, except for the third run, it felt like I was doing way more mph than I was actually doing, because when in boost the car pulls SO hard. Traction is a huge issue, I NEED slicks. The engine feels strong, it wants to go, just have to tinker with it to see how I can "unleash "it. ;)

Guess p u s s y footing is a bad word.:p

bakes
07-17-2010, 12:14 PM
You did a good job of keeping it off the wall in 4th with the tires spinning used the whole track up i think and still trapped 107mph.

boost geek
07-17-2010, 12:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdEQ7oFmabI

turbovanmanČ
07-17-2010, 01:01 PM
That was the race I went from 2nd to 5th, :banghead:

bakes
07-17-2010, 01:16 PM
No it wasn't that was the race that dick bogged in the starting line then couldn't find 3rd you were at 3/4 mark when dick was just getting past the 1/8 track when 3rd hook and he caught up to you
the next run after that you missed 2nd.

turbovanmanČ
07-17-2010, 03:19 PM
No it wasn't that was the race that dick bogged in the starting line then couldn't find 3rd you were at 3/4 mark when dick was just getting past the 1/8 track when 3rd hook and he caught up to you
the next run after that you missed 2nd.

It was than run, hence the crappy MPH. I thought I did 8 runs but can't find another time sheet. I ran a 15.7 when I missed 3rd, :(

GLHNSLHT2
07-17-2010, 06:26 PM
does the poor car have any clutch left?? Wopr must have lots of time, money, and energy.

turbovanmanČ
07-17-2010, 06:52 PM
does the poor car have any clutch left?? Wopr must have lots of time, money, and energy.

????????????????????

How would the clutch get smoked? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

Time, money, energy??????????

Directconnection
07-17-2010, 07:27 PM
????????????????????

How would the clutch get smoked? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

Time, money, energy??????????

Going from 2nd to 5th at WOT isn't a good thang :thumb:

Me thinks Jay's hinting to the fact of you missing lotza gears, that the owner could have done that, or better? hehehe

bakes
07-17-2010, 07:34 PM

Me thinks Jay's hinting to the fact of you missing lotza gears, that the owner could have done that, or better? hehehe

:lol::lol:

Directconnection
07-17-2010, 08:14 PM
:lol::lol:

Hey, not what I'm saying..... just what I "believe" someone else is saying here :)

black86glhs
07-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Keep the auto, Simon. Then you won't miss any more gears. LOL.

:lol::lol::lol:

turbovanmanČ
07-18-2010, 01:45 AM

If he was, not sure how going from 2nd to 5th ruins anything? :confused::confused::confused:

Keep the auto, Simon. Then you won't miss any more gears. LOL.

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, the auto is easier but the 5 speed is way more fun, was just getting the hang of it when we got shut down, :(

GLHNSLHT2
07-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Anyhow, haven't drag raced a 5 speed before, except Bake's Lancer last year, so steep learning curve, :o. First run, tried to modulate the clutch and keep the brake on, bogged it, spun badly, 5psi of boost? 2.6 60 foot and a whopping 16.4@85, :mecry:
4th run, boost controller in backwards, no markings, :banghead:, guessed at a setting, Boost Geek finally showed up, so we lined up, now try using the e-brake and it works,

Sounds like you're slipping the clutch while trying to hold the car with the brakes and hitting the gas? Not good for a 6 puck ceramic clutch.

Note to self, don't let simon drive my 5 spd. Wait that won't work after all the stories here, Correction, don't let simon drive any of my cars :)

Directconnection
07-18-2010, 09:40 AM
If he was, not sure how going from 2nd to 5th ruins anything? :confused::confused::confused:

(

If you're shifting real fast, or moreso.... with the gas held to the floor, then yes.... it can smoke the clutch. (was thinking you had the stock clutch still in it)

turbovanmanČ
07-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Sounds like you're slipping the clutch while trying to hold the car with the brakes and hitting the gas? Not good for a 6 puck ceramic clutch.

