PDA

View Full Version : quick disconect down pipe?

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
12-29-2005, 10:17 PM
ive herd this idea kicked around before. some type of coupler so the dp bolts dont have to come off every time. has this been done anywere? sounds like a good idea.

riceboyler
12-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Do you mean an exhaust cut out?

Clay
12-29-2005, 10:29 PM
You have a few options. You could have a good exhaust shop put in a header style 3 bolt connection so you could just unbolt the pipe after the down pipe.

BUT if you have a good exhaust shop that could do that, then they could just install a cut out in the DP and call it good.

You could even go as far as to get an electrically actuated cut out that opens with the flip of a switch.

clay

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
12-29-2005, 10:38 PM
not a cut out. instead of removing the dp bolts everytime the engine or head had to come off, cut the dp and have a coupler or something so you dont have to fight those damn bolts. take a peice of the down pipe with the turbo.

tryingbe
12-29-2005, 10:52 PM
I rather take those two bolts off than taking the head out with the downpipe.

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
12-29-2005, 11:02 PM
not the whole dp. just a few inches.

Clay
12-29-2005, 11:04 PM
yeah, then you need what I was talking about, a 3 bolt "header" type flange setup. a good exhaust shop can probalby make you one, OR you can probably buy the thing through summit and have a shop install it for you.

clay

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
12-29-2005, 11:08 PM
ok, i understad what your talking about.

GLHSKEN
12-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Install the bolts with "flanged nuts" and GOOD anti seize and thery are not an issue... My son and I just pulled the head off my Daughters SC today in 45 minutes... Antiseize on those bolts does wonders.. Usually the biggest pita of the whole job!!

deuce dodge
12-30-2005, 05:19 PM
K-BRIGGS

this is the "dirty way" i grind them off and toss.........works super good at junk yard.........and if you get one of those cheep ones from walmart buy two and bring an extra battery.

with the wheel type (my choice)you could even cut stubborn bolts.....wow maybe even those huge wheel nuts..........need to try that one.:)

deuce

8valves
01-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Or you can buy a V band connector. I run one right off of my turbo and it's just one 13MM nut and the downpipe, O2 sensor, everything is free and clear.

Aaron Miller

cordes
01-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Or you can buy a V band connector. I run one right off of my turbo and it's just one 13MM nut and the downpipe, O2 sensor, everything is free and clear.

Aaron Miller

Is that a custom setup that you made, or did you get something like on the ATP site?

BadAssPerformance
01-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Install the bolts with "flanged nuts" and GOOD anti seize and thery are not an issue... My son and I just pulled the head off my Daughters SC today in 45 minutes... Antiseize on those bolts does wonders.. Usually the biggest pita of the whole job!!

+1 for the antiseize...

also, if you take it apart more often they dont seize up! LOL

8valves
01-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Is that a custom setup that you made, or did you get something like on the ATP site?

Well, one could be made very easily, just cut a 3" section out of the DP and put in the junction and clamp it... but on the 30R the exhaust outlet is a direct V band connection, so you don't have a choice! They are available with a 4 bolt T3 outlet as well though for less money.

Aaron Miller

cordes
01-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Well, one could be made very easily, just cut a 3" section out of the DP and put in the junction and clamp it... but on the 30R the exhaust outlet is a direct V band connection, so you don't have a choice! They are available with a 4 bolt T3 outlet as well though for less money.

Aaron Miller

That is what I thought, thanks for clarifying.

yogurt_slinger
01-03-2006, 12:04 AM
V-BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb: I sold one exactly like this one to Jason, ask him to see it, its SWEET.

BadAssPerformance
01-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Thats a pretty nice SV! :thumb:

Aries_Turbo
01-03-2006, 01:50 AM
what about just cutting the downpipe at a straight section and using a stainless band clamp? i have quite a few of those in my exhaust for easy removal.

even if you cut it as it starts to go under the car, when you take off the clamp, you can swivel the stub pipe under the turbo out of the way.

im thinking v-band is easier though....

Brian

Dave
01-03-2006, 02:08 PM
V-BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb: I sold one exactly like this one to Jason, ask him to see it, its SWEET.

That's awesome. :thumb: Is that a 2.5" diameter? I don't really get the concept of how the downpipe hooks to it...

Nice looking turbo though, T3/T4?

8valves
01-03-2006, 02:13 PM
That's awesome. :thumb: Is that a 2.5" diameter? I don't really get the concept of how the downpipe hooks to it...

Nice looking turbo though, T3/T4?

The flange that is on the end of his SV will press up against an identical flange on the DP. A V band style clamp holds on to both of those flanges and clamps over them... pretty simple really.

Aaron Miller

Clay
01-03-2006, 02:18 PM

Sweet!! Got any more of those?? In maybe a 3" flavor?

yogurt_slinger
01-03-2006, 06:56 PM
That swingvalve was made from a 2 1/4" swingvalve. It is 3". Talk to Mike Radowski, he is the one who came up with that work of art.

MiniMopar
01-04-2006, 01:46 AM
Yeah, I've really not had trouble with those bolts. I use two long extensions to get them on/off from behind the K-frame and always use the flanged nuts that have the plate tacked to them on both sides. Slather with antisieze going on and soak them with PB coming off. Oh yeah, and use a 6-point socket.

I only had one that I had to cut off and that was because someone already rounded the bolt head off.