PDA

View Full Version : GLHT TII conversion: Upper and lower radiator hose modifications?

Clay
06-14-2006, 09:23 PM
What do you guys normally do for the upper and lower radiator hose on a GLHT w/ TII conversion using an 89 TII daytona rad/ic combo?

Right now I have an upper rad hose from an 89 daytona that I think will fit ok (no, I havent checked yet).

I thought about getting an 89 daytona lower rad hose and chopping out a section in the middle to make it fit, but no one in town carries one in stock.

anyway, let me know if anything "bolts in" or other ideas. Right now Im going to section the stock GLHT lower hose to make it work, but that seems half assed to me.

thanks,
clay

GLHS592
06-14-2006, 10:22 PM
The turbo II Daytona upper hose is the one you need. Cut about 1" off of each end and you're ready to install. I don't know if the Daytona lower hose will work or not. I used a regular turbo L-body lower hose. I cut it off and used the elbow I cut from the stock radiator so it would meet up with the Daytona radiator.

Keito
06-15-2006, 06:32 AM
I took a stock GLH hose, cut it in the middle, went to the hardware store
and bought a piece of pipe that connects to the bottom of a sink.
Cut to length, and pieced it in. Fit's the ID of the hose.
And it's chrome!:eyebrows:

Clay
06-15-2006, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I was going to do that, but the stock Daytona upper fits pretty well. Its a little long, but it works if you angle it right.

The one Im going to have "issues" with (Only becuase I dont like to half assing stuff) is the lower hose. In order to get it running tonight Im going to have to Frankenstein a lower hose. Eventually Ill find something that fits better.

clay

BadAssPerformance
06-15-2006, 08:28 AM
upper hose - replace with custom welded pipe assembly

lower hose - make a g-body stocker work

air box - replace with cone above trans (ok) or in front of trans (better if you can get it to fit

Daytona T2 stuff in my shadow

http://www.badassperformance.com/mrides/clone/performance/intercooler_pipe.JPG

Clay
06-15-2006, 08:30 AM
JT you so crazy.......... Ive got the IC piping knocked out. Im working on the radiator hoses! ;)

BadAssPerformance
06-15-2006, 08:34 AM
ROLF, more like sleep deprived... well one more post before I go operate heavy machinery, lol

guess I figured that the radiator hoses are the eeeeeasy part. Looks like everyone else answered your question well :thumb:

Clay
06-15-2006, 08:43 AM
hehehe, yeah, Ive got a plan, I just need DO IT!

Clay
06-15-2006, 09:02 AM
Here is another quick question for ya. On the GLHT there was a fitting on the radiator for a heater hose to go to.

There is no fitting on the 89 Daytona radiator, so how is the heater core fed in the daytonas? Im not hooking any of the lines up, but one day I may want to.

clay

tryingbe
06-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Stock GLH-T upper hose.
Stock 89 TI lower hose.

In th Daytona, there should be a water outlet under the waterpump and a water inlet under the thermostat housing

http://www.hardcars.com/thepriestmike/omni/omnialmost_2999.JPG

Clay
06-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Ok, thanks for the info!!!! Looks like if I want to add heat Ive got to do something different with the water pump, or figure a way to tap into another part of the cooling system.

clay

GLHS592
06-15-2006, 01:14 PM
I had a friend of mine braze a heater hose nipple onto my Daytona radiator. Just drill a hole and you're set.

Here is the Daytona upper hose in my car.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/SC_ENGINE103.JPG

tryingbe
06-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Oh, just so you know, I'm not using a stock IC and I have the a/c condesor in a 85 GLH-T.

86Shelby
06-15-2006, 08:08 PM
For the lower hose I rummaged through a parts store's selection with my old GLHS hose and compared until I found something that would work with some creative thinking. I beleive it ended up being from a Daytona or a Shadow; can't remember offhand.

I'm also using a Daytona Radiator and an Lbody WP housing. Niether of them have nipples on them. I didn't have time to get the nipple put on the radiator so I went down to the hardware store and got a 'presoldered' brass/copper water pipe T connector. 2 ends have the right diameter for the radiator hose and the other end is the right diameter for the heater hose. Maybe 1"x1"x5/8"?? The good thing about the presoldered connections is that they already have a nipple on them, which is filled with solder. Heat it up, wipe out the solder and you have a very nicely built T connection for just a couple bucks. Bulk hose for the heater core to the T connection and you're set.

Clay
06-16-2006, 12:12 AM
Ok, searched autozone.com and advanceautoparts.com and found what they had in stock. I had them bring out a couple of the ones at autozone (an 89 2.5 TI shadow and an 89 TBI Daytona). The shadow one looked to be close so I purchased it.

Got it home and cut about 8" or so out of the one straight section, put in a hose splicer, and wa-la! Fit like a glove. It goes over the front motor mount, unlike the stock L-body one which goes under it, but it does fit nice!

thanks everyone!

clay