Note to self, don't let simon drive my 5 spd. Wait that won't work after all the stories here, Correction, don't let simon drive any of my cars :)

Still unsure how slipping it will kill it, that's what its designed for.

If you're shifting real fast, or moreso.... with the gas held to the floor, then yes.... it can smoke the clutch. (was thinking you had the stock clutch still in it)

Specs in the first post, :p

GLHNSLHT2
07-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Still unsure how slipping it will kill it, that's what its designed for.

It's designed to hold more power, not to be slipped excessively to try and spool a turbo.

The Pope
07-18-2010, 03:36 PM
It's designed to hold more power, not to be slipped excessively to try and spool a turbo.

yeah they just eat through the flywheel and PP like a grinder

trannybuster
07-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Kinda like the hot rod with the blue jeans paint job, nice camera work..:thumb:

boost geek
07-18-2010, 08:47 PM
lol, if you're into 13 year olds...

turbovanmanČ
07-18-2010, 08:51 PM

Not trying to spool a turbo.

bakes
07-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Kinda like the hot rod with the blue jeans paint job, nice camera work..:thumb:

Ha HA i think i just heard a safety being released on a shotgun:nod:

boost geek
07-18-2010, 09:01 PM
lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBMos9FJHDg

boost geek
07-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Found some pic's.
The apple of Simon's eye:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/100_3268.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/100_3250.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/100_3254.jpg

wop'r IROC

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/100_3248.jpg

Bakes

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/100_3249.jpg

trannybuster
07-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Akk..lol...move away from the shotgun...not I sire....so I couldnt read the time or mph, was it 115?

boost geek
07-18-2010, 10:15 PM
I wish it was 115, maybe next time.
It was a neck snapping 13.9 @ 110 lol

The ostrich is in the car and running, gotta get the rev limiter bumped up.

turbovanmanČ
07-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks, great pics and yeah, he is, :love:

Do you have the pic where he was posing with his new hat? :lol:

boost geek
07-18-2010, 10:24 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/100_3262.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/100_3263.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/100_3261.jpg

And one for me...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/100_3269-1.jpg

Vigo
07-18-2010, 11:02 PM
Thats a cute kid.

yeah they just eat through the flywheel and PP like a grinder

Not to mention if you get them too hot they glaze and slip and dont recover when they cool down and are no good until you take them out and resurface em. : /

GLHNSLHT2
07-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Not trying to spool a turbo.
Then what's the point of being on the brake, gas and clutch at the same time?

turbovanmanČ
07-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Then what's the point of being on the brake, gas and clutch at the same time?

Just trying to load up the clutch so I can get off the line without bogging it.

So if I am doing wrong, instead of being a dick about it, simply correct me, :p

Thats a cute kid.

Not to mention if you get them too hot they glaze and slip and dont recover when they cool down and are no good until you take them out and resurface em. : /

Thanks, Dick and Vigo, thank god he got his looks from his mother, ;)

Its only being slipped for a few secs.

boost geek
07-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Hey, you post the GLHS in your sig, did you pick it up yet?

GLHNSLHT2
07-18-2010, 11:55 PM
If in someone elses car I let the clutch out till just before it starts moving the car with no brakes then let it out quickly.

As far as gas for a stock turbo car I've found out don't just hold the rpm steady. The car runs in vacuum and doesn't spool the turbo. So it'll bog, raise the rpm then it'll either spin or bog or bog then spin when the boost hits because it has enough rpm to spool it quickly when there's load on the car. So, pump the gas quickly to keep the rpms around your target launch rpm, this acts sort of like a 2 step and spools the turbo up. So when you let the clutch out the turbo's spooling and you can modulate the throttle so it doesn't bog and doesn't spin.

turbovanmanČ
07-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Hey, you post the GLHS in your sig, did you pick it up yet?

No, need the time and Don's busy for the rest of the month, :(

If in someone elses car I let the clutch out till just before it starts moving the car with no brakes then let it out quickly.

As far as gas for a stock turbo car I've found out don't just hold the rpm steady. The car runs in vacuum and doesn't spool the turbo. So it'll bog, raise the rpm then it'll either spin or bog or bog then spin when the boost hits because it has enough rpm to spool it quickly when there's load on the car. So, pump the gas quickly to keep the rpms around your target launch rpm, this acts sort of like a 2 step and spools the turbo up. So when you let the clutch out the turbo's spooling and you can modulate the throttle so it doesn't bog and doesn't spin.

Thanks, makes sense, I am used to loading up the clutch on my bike so it just grabs, have the brake on, revs high enough it won't bog and when the flag drops, out comes the clutch-modulating it and more gas and I nail the starts every time, :thumb:

4cefedomni
07-19-2010, 03:30 AM
No, need the time and Don's busy for the rest of the month:(

If you want to go next weekend I don't have to go camping, I can go get it with you.

Spraynlog
07-19-2010, 05:14 AM
Nice to see you got to the track...even though it wasn't your van.:thumb:
You're doing better than I am.:o

Aries_Turbo
07-19-2010, 11:32 PM
so I just used the stock cal with the 3 bar and +40's, it needs some tweaking, no biggie.

how bout you take a little bit of that cal knowledge and we worked on and you tell me why this is a really bad idea..... :(

Brian

turbovanmanČ
07-19-2010, 11:44 PM
how bout you take a little bit of that cal knowledge and we worked on and you tell me why this is a really bad idea..... :(

Brian

The FWD cal needs tweaking, not the stocker, :p

It was also a one time deal, its only a few degree's more than stock and didn't run much boost so I wouldn't hurt it, which I didn't.

Juggy
07-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Just trying to load up the clutch so I can get off the line without bogging it.

So if I am doing wrong, instead of being a dick about it, simply correct me, :p

Thanks, Dick and Vigo, thank god he got his looks from his mother, ;)

Its only being slipped for a few secs.

every few seconds adds up...especially when its ceramic which loves to glaze......REV IT UP and DUMP IT.....fwd cars want spinning tires to help create momentum (to a point)

I wish it was 115, maybe next time.
It was a neck snapping 13.9 @ 110 lol

The ostrich is in the car and running, gotta get the rev limiter bumped up.

once u throw some slicks on that MPH is most likely going to come down a few my car was hittin 117-118 on street meats

Aries_Turbo
07-20-2010, 01:12 PM
The FWD cal needs tweaking, not the stocker, :p

It was also a one time deal, its only a few degree's more than stock and didn't run much boost so I wouldn't hurt it, which I didn't.

the FWD cal may need tweaking....

the stock cal doesnt need tweaking..... when used with a STOCK map sensor and injectors! :)

i dont know the exact timing values for the T3 but i know on some of them, it could be as much as 3 deg @ 14psi. with race gas and a scanner to monitor knock, no problem. otherwise, not the best idea. :)

you realize that this sounds like you saying "the van was running like ---- so turned the boost to 30psi and went for it.... and the motor popped!" ;)

Brian

turbovanmanČ
07-20-2010, 01:22 PM
the FWD cal may need tweaking....

the stock cal doesnt need tweaking..... when used with a STOCK map sensor and injectors! :)

i dont know the exact timing values for the T3 but i know on some of them, it could be as much as 3 deg @ 14psi. with race gas and a scanner to monitor knock, no problem. otherwise, not the best idea. :)

you realize that this sounds like you saying "the van was running like ---- so turned the boost to 30psi and went for it.... and the motor popped!" ;)

Brian

I know, Rob said about 3 deg, which is why I kept it at low boost and I know, not the best idea but it worked, was fun and won't be done again.

And yeah, the stock cal is fine, :thumb:

Aries_Turbo
07-20-2010, 07:11 PM
shakes head....... :)

turbovanmanČ
07-20-2010, 07:34 PM
shakes head....... :)

Yeah, yeah, and wagging finger, :lol: