PDA

View Full Version : Problems with GLH omni

Ubmbass
07-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Hi, I have an 85 glh non turbo omni that doesn't get fuel to the carb.. It needs a fuel pump and FPR , I can't find anyplace to buy the right parts for what I need. I find the turbo in tank pumps, and the FPR that mounts under the hood, but not the stock one that mounts just out of the tank after the in-tank pump. Please someone help me!

turbovanmanČ
07-12-2010, 01:33 AM
Are you looking for stock?

You can buy universal carb electric pumps that will do the trick without a need for an FPR.

Ubmbass
07-12-2010, 11:51 PM
would that be one that could mount in the tank? or external?

turbovanmanČ
07-13-2010, 01:18 AM
would that be one that could mount in the tank? or external?

External.

sdac guy
07-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Hi, I have an 85 glh non turbo omni that doesn't get fuel to the carb.. It needs a fuel pump and FPR , I can't find anyplace to buy the right parts for what I need. I find the turbo in tank pumps, and the FPR that mounts under the hood, but not the stock one that mounts just out of the tank after the in-tank pump. Please someone help me!
I had an 85 GLH which I bought new. It did not have an in tank pump. It had a mechanical pump on the front of the engine with no FPR. There is a roll over check valve (small square thingy) located on the fuel line a little ways outside of the tank.

Barry

Ubmbass
07-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Hmm, then mine must have been modified at one point or another. Could you give me a complete run down, and perhaps some pics of your stock fuel system? I'd like to know what it will take to get mine back to stock, functioning operation

cordes
07-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I will have to check my carb car and post back what it has going on fuel pump wise. I should be out in the garage tomorrow.

sdac guy
07-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Hmm, then mine must have been modified at one point or another. Could you give me a complete run down, and perhaps some pics of your stock fuel system? I'd like to know what it will take to get mine back to stock, functioning operation

Can't take pics as I no longer have that car, got rid of it in 1990 to buy my current 1986 GLHT. But the FSM references the setup well as well as the MP 2.2 performance book.

But there should be a mechanical fuel pump on the front of the motor just behind the alternator. The lines from it run up the front of the engine and over the left edge of the valve cover to the carb. The fuel filter is on the lines just above and to the left of the distributor.

Typically, carbs cars only run about 7-10 psi of fuel pressure and that is about the limit of the stock mechanical pump, hence no FPR is needed.

Just for reference, on turbo Omni's, the fuel lines run up the strut tower and connect to the fuel rail and FPR behind the cam cover. So if that is where your fuel lines are, then your car may have started life as a turbo car.

At the fuel tank how many wires do you have going to it? On a carb car the only leads there should be for the fuel level sending unit (for the gauge on the dash). On a tank with an intank pump, there should be those leads plus power and ground for the pump, for a total of 3-4 wires all together.

Barry

Ubmbass
07-15-2010, 12:19 AM
I'll check that tomorrow. I'm not a noob when it comes to the turbo cars, but these carb'd cars really confuse me hahaha

ATaylorRacing
07-17-2010, 08:40 AM
I NEVER had a problem with Matchbox when it was stock....UNTIL there was a recall on it to replace the on the motor pump with an electric one at the tank and the little fuel filter was replaced with a larger one. This is what I have done to make my car run correctly:

Removed the replacement stock electric fuel pump
Replaced with a Holley Red electric mounted near the fuel tank.
Removed the original fuel pressure regulator that was mounted near the fuel tank as part of the recall
Placed it under the hood in a easy to reach area...set at about 2.75 psi only.
Moved ALL of the stock fuel lines that are on top of the motor to as far away from the head as possible...what the heck were those engineers thinking?!
Removed the larger fuel filter near the carb and replaced with the original small version (this was later replaced with another aftermarket one the has only a inlet and outlet.
Removed the fuel filter sock in the tank and replaced it with a aftermarket filter near the carb.
Removed the charcoal cannister and replaced it with a fuel filter.

Every since this was done I have had no troubles at all....until the carb finally took a dump and was replaced early this year. My first carb died in about 1990 and was replaced with the non-feedback type...which was dying near the end of last year and finally died early this year. It was replaced with a 32/36 Weber and the exact same jets were swapped over. Now I have slightly leaned out the secondary side to run more consistant in the 1/4.

sdac guy
07-17-2010, 12:56 PM
I never knew there was a recall on the stock pump. I had my 85 until 1989 and never got a notice on it.

Good info Angelo! :thumb:

Barry

Ubmbass
07-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Wow, that was really helpful info, thanks alot! I knew there had to be something weird going on with that in-tank pump and fpr setup

Ubmbass
07-17-2010, 01:15 PM
When you say you replaced the charcoal cannister with a fuel filter, how did you do that exactly? I'm not exactly sure how they work.

strang3majik
07-21-2010, 11:21 PM
My 85 GLH has an in tank electric fuel pump and I can tell it has never been modified in the life of the car as it has wires running through the floor (which still had the factor blue overspray around it, through a rubber gromet, under the carpet up to the fuse box with a fuse in the fuse box for it. My lines run around the valve cover and it has a plate on the front of the engine blocking where a mechanical would go.

And the lady I got it from was the original owner who gave me all the service records, and none of them speak of anything fuel related.

So...your car probably is stock. Maybe some just came that way?