PDA

View Full Version : Starter makes buzzing noise?

BoostedDrummer
07-13-2010, 01:44 AM
Short story. Have a 1986 Omni GLH with a 1988 Daytona Shelby Z engine swapped in. Im using 1986 GLH electronics with a 1986 GLHS calibration. I took the 1988 Daytona starter wires off and used the original 1986 starter wire harness. All the wires, except for the AIS and TPS, are conected and run. There's no battery and no LM in the car, we just hooked a battery charger to the hot and negative terminals because I wanted to test the horn. Anyways, when we did that the starter made a buzzing noise. I looked under the car and we did it again and it was not arcing or anything. What could cause this?

Vigo
07-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Well, you got volts going where they shouldnt go. Luckily, there's only two possible wires it could be on. First, i would disconnect the solenoid wire (the smaller, usually brown one) and see if the noise stops. I think it will.. then you can go back from there and figure out where the voltage is coming from. Voltage on the main (big red) wire shouldnt do anything since there is constant voltage there and the circuit is only completed by the solenoid actuating. But, if the noise is still there even with the solenoid wire off/disconnected, then the problem is inside the starter.

black86glhs
07-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Maybe someone put a bomb in it while you weren't looking and it malfunctioned?