PDA

View Full Version : Neon Brake parts

ShelbyTurbo
07-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Anybody have any luck with the slotted rotors from Rock Auto?

I'm thinking of going with these for my next set of rotors, and would like to know if they are made in the USA at least. My current set of ebay drilled/slotted rotors lived up to the price I paid. They are slightly warped, and cracked all to hell. I've had good luck with Brembo OE replacement rotors, and would like to buy those, but they are almost impossible to find.

Mopar318
07-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Whats wrong with the stock replacments? Do you have four wheel disc? It seems that four wheels disc are more than enough for the neon with its little 14 inch rims.

Check on Tirerack.com I think I remember seeing brembos.

Bardo
07-13-2010, 01:58 PM
A friend of mine (turbopirate on here) did scca with his neon ft for years using the factory roters with hawk pads and they worked out perfect. Why did you want,to,go with sloted?

ShelbyTurbo
07-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Whats wrong with the stock replacments? Do you have four wheel disc? It seems that four wheels disc are more than enough for the neon with its little 14 inch rims.

Check on Tirerack.com I think I remember seeing brembos.

I figured that by buying the slotted rotors from Rock Auto I would have a better shot at some USA made rotors at least.

I would much prefer a set of Brembo OEM replacements, the last set I had were awesome, but got chewed away by a crappy set of Ceramic pads (never again). I've got about 50k on the current set of Pads/rotors, which are el-cheapo ebay drilled and slotted rotors (never again!) and Hawk street pads (will buy again!). With the cheap rotors and new Hawk pads I could brake hard enough to pick the rear wheels off the ground (yeah, its probably time for front shocks, too!).

Edit: Yes, I have 4 wheel discs, with no ABS, the best combo available for the 1G. I would say that I've never been wanting for stopping power, except for when I used Ceramic pads.

Bardo
07-13-2010, 02:59 PM
With the cheap rotors and new Hawk pads I could brake hard enough to pick the rear wheels off the ground (yeah, its probably time for front shocks, too!).

Many neon do that even with new shocks

Mopar318
07-13-2010, 04:12 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Brembo&model=Replacement+Rotor&group=Replacement+Rotor&autoMake=Dodge&autoModel=Neon+ACR&autoYear=1998&autoModClar=

I would go with the powerslots for the front. Awsome rotors when I used them on my dakota.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Power+Slot&model=Power+Alloy+Rotor&group=Power+Alloy+Rotor&autoMake=Dodge&autoModel=Neon+ACR&autoYear=1998&autoModClar=

ShelbyTurbo
07-13-2010, 04:36 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Brembo&model=Replacement+Rotor&group=Replacement+Rotor&autoMake=Dodge&autoModel=Neon+ACR&autoYear=1998&autoModClar=

I would go with the powerslots for the front. Awsome rotors when I used them on my dakota.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Power+Slot&model=Power+Alloy+Rotor&group=Power+Alloy+Rotor&autoMake=Dodge&autoModel=Neon+ACR&autoYear=1998&autoModClar=

lol!

Estimated Availability: Fewer than 2
Manufacturer Part #: 126.63039SL

Crosses fingers....

Mopar318
07-16-2010, 07:23 AM
On my ACR it brakes fine with stock brakes but it is physically hard to push the brakes. I am wondering if it is normal or if there is a leak in the booster.

Bardo
07-16-2010, 07:44 AM
On my ACR it brakes fine with stock brakes but it is physically hard to push the brakes. I am wondering if it is normal or if there is a leak in the booster.

I'll bet the booster is leaking. My neon isn't like that but its not a acr

Mopar318
07-16-2010, 04:44 PM
I'll bet the booster is leaking. My neon isn't like that but its not a acr

I actually like the way it feels. Gives more feeling in the brakes..that why I wondered if it was a intentional design.

Sgt Craig
07-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Hawk or performance friction pads all around with stock rotors stops great.Not worth it IMO for slotted and drilled.

Mopar318
07-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Hawk or performance friction pads all around with stock rotors stops great.Not worth it IMO for slotted and drilled.

Slotted rotors are great when your doing lots of stopping because it reduces the amount of brake fade greatly. Made a huge difference in stopping on my dakota. I would never get drilled rotors though...they seem almost worthless IMO.

RoadWarrior222
07-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Best rotors I ever had are on my voyager now, they had STOP! on the box and were made in Canada I think. Had the stop sign symbol, otherwise the box was white. Those and a set of midgrade rivetted pads have been excellent, never felt any fade, and the braking is very linear to pedal force, it's easy to get very precise amount of brake effort. Even at 6 years old with 215 tires on and a loaded up van they feel nowhere near close to being overwhelmed, bury the pedal and it's like you dropped anchor, and it will haul it up very short. From 30mph the other day, an Explorer pulled out of a stopped line of traffic I was passing, and I stopped in what seemed to be about 2 lengths of the van, he was very close to me when he pulled out, and I brought it to a complete halt in case he saw me halfway out and froze (Like that would do any good then, but you know how people are) It was "squik" and I'm standing still... and all the other drivers around are boggle eyed and shaking their heads